News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Better wind protection

Started by ghulst, May 05, 2016, 11:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

ghulst

Ok, I was going to use the Tiger to go to Brussels, but it is pouring down. :( Choosing to be a softy and take the car instead. There will be other opportunities to test it. Probably Wednesday. ;)

ghulst

Did a quick run this morning. Got up to 170km/h... No, officer, I only did that imaginary speed...

Anyway, it does relieve the body of a lot of the wind pressure. That is very nice. Downside is that it directs the wind to my head on ear/eye level, so it hasn't gotten any quieter. But it does relieve pressure, so it will make me less tired after a day of riding, I recon.

London_Phil

Glad to hear its an improvement.

ghulst

ghulst

Ok, a new frame has been in my garage for a couple of weeks now, but I haven't had a chance to put it in. Any tips on the easiest way to take out the old sub frame and putting in the replacement frame?

Sin_Tiger

There's nothing really tricky about it. Only thing I can think of that might trip you up is the cable loom routing, so take plenty of photos before you start.

Be careful with the wires going into the big multi block connectors as they will be stiff to pull apart and the wires may be fragile. Now is a good time to clean the connector terminals up and apply a liberal amount of dielectric grease to keep the crap out.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

ghulst

As the Tiger was parked because of the radiator anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and change the subframe. I was a bit apprehensive about this as there's so much wiring in the fairing, but it had to be done.

So, after a while I ended up with this:

And after a full afternoon of hard work, I was back where I started, but with a new subframe. Job done. Fingers hurting. ;)

Sin_Tiger

I forgot to say, now is also a good time to take the headlamps off and clean out the inside. Nothing harsh, just mild soapy water and those big cotton buds used for removing make up, I don't sleep with mascara on  :augie, attached to a chop stick or similar. You'll be amazed at the difference in light output and the muck that comes out.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

That's another good tip. We'll see when though. I just put them back on. And it is not a hard job to do. ;)