News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What would be your bike lineup if...

Started by ghulst, May 09, 2016, 04:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Ok, based on my completely derailing topic on improving wind protection on the steamer, we seem to have gone off into a discussion on the perfect bike for everything.

We all know those "if you could only have one bike, which one would you choose?" threads, so I didn't want to start one of those, because we all want to have multiple bikes anyway. So, I thought it would be fun to see lists of your ultimate bike lineup.

Rules:
- Anything goes. New, old whatever you love, as long as it is a bike.
- Money is no object, but don't do a list of all bikes ever. Pick a bike for the things you do. So, though it could be fun to have five Tigers, three GS's and four KTM's, lets restrict the bikes you choose to what they are good at. Ok?
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

ghulst

In no particular order:

- Steamer for local small dykes and paved country roads (This is what I currently use the steamer for)
- BMW R1200GS for long stretches of motorway and paved roads with luggage. (Might even be tempted towards R1200RT.) (This is what I currently use the steamer for)
- KTM Super Duke 1290 for sheer hooliganism and the torque that still makes it rideable at an easy pace (I have once used the steamer's power for hooliganism. It works.)
- Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/KTM small 400cc enduro for off road and off road travel (This is what I currently have my Transalp for.)

(And maybe, maybe something like an R6 for circuit days to improve my technique. ;) )
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Mustang

Depends how you set em up .....................
3 different steamers for 3 different applications
(what did you expect it's a tiger web site  :rfl )

Steamer for off road adventures (not single track)

Steamer for hauling the mail (long distance )

Steamer for hauling doggies and kids or lumber

nickjtc

Mustang is right, of course. A Steamer is a great all rounder.

However for me the bike I'm riding at that particular time is the best one for what I want to do.

Having had multiple bikes in the shed/car port/garage/lean to at one time, and now being down to two, I think I could, if pushed, manage with just one.....

If I had to choose it would be a small/mid size (250-500cc in old money) dual purpose. Good for tootling off road and still capable of touring, as long as you are patient. Did the Rockies on my '79 XT500 (accompanied by a friend on the XL250 I am about to buy), and the north western States on my XR650 (and a friends DR650).
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Nick Calne

Mustang. What an answer. Good work sir!  For me... something like...

A steamer for everything. There is no substitute for excellence. Except perhaps...

An Africa Twin (new, in white thanks, if you have a spare) for everything but in a genuinely reliable way. It is the future.

A dirt bike because I love the smell of two stroke in the morning. KTM 300 ringadingding brarrrp ningning whoa crunch ouch f*ck it. :nap

Maybe a Guzzi v7 with a few tweaks for bar hopping, misguided attempts to look cool and chatting up birds. :love10
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JayDub

One pretty steamer  :love10...
and one ugly, stripped down, tuned, rat style don't-give-a-toss-if-I-drop-it steamer  :bad
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: Nick Calne on May 09, 2016, 09:41:03 PM
Maybe a Guzzi v7 with a few tweaks for bar hopping, misguided attempts to look cool and chatting up birds. :love10

What, Nick...??? Wouldn't a Bonneville or Thruxton do......  :augie

Sin_Tiger

The Steamer, to amaze myself every time I ride it or just sit and look at and think "how right they got it first time (the few technical design foibles aside)"

The Steamer outfit because it's fun and practical in an impractical sorry of way and kick myself for not doing it sooner.

The Trophy to remind me how fast triumphs have come in such a short space of time. Get it out and go, touring, shopping, dentist or just for the hell of it.

A Thruxton (maybe even a new R) for brief hooligan moments and to be able to upstage Nick at Starbucks  :mut although I must admit a Guzzi is the very close next best thing.

So I'm pretty fortunate as it stands but as for a wish list:-

A CCM for that desert / mountain trip that most of us can't reach the bit to scratch.

My old MkII Squariel, God knows where it is,  I doubt I'll ever find it let alone get it back. Because I loved the different engineering that was happening in the late 50's and it really predated the Grand Tourers that we see now IMHO.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Quote from: nickjtc on May 09, 2016, 11:10:31 PM
What, Nick...??? Wouldn't a Bonneville or Thruxton do......  :augie

You can have too much of a good thing, and variety is the spice of life.

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 09, 2016, 11:44:18 PM
A CCM for that desert / mountain trip that most of us can't reach the bit to scratch. .

Do you mean one of these?: http://www.motorsportscanada.ca/WOW/ccm/ccm.html

Have they sold many of them over there yet?

I was impressed by the build quality of the one they had at the bike show a few years ago. Never seen one on the road here, though.

tech141

Here is my ride when I am picking up chicks....

It's SUPPOSED to be dirty - It's a Tiger.

threepot

Think Triumph's current line up 'tick' most of the boxes,in most of the categories?
Agree with Sin..The 'steamer' still 'rocks' though! :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

Quote from: tech141 on May 11, 2016, 01:46:13 PM
Here is my ride when I am picking up chicks....

Ok. Who amongst us had a bike like this as a kid?
And who really hurt their nuts on the gear lever every single time they bumped into a kerb or whatever?
:bug_eye

JayDub

Quote from: Nick Calne on May 11, 2016, 09:02:17 PM
Ok. Who amongst us had a bike like this as a kid?
And who really hurt their nuts on the gear lever every single time they bumped into a kerb or whatever?
:bug_eye
:nod Mine was a 'Dragster' none of yer boring old Choppers for me.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Mine had wooden blocks bolted to the pedals just so I could reach them  :icon_wink: