News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Trip

Started by nickjtc, May 22, 2016, 05:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: ghulst on May 25, 2016, 07:27:28 AM
So how did you solve the tent problem?

Trying to find a place that sells tents poles. Fortunately it is not an issue until I get to Florida.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JoeDirt

Quote from: nickjtc on May 25, 2016, 02:15:28 PM
Trying to find a place that sells tents poles. Fortunately it is not an issue until I get to Florida.

Look for Bass Pro, Cabelas or Gander Mountain stores... they are all outdoor sporting goods stores.

nickjtc

Quote from: JoeDirt on May 25, 2016, 02:36:39 PM
Look for Bass Pro, Cabelas or Gander Mountain stores... they are all outdoor sporting goods stores.

Thanks. If in doubt I'll go to the local WalMart and buy a new tent + fly for $25!!!

nickjtc

Alrighty then. A longish day today, not helped by getting slightly off track, twice. It was nice and sunny at the end (too warm for long johns) but a bit gloomy mid day. Belle Fourche, SD (pronounced Foosh) to Hastings, NE: riding distance 932km/578m.

The bike is consistently getting high 50s to low 60s mp(Imperial)g on 91 octane. I'm going to experiment, starting tomorrow, with 89 octane to see if it makes a diff. Having said that most of the fuel places I've stopped at only had 85 ("might not meet manufacturers recommended octane level"), 87 and 91. And before you chaps in the UK get raised eyebrows, remember that the way they measure octane here is different than there.

On with the story.

Here is the marker in Belle Fourche for the centre of the 50 United States

(Actually it isn't the exact centre of the 50 States. That is in a farmers field about 20 miles north of town. Close enough for the tourism industry, I s'pose.)

I had to say that I had visited Sturgis, but am glad it wasn't during Bike Week. Look it up.

Deadwood is where Wild Bill Hickok met his maker

Here is a place that needs no introduction. Oh, all right, I'll spell it out for you: t-o-u-r-i-s-t t-r-a-p :icon_lol:

And from a lesser known angle. Taken when I was proceeding to ride in the wrong direction

Yet another state line

JoeDirt

Quote from: nickjtc on May 26, 2016, 04:10:14 AM
Thanks. If in doubt I'll go to the local WalMart and buy a new tent + fly for $25!!!

Spoken like a true American!  :*&*

nickjtc

Quote from: JoeDirt on May 26, 2016, 04:28:53 AM
Spoken like a true American!  :*&*

Much as I hate shopping there, sometimes needs must. It's a sad state of affairs when a set of replacement poles is the same or more expensive than a whole new tent. :icon_wink:

Chris Canning

I'm always the one at the back of the room not paying attention but the Custer thing has so where are you actually heading for.

As a non Yank what's their attitude to you(be honest :icon_wink:)

Surprised at how open the ground is where the 7th cavalry came unstuck :icon_eek:

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on May 26, 2016, 10:16:53 PM
I'm always the one at the back of the room not paying attention but the Custer thing has so where are you actually heading for.

As a non Yank what's their attitude to you(be honest :icon_wink:)

Surprised at how open the ground is where the 7th cavalry came unstuck :icon_eek:

Heading for Florida. More about that when I get there.

Non-Yank vis-à-vis?? The Custer thing??

It's all rolling land up above the Little Bighorn River. When Custer realised that he had come unstuck he had no choice but to retreat from the native village down by the river, only to be over run up the hill by their superior numbers and firepower.

nickjtc

Today started well, went pear shaped and ended better than expected. 511km/311 miles. Hastings, NE to Cameron, MO.

First job was to visit the local WalMart and pick up a new tent for the trip. $18 + tax to the gentleman on the nice orange motorbike. I'll use the fly from the old one. Couldn't bear to throw the old tent away so I left it at WalMart in the hope that someone will take pity and buy replacement poles for it.

Ah, I hear you say, what the feck have you got it set up in a motel room for? All will be revealed.....

Welcome to Kansas

This is what it looked like all the way eastbound across the state. My rear tyre is getting square and screaming out for corners, any corners!

Here is some nob standing around at the marker for the centre of the 48 contiguous United States

As with the 50 State marker, 'X' doesn't actually mark the spot. It's over the fence about three quarters of a mile away in a farmers field.

This is Bo. He's the first rider I've actually got to talk to on the trip. He is from Denmark and is just finishing off a 20+k mile trip around the 48 States.

Guess what brand of motorcycle he rides. Answers on a postcard, please.

The day started mild and got oppressively hot and muggy. At lunch time I thought the only excitement of the day was going be the bumble bee that somehow got through the vent hole at the top of my helmet and proceeded to march over my scalp. It must have been stunned because it didn't sting me.

Then the fun started as I approached St. Joseph. First it started spitting with rain (so on with the waterproofs), then it started to shower and then, woof, within two minutes the road was awash and the wind was literally threatening to blow me off the road. So being sensible I pulled off immediately towards a Ma and Pa fast food place. By which time the edge of the road was a foot deep in muddy water. I misjudged where the kerb ended and the entryway began and the next thing I knew I was lying on my side pinned under the bike in said muddy river, with an angel of mercy leaning over me, she getting wetter by the second. Got the bike up and parked, it by which time my angel has disappeared. When I went inside to get some nosh the State weather warning broadcast kept cutting in to the radio to say that there was a tornado forecast and that any self respecting soul (and Nick) should get under cover right now.

The right side pannier took the brunt of the tip over and now wears it's scars with pride. Apart from that no damage, even to my ego.

So I decided to NOT camp tonight, but wanted to check out the new tent, which is why it sits on my bed in the motel I am staying at.

It was raining MUCH MUCH harder than this earlier

No state line sign picture of crossing into Missouri so I stole one

Timbox2

Ah, so nobs get everywhere don't they :-0.  Fair old Trip mate, makes my outings seem like going to the shop. Don't think that bed is gonna fit somehow :ImaPoser
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

Nice trip your having there nick :thumbsup
Re Bo's bike..is the jacket on the floor a clue?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Yes, the jacket on the floor is a clue.

A 918km/570mile day today. Started clear, got hot and muggy then pissed with rain. Seems to be the pattern for this trip. No tornado warnings today, though. Cameron, MO to Hopkinsville, KY. Got lost a bit in St. Louis, taking the wrong motorway out of town.

Here is the big arch in St. Louis.

It's big.

Two more state line signs:

Nothing to report today except I'm probably going to be shopping for a new chain and sprockets when I get home and certainly a new rear tyre, if I haven't had to replace it en route.

I have an observation about some U.S truck drivers: their lane discipline sucks. Toodling along on the motorway you will come up to a clog of a group of trucks. Just as you get up to them the driver at the back decides to overtake, at approximately 2mph faster than the trucks he/she is passing. Next thing you know there is a mile long tail back in the passing lane while the rest of us wait for the driver to get his/her jollies by passing. Grrr. :icon_frown:

God bless the USA. Got to my hotel and the first words out of the receptionists mouth were "We sell beer at $1 a bottle!!"

nickjtc

So I've been on the road for a week now and covered 4405km/2737miles.

If you're interested, that is :sleepy1

ghulst

Wow... That usually takes me a couple of months... One trip!
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Bixxer Bob

About the same miles as our France trip last year, but that was only one week, not several!!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...