News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Trip

Started by nickjtc, May 22, 2016, 05:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

2737 mls so far!! And I'm thinking of camping up in Barmouth for a night tomorrow. Probably 280 mile round trip? :bad
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Apart from a slightly bent support tab on the mounting frame, this is the sum total of my tip over the other day:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

No rain gear today. Hot and muggy. Nothing to report, really. Hopkinsville, Kentucky to Sandersville, Georgia. 722km/448miles.

Still not seeing a lot of other bikes on the road, and those that I am seeing are predominantly cruisers, many with bars so high the rider looks like he is being crucified :icon_wink:. I did see two Wings and one Bandit, however.

Two more state lines:

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ghulst

Tennessee; The Volunteer State? Sounds as if no one wanted it and so they volunteered to take that part of the US. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

T3mike

Great ride report Nick. I have to start taking pix of "Welcome" State signs.

re bo : finger-less gloves gave it away.

05 Tiger, 01 Bonnie, 11 VStrom

nickjtc

Quote from: ghulst on May 29, 2016, 02:18:55 PM
Tennessee; The Volunteer State? Sounds as if no one wanted it and so they volunteered to take that part of the US. ;)

Now, now. be nice. They are very friendly people.

nickjtc

Welcome to Florida. Made it! Chain and sprockets truly shagged; the word is out to local Triumph dealers to see if they can replace. Sod's Law is in place and tomorrow is a public holiday, I assume.... it's why I'm here.

Here's a pic for Mustang. No knobbies, however, just chrome handlebars:

What have I learned about Florida?

The "Sunshine State"?.... when I got to where I was going it was raining almost as hard as the other day in Kansas :icon_sad: I'm drying out as we speak, but can make an unashamed plug for SIDI 'On Road' boots... the only part of my kit, apart from the 'Rain-Off' over mitts I use, that did not leak. :>< (I'm on my second pair and fully expect that they will last until the end of my riding days.)

Florida drivers have the worst lane discipline I've ever seen.

Motorcyclists here have a very 'relaxed' attitude to riding gear. I assume helmets are optional. The only consistent safety gear I am seeing are large black boots, presumably with the initials 'HD' on them.

Don't try to make time on 'major' roads that are not motorways. They make a nice four lane road with a 55/60mph speed limit, and then put traffic lights every mile or so. :icon_sad: Obviously they have not heard of roundabouts.

Traffic lights are not "sensor controlled" so you have to sit through the cycle even if there is bugger all traffic coming from the cross road.

There are no 'merge' lanes (give way, to you chaps in Blighty) at said traffic lights, so you have to stop before proceeding if turning right.

Budweiser beer tastes a LOT better here than in Canada.

What is the Dam Buster's motto.... Apres moi le deluge?
Well here is 'après le deluge ici moi'  :rfl

nickjtc

Incidentally: Sandersville, Georgia to Sebring, Florida. 764km/475miles.

Two relatively easy days coming up, which is why I'm here.

nickjtc

OK chaps, this was the reason for this trip. Excuse me if I get a little emotional because I have been looking forward to this for a long time. Sebring to Punta Gorda, via Arcadia and AirGlades airfield, 325km/202miles.

My Dad learned to fly as part of the British Flying Training Scheme at the number 5 school in Clewiston, Florida, between January and July 1943. That's him in the middle

During the war the field looked like this

Now, although it is still an operational airfield, there is nothing left of the accommodations or old hangars

During the war years 23 cadets were killed during training, one of whom (Forbes Robertson) was on my Dad's course. They are interred in what is called the British Plot at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Arcadia. Every Memorial Day the locals have a memorial service for the cadets, and this being the 60th service (and me being 60) I thought I would attend.

On my way down yesterday I tried to revisit two places where Dad had taken photos while he was on leave between elementary and advanced training. I assume he stopped here for a cold one

The café is gone, with only the concrete foundations visible. The bike (at the back, left) is standing in front of where it was originally

They also visited Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven

Alas, that scenic destination is now gone, to be replaced by

Bixxer Bob

Interesting stuff Nic,  thanks for sharing  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Brilliant mate, well done
2016 Tiger Sport

nickjtc

Punta Gorda to Ocala, 410km/254miles. Via Sarasota, St. Petersburg, Tampa and Lakeland.

First the pics. I missed posting this one in the freneticism of the near tornado fall over incident last week. It is one of the original pony express 'stations', in Marysville, Kansas

Riding north over the bay to Tampa I crossed this bridge. You cannot stop on it so you'll have to excuse the 'clip' picture

The last place my Dad had a picture of was here

It took a bit of research to find out where this bridge is. Platt Street in Tampa. This is what it looks like 73 years later

Zen in the course of motorcycle maintenance.

This is not a rant, just what is.... when I knew that I was going to need a chain and sprockets I contacted all of the Triumph dealers on my route via their 'contact us' links on their web pages. NOT ONE has replied! So this morning I did the next best thing and started dropping in.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup to Hap's Cycle Sales in Sarasota. They could not help me out today but went above and beyond the call of duty pointing me in the direction of a dealership that could help.

I like doing my own maintenance because I am then responsible for the outcome of whatever I do to the bike. And, of course, save some dosh. However I will happily pay a 'professional' if circumstances do not allow me to do this. So I was lucky that 'Fun Bike Motorsports' in Lakeland not only had proper Triumph parts, but were able to fit me in. I had them change the oil at the same time as the hardware. $294US for parts and $180 labour + 'shop supplies' and taxes.

The only small fly in the ointment was that the tech had over tightened the new chain. Isn't reading the manual rule 1? When I pointed out that you have to set the slack while the bike is on the side stand he grudgingly readjusted it, commenting that he 'always' adjusted chains with the bike on the centrestand. What would have been the outcome if I did not know what I was looking for??

nickjtc

I did a bit of research into the po's service history for the bike and found that he had changed the front sprocket only at 74k kms and the whole lot at 52k kms. So the chain and rear sprocket have done 42k kms and the front sprocket 20k kms.

The chain today was slacker than a prostitutes underwear.

Let this be a lesson to you boys and girls: do NOT cheap out and just replace chain and or sprockets. ALWAYS replace as a set. Take it from Captain Buzzkill: you will pay less now but you will pay mightily later!! :qgaraduate

JoeDirt

Quote from: nickjtc on June 01, 2016, 01:16:23 AM
The chain today was slacker than a prostitutes underwear.

Take it from Captain Buzzkill: you will pay less now but you will pay mightily later!! :qgaraduate

Those must be some high-class prostitutes... they actually where underwear. :icon_rolleyes:

Bout' time Captain Buzzkill showed up. :eusa_clap