News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Trip

Started by nickjtc, May 22, 2016, 05:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Interesting, I was much the same  :icon_salut:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

I found cycling shorts a bit more comfortable, but make betty swollocks quite an issue in this weather... you must have experienced that even more so Nick - In Nevada  :icon_eek:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

ghulst

I'm considering getting myself a pair of cycling shorts. When I came back from my run to Paris, I had some chafing. One solution could be to redo the saddle in stiffer foam, but I'm not sure. Cycling shorts are a cheaper option to start with. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

nickjtc

Well things have gone to hell in a hand basket as they say hereabouts. This morning was the first time I have ever been stranded by the side of the road on a bike for a major malfunction. Ran out of fuel before, but that is not too tragic.

On Highway 299 east of Redding the LED charging system light started blinking red. Green is good. Red is bad. Blinking red is "the shit is about to hit the fan". Needless to say the bike died. Dead. Kaputski. The battery only showed 9 volts.

Anyway I was lucky enough to be picked up by a nice gentleman who only stopped because he is a rider too and would not have stopped for anyone else. We went to his house about 10 miles away, came back with his truck and trailer, loaded up the bike and went back to his house to have a very pleasant afternoon, followed by dinner made by his missis. Note I've never met these people before. They do not know me from Adam.

Then this evening we trailered the bike back to Redding (about 60 miles), to stay overnight at his 'city place'. Tomorrow I am picking up a U-Haul rig to get the bike home. My new found friend is trailering the bike to the U-Haul depot. I had to twist his arm to let me fill up his pick up with fuel as a "thank you".

Not the happiest end to the ride of my life, but at least I got to meet two people who have gone out of their way to help me out. There is goodness and kindness out there still!

I took a couple of pics earlier on in the ride which I'll post when the dust settles.

I'll investigate the malfunction when I get home, but I'm thinking 'charging system'.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Chris Canning

Sounds strange but what a great end to your trip,I've had similar experiences over the years and still do both helping and getting helped many who I still stay in contact with over a chance experience.

And while you still have a bit to go I've enjoyed your trip and photos from Custer to realising why the Americans are always on about needing cruise control where as about as much use as a hole in the head over here in Europe.

As for your charging problem!! My K1200 went the same way yesterday  :icon_sad:

Sin_Tiger

:notworthy good people hide in plain sight  :><
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

:>< it's called karma ..............you are either being rewarded or need to pay it forward !

either way pay it forward ...............KARMA IS NICE , to those who deserve.

:thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Was it definitely charging system Nick or just the battery died.  Don'y go throwing money at it till you're sure.  Chris and I have both had this happen and a change of battery was all that was needed.

And for Chris:  the K12 too?  It seems a common problem across all makes, be it Honda, Triumph Kwak or whatever.  They all do it sooner or later which, when you compare cost, what you get for your money, and reliablity with cars, we're being short-changed I think.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 09, 2016, 03:42:10 PM
Was it definitely charging system Nick or just the battery died.  Don'y go throwing money at it till you're sure.

I'll investigate when I get home. I'm thinking charging system because the LED indicator I use can be set up to monitor the state of the battery or the output from the alternator. I have it set up to monitor the alternator output. This all happened over the space of a couple of minutes, which makes me think it is not battery, anyway. But having said that (and I have zero experience of this) wouldn't stator/rotor/regulator/rectifier woes be gradual onset??

nickjtc

Just a few miles before things went sideways, a view from Highway 299 east of Redding:

And another

This is Mount Shasta, taken from my saviour Ken's truck as we trailered the bike back to his place.

mat-tiger1

Excellent write up Nick,  :thumbsup I'm sure I'm not on my own when I say I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about your travels and looking at your pics.  :notworthy
So sorry it had to end that way, but thank goodness for kind-hearted souls eh!  :><
Hope the rest of your trip home goes without incident & you find a simple fix for your steed! :icon_salut:
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

nickjtc

I've lost my cable to transfer pics from the camera to the computer, otherwise I would have posted the "pic of shame" showing the bike in the U-Haul trailer prior to hitting the road for home yesterday. My caption would have been: "I thought only dirt bikes and cruisers rode in trailers or on the back of pick-up trucks!"

Anyhoo, I am home after a 17 hour straight through drive from Redding, California to here in Vernon.
Final stats for the trip: the last day before the bike crapped out I had covered 152km/94miles.

Total mileage was 12050km/7487 miles.

Once I've decompressed (I've come home to find that my house has sold and my room mate has moved stuff out) I'll look into the bike situation, but at the moment I'm just glad to be here. That was the longest road trip of any description I've ever made in my life.... and probably will stay that way!

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on June 09, 2016, 02:06:08 PM
:>< it's called karma ..............you are either being rewarded or need to pay it forward !

either way pay it forward ...............KARMA IS NICE , to those who deserve.

:thumbsup

You ARE right, sir  :thumbsup

nickjtc

Here it is, the pic of shame.

And here's the old girl sitting forlornly by the side of the road waiting for an angel of mercy to come along  :icon_wink:

Timbox2

Fair play mate, some trip. Some rig too, wouldnt the bike have just gone in the back of the truck?
2016 Tiger Sport