News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Trip

Started by nickjtc, May 22, 2016, 05:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: Timbox2 on June 13, 2016, 06:48:36 AM
Fair play mate, some trip. Some rig too, wouldnt the bike have just gone in the back of the truck?

Ah yes. It would. However U-Haul expressively forbids anything but non-motorised personal effects to be carried inside their vehicles. I could have rented the van, driven around the corner, got the bike in it and carried on my own happy way. However if anything else had gone t/u I would have been on the hook for the total liability. For the $300US to rent the trailer I figured it was not worth the risk. Even though, in hindsight, the drive home was an easy 17 hour drone.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Chris Canning

With loads of questions in my head!!

How did you get on for fuel,20 years ago parts of Europe could be a hassle but not now,when we were in the States Jeeze you could go for miles without seeing anything never mind fuel.

You say the truck drove for 17 hours!! Bloody hell I bet that was interesting just you and the driver? any hassle coming back over the boarder.

How did you feel when travelling in the States knowing so many folk carry guns,we felt very uneasy but maybe that was just us.

Highs? Lows? Bike break down excepted,would you do it again? Do we get a photo of your Good Samaritan :icon_biggrin:

nickjtc

How did you get on for fuel,20 years ago parts of Europe could be a hassle but not now, when we were in the States Jeeze you could go for miles without seeing anything never mind fuel.

No problem at all. I carried a couple of litre bottles for 'just in case' but ended up never filling them. I had planned to stay off the freeways as much as possible, but that idea tanked straight away when I realized that I would never be able to keep up with my schedule. And on the freeways there is fuel at regular intervals. I should have allowed four weeks for the trip!!

You say the truck drove for 17 hours!! Bloody hell I bet that was interesting just you and the driver? any hassle coming back over the boarder.

I was solo driving the rental. I had my laptop with all of my tunes in it so opened it on the passenger seat and was serenaded all the way home. I crossed the border at about 11.30pm. The young fellow didn't even bother to look inside the back of the van. He just commiserated with me about the bike break down.

How did you feel when travelling in the States knowing so many folk carry guns, we felt very uneasy but maybe that was just us.

Never even think about it. Yes there are some real nut jobs out there (thinking about the latest outrage in Florida) but I've never felt uncomfortable or unsafe on any of my trips south of the border. I go out of my way to not piss people off, though. Especially in heavy traffic.

Highs? Lows? Bike break down excepted, would you do it again? Do we get a photo of your Good Samaritan :icon_biggrin:

Highs: I achieved everything I wanted and saw all the sights I have waited a long time to see. Lows: the shit hole in Pascagoula. And the big reality that, alas, the States are no longer the inexpensive option when it comes to travelling. Added to the fact that our dollar is in the toilet compared to the US one. And I would head south again in a minute. It did not even occur to me to take a pic of Ken!!

Nick Calne

It was a mega trip Nick. Glad you enjoyed nearly all of it!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Daiku

Thanks for the narrative, Nick.

I very much enjoyed keeping up with your journey.  I took a similar two wheeled adventure in 1985 that included Northern Mexico....best trip of my life.

Any updates on the charging/battery problem?
Now:  '06 Girly, '83 Honda CB1100F
Then:  '78 Suzuki GS 750, '79 GS 1100, '01 Yamaha FZ1

nickjtc

Quote from: Daiku on July 12, 2016, 12:16:57 AM
Any updates on the charging/battery problem?

I've been so busy over the last few weeks with selling my house, packing, getting rid of crap that has accumulated, moving, decorating my new digs, and going to work, that I haven't even had time to wash the trip grime off the bike, let alone have a serious look.

I have ordered a replacement reg/rect (not Triumph) just to upgrade, if nothing else. I charged up the battery when I got home and rode the bike the 4km to my new place, with no problems, but a 2 second look at the voltage with the motor running shows that the charging system is only putting out just over 12 volts.

Will report when life gets back to normal, and thanks for asking.

nickjtc

I have to get serious about this because I only have about 150km to go before the clock turns over 100k. It was supposed to happen in the wilds of southern Oregon.

Nick Calne

:nono should never have sold Stanley....

nickjtc

Quote from: Nick Calne on July 12, 2016, 11:33:55 AM
:nono should never have sold Stanley....

You could be right.

Except: high 50's mp(Imperial)g (and sometimes low 60's) is MUCH better than low 40's. I'm not really a cheap git, but I always cried when it came time to fill up Stanley. And it grated even more knowing that my four door Kia people mover gets much better mileage.

He went to a good home.

Nick Calne

Yeah but the Kia weighs much less and is considerably more aerodynamic! :augie

JayDub

Quote from: Nick Calne on July 12, 2016, 09:13:15 PM
:ImaPoser
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: Nick Calne on July 12, 2016, 09:13:15 PM

:rfl Indeed. That's just not being kind to a Steamer. I know they are heavy, but........