News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Timing Chain Tensioner spring replacement

Started by Timbox2, June 01, 2016, 07:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

I removed the said spring a few days back and measured and got 68mm odd.  The OE spec is 73.7 so I got a new one off Sprint Manufacturing, you cant buy the spring on its own from Triumph only a complete Tensioner.  Anyway, 5 minute job. 

Can you spot the new one
2016 Tiger Sport

JoeDirt

Just a word of advise... take the cylinder cover off and make sure the arrows are pointing at each other on the cam gears while the crankshaft is on #1. Anytime the timing chain goes slack it could move a tooth on the crank timing gear.

5-minute job could turn bad quickly.

Timbox2

Quote from: JoeDirt on June 01, 2016, 08:02:55 PM
Just a word of advise... take the cylinder cover off and make sure the arrows are pointing at each other on the cam gears while the crankshaft is on #1. Anytime the timing chain goes slack it could move a tooth on the crank timing gear.

5-minute job could turn bad quickly.

Know what your saying but, the Timing chain doesnt go slack if your just removing the spring, the ratchet mech is still tensioning the chain
2016 Tiger Sport

JoeDirt

Quote from: Timbox2 on June 01, 2016, 08:46:57 PM
Know what your saying but, the Timing chain doesnt go slack if your just removing the spring, the ratchet mech is still tensioning the chain

I thought you removed the whole mechanism. Personally, anytime I touch the timing chain it's a good time to check it anyway.

Timbox2

Well, i could be imagining it but the engine does sound quieter, there was a fair bit more tension getting the new one back in and I think I did hear the tensioner click out. I will be taking the cambox cover off later in the year when I hit 30K and will have a better look at the chain then when I check the valve clearances.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Just doing mycamchain today and after reading this thought i'd check mine, even though it was new last year and guess what???  68mm!!!

I packed it out to 74mm with washers for now but will order a new one anyway.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...