News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Guess the amount of wear left.....?

Started by nickjtc, June 01, 2016, 09:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

As some of you know I am currently on 'the trip'. Here is the rear Michelin Pilot Road 3 on the back.

It has 11,687km/7262miles under it.

Should I be proactive and replace it in the next day or so, or reactive and just wait until the carcass is showing? :icon_wink:

I've made up my mind what I will do, but I would be interested to hear what you would do in this situation. Remember I am in unfamiliar territory on unfamiliar roads and do not know the availability of tyre emporiums.....
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Difficult to give a definitive assemment bared on a photo but I'd suggest you have another safe 1k miles. Unlike some other makes the PR3s wear very evenly and are predictable right to the bone.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

that tire has a lot of life left
there's at least a million places between you and home that will have a new one for you

being tubeless you could spin it on in the parking lot

this one made it home with 2000 miles to go and looked worse than yours

ghulst

I think your tire has some life in it left. I can even see a distance between the wear marker and the running area. ;)

Go ride! ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

PeteH

Tyre looks good to me too, but if the handling is effected then get it sorted.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Timbox2

That would be described as "New" by some around here. Seriously though I too tend to replace tyres when I feel the handling go off, with some tyres that happens well before the tread limit as gone. You seem worried about it so change it, its then off your mind, good thing on a bike.
2016 Tiger Sport

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

So I'm sure you've all been on the edges of your seats wondering what I did.  :*&*

I did some phoning around and found a Suzuki dealer in Biloxi, Mississippi who was having a sale on tyres, and who would let me take the rear wheel off myself, thereby saving a bit of money.

I ended up with a Pilot Road for very little more cost than if I have done it myself. And after 4,000+kms of freeway it doesn't look worn at all.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Chris Canning

Quote from: Timbox2 on June 02, 2016, 07:15:29 AM
That would be described as "New" by some around here. Seriously though I too tend to replace tyres when I feel the handling go off, with some tyres that happens well before the tread limit as gone. You seem worried about it so change it, its then off your mind, good thing on a bike.

+1

Absolutely life is way to short to be riding around on squared off tyres.