News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine issues - help diagnose

Started by nikonvt, June 04, 2016, 03:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikonvt

So just as I have 2 buyers for my Girly, I take her out for a spin to help the wife on her bike and I get this strange issue. When i get above 3500rpms the engine just revs high with no power. No matter the gear there is no juice above 3500. Is this a clutch issue or a gearing issue? Can someone direct me to a clutch change guide? I've done em on other bikes bit not the tiger and would like to know the order of parts removal so I don't pull the wrong piece off at the wrong time. I love dumping $$ into a bike that was pretty well sold  :icon_frown:
Thanks
01 955i

JoeDirt

Sorry ahead of time, you might have looked at these already. :icon_scratch:

• I hate to ask the obvious... did you make sure the clutch cable or clutch lever are allowing the clutch to fully engage?

• 2nd, look at your engine oil and make sure it isn't broken down for any strange reason. I say this because we had some "sticky" clutches from contamination.

I look at the simple items first... otherwise you might have weak clutch springs, worn clutch disks.

nikonvt

Played with the clutch lever connections and that got me home so I've been leaning more towards the clutch than the gearing.  However, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all so I'm not ruling anything out....  I drained the oil and the Motul with only 5k on it looks damn near brand new....

Mustang? Come over and fix me up....  :nod since you're damn near around the corner. (and do you make your foot pegs for 800 roadies?)

(and what's the OP next to my name?)
01 955i

Timbox2

Quote from: nikonvt on June 04, 2016, 07:09:43 PM
Played with the clutch lever connections and that got me home so I've been leaning more towards the clutch than the gearing.  However, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all so I'm not ruling anything out....  I drained the oil and the Motul with only 5k on it looks damn near brand new....

Mustang? Come over and fix me up....  :nod since you're damn near around the corner. (and do you make your foot pegs for 800 roadies?)

(and what's the OP next to my name?)

Sounds like the cable is sticking then, pretty common, have a look at the gearbox end where the inner exits the outer. And OP is Original poster ( who started the thread)
2016 Tiger Sport

nikonvt

So as I went to tear off the right side covers I found this spring appears broken....would thay be enough to cause this? While it's drained I'll still have a look inside but I can't get the damn hand crank cover off - suggestions?  The cable sticking - inner meets outer. ?.not sure I follow you
01 955i

JoeDirt

Quote from: nikonvt on June 05, 2016, 12:31:57 AM
So as I went to tear off the right side covers I found this spring appears broken....would thay be enough to cause this? While it's drained I'll still have a look inside but I can't get the damn hand crank cover off - suggestions?  The cable sticking - inner meets outer. ?.not sure I follow you

It's highly coincidental that you have a broken "return spring" and a slipping issue. That spring assists the cable to pull through the cable housing. Odd thing is that there has been discussion on this forum that the spring is not needed. Before you go pulling everything apart... that spring is a $5 dollar part.

Previous post about spring at:
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14815.0.html

nikonvt

01 955i

fraserdog

A friend of mine had the self same issue on a 955i Sprint and it turned out to be the clutch shaft (the one with your broken spring on it) had partially siezed in the casing and the shaft bearing had failed.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

nikonvt

Quote from: fraserdog on June 05, 2016, 11:02:09 PM
A friend of mine had the self same issue on a 955i Sprint and it turned out to be the clutch shaft (the one with your broken spring on it) had partially siezed in the casing and the shaft bearing had failed.

That doesn't sound promising...I'll check it out.  thanks
01 955i

Chris Canning

Don't loose any sleep over the so called return spring mine has been broken for 10/12 years at least does nothing.