News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What to change next?

Started by Harry, June 07, 2016, 07:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

2007 Tiger 955i. 20,000 miles.

Really need some help & guidance ...

At the end of a 150 mile ride a few weeks back I noticed my dash voltmeter suddenly dip from its usual 13.6 to 12.0 volts. Tried revving engine more, but very little increase in voltage. Thought I was gonna end up stranded in Sawley. Then, as quickly as it dropped it returned to 13.6. Got home.

A couple of weeks ago it did the same, but the voltage stayed lower for longer. Eventually it stalled at traffic lights in Rochdale and refused to restart. Jumped off wife's car (engine off) and raced home, keeping revs high and charging to 12.6 volts max.

Fitted new Electrex G75 stator a few years back, so got a new SH775 R/R and the Triumph plug & play lead as an upgrade and here's the rub ...

Stator seems fine. No shorts between 1-2, 2-3 & 1-3. All 3 giving between 13.65 & 13.70 volts AC with engine running.
No obvious resistance on any Sasquatch mod wires.
No signs of heating or charring anywhere on system.
Replaced 30 amp fuse on side of battery box.
Replaced oversize 30 amp fuse in Sasquatch mod.
New R/R struggling to give 12.8 volts at 4000 rpm via Sasquatch mod. Backed up by multimeter.
Old R/R struggling to give 12.8 volts at 4000 rpm via Sasquatch mod. Backed up by multimeter.
New R/R struggling to give 12.8 volts at 4000 rpm via original loom.
Battery is Yuasa and has lived on Accumate tender since I got the bike in 2009.

Do I replace the stator with a new Electrosport or Electrex?
Do I replace the battery with a new Motobatt?
Do I do both?
Do I do something else?

Harry.

Mustang

Timbox2

What about taking your battery to a shop with  a proper discharge tester, 7 years does seem a long time for a battery and Im of the camp that dont believe in keeping them on tenders.
2016 Tiger Sport

Harry

Battery change does sound like sense due to its age. Anyone got experience of a battery giving this type of fault?

Like the twin pairs of terminals on the Motobatt. I can run the PDM60 and its ancillaries off the extra pair. MBTX12U or MBYZ16H? Both are listed as options on Squaredeals., though can and will be bought cheaper elsewhere.

Intrigued by reluctance to use a battery tender. Doesn't 7 years from a battery suggest it's the right way to go?

Harry.

Chris Canning

Always interesting to see how others go about things,I'd have put another battery on even it had been 18 months old never mind 7 years.

As Tim said tenders!!! Week on month off.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on June 07, 2016, 08:09:32 PM
battery .

:iagree it seems illogical that something can suck so much in and give sod all out. ....... until you put your hand on the side of it (not easy to do when it's in a box) and you feel the heat.

As for tenders or not, well first off there are tenders and then there are tenders, then there's usage pattern. So too many factors to make a black and white judgement, whatever works for you.

7 years  :icon_eek: you deserve a Gold Chancers Medal
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Harry

Appreciate your comment about changing battery first. Easiest, but didn't seem to fit with fault. Guess one of the cells could be going down.
Will order a Motobatt.

Tiger Motobatt users ... have you all gone MBTX12U?

Harry.

Chris Canning

I've told the K1200 story far too many times but roll bike out of garage been on an Optimate ride 175 miles down the road come back to bike after fuelling it up stone dead just because it's been on a tender doesn't mean a thing.

trophydave

I had a Motobatt in my Tiger,it died after just over two years,I have a Varta bought from Tayna Batteries fitted now.Saying that,my CB500 has a cheapo no brand battery in it that is about seven years old and-touch wood-is fine.

Chris Canning

Current price of batteries just not worth the hassle,the one I took out of my Tiger last year was fine but if I can squeeze 3 years then they are gone and current will be less because I'm going lithium next.

Harry

Thanks to you all for your advice. It's very much appreciated.

Don't want this to degenerate into another battery thread. I'll just order a Motobatt and hopefully the old battery and the charging issue will both disappear at the same time.

Harry.

Chris Canning

The problem could be anything,I've a thread on here where I put a R/R on the bike thought it was sorted and it was the stepper but for me always start with the basics and that's battery first.

Harry

Thanks Chris.

Motobatt on order. Hopefully that'll be the end of the issue. I need it running AND charging by the 26th so I can do a beer (Masham) & cheese (Hawes) ride!

Harry.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Harry on June 07, 2016, 10:18:33 PM
Don't want this to degenerate into another battery thread.

:thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JoeDirt