News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

brittle fuel connectors

Started by adetheblade, June 12, 2016, 03:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adetheblade

hello again, ok i will keep this as brief as i can. 2001 tiger 955i snapped male connector (bottom fitting ). read all threads on here (very helpful ). previous owners obviously didnt take bike in for 2004 recall for metal connector replacement !!!! soooooo, (1) would triumph (remotely) consider still offer to replace same, taking into account it is still a safety recall despite time span? and (2) if not, where can i get the full metal set (2 male / 2 female fittings ) here in the uk please ? thanks again for your valued help. cheers Ade

Bigfeesh

Sprint Manufacturing will have them, helpful on the phone too; http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/
Tiptop

Chris Canning

All the info in 'How too' but I can't remember a recall,there was on the early 885 tiger cuz the males were plastic but the males on my 2001 are metal the female is plastic and there has never been a recall even though there should have been

adetheblade

thanks for replies all, checked with vosa, recall was made in 2004 ( rm/2004/006 )and my bike vin falls within that group ( 16,500 bikes in total ! ) will be visiting dealer tomorrow to see what the score is, as apparently because it is a known safety recall, there should be no time limit put on the remedial work. cant fathom out why this wasnt done way back when ! will keep you updated ( only downside is as already stated on here, plastic female tank inserts will remain unchanged.......half a job eh ! ) cheers Ade

Timbox2

Think your chancing it, One or both of the females will probably fail mate, right when you really dont need it. I would do them now, I ordered mine online from RS and had them next day, £30  odd quid for piece of mind. By all means try and get Triumph to replace the males, though good luck if your thinking of  Bevans

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/

RS P/No: 387-2511    Colder Products P/No: LCD10004BSPT  (Metal Females for Tank)
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

I'm intrigued cuz if the bikes are 04/06 surely that's the single fuel connector and not the double that was used on the early ones.

Anyroad up as Tim says it's the females that you be to be worried about which will snap off as soon as you breath on them.

adetheblade

Quote from: Chris Canning on June 12, 2016, 10:37:27 PM
I'm intrigued cuz if the bikes are 04/06 surely that's the single fuel connector and not the double that was used on the early ones.

Anyroad up as Tim says it's the females that you be to be worried about which will snap off as soon as you breath on them.

chris, hope this link will explain it better than i can mate, fourth entry down list. bear in mind my bike is 2001.  thanks for input/advice btw. Ade
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?cboStartMonth=1&cboStartYear=1992&cboEndMonth=1&cboEndYear=2020&cboMake=TRIUMPH&cboModel=TIGER&cboSortOrder=rec_launch_date&cboAscDesc=ASC&PageSize=10&tx=0.9874798&newsearch=newsearch

PeteH

Mine were done under recall a couple of years ago 1999 885i, changed the tank ones to metal for the Wales meetup...absolute piece of pish to do ....
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

Quote from: adetheblade on June 12, 2016, 11:04:00 PM
chris, hope this link will explain it better than i can mate, fourth entry down list. bear in mind my bike is 2001.  thanks for input/advice btw. Ade
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?cboStartMonth=1&cboStartYear=1992&cboEndMonth=1&cboEndYear=2020&cboMake=TRIUMPH&cboModel=TIGER&cboSortOrder=rec_launch_date&cboAscDesc=ASC&PageSize=10&tx=0.9874798&newsearch=newsearch

I think think that's the later model like Bixxer's with just one fuel connector,had my 885 done ,well actually they gave me the males and I did it,but regardless I wouldn't lay a finger on the fuel connector untill you have the parts assuming you have the twin plastic female replacements I've been on my soap box on here many a time about how Triumph should have done a female recall,look for my story on here about what happened to us.

Bixxer Bob

Mine's the later one with the single metal male output from the tank Chris.  The injector rail hose is  female coupling.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

In that must have been a dodgy supply of males right at the end of the model,but regardless I would n't go chasing a free pair of males which are worth peanuts only to shear the females off and end up with Bill instead of a freebie.

adetheblade

ok, just a quick update...... fitted both new metal tank and pipe connectors ( yes Tim, somehow Bevans caved in and supplied pipe connectors under warranty ! needed a sit down afterwards.) as recommended by the good people here. put bike back together (double checking everything as i went. plonked in fresh fuel ( approx 2 gallons ) and...........nothing ! bike cranks over no problem, just will not fire !! checked via my tune ecu.... everything tests ok, no mil or codes. thinking maybe some sh&te from old plastic tank connectors have got into fuel lines during removal and have blocked injectors as obviously the crap is going to be this side of the fuel filter. any thoughts please before i strip it all back down again :cp cheers Ade

Timbox2

When you first turned the ignition on, did you hear the fuel pump and lines prime? Oh, and check you havent inadvertantly knocked the kill switch, Ive done it. Forget that, dont think the engine spins with the killswitch
2016 Tiger Sport

JoeDirt

Yea, it might take some cranking to fill the fuel rail and hoses with fuel. The fuel fittings actually are a valve... if you pop one off you should get a spray of fuel. We have had a bad fitting on this forum (tigertriple) before. I am not saying that's the problem but it's worth checking. Hypothetically, if you did get plastic in the fuel line... you wouldn't clog all three injectors at once. You should at least be getting an engine sputter...  :icon_scratch: