News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tune ECU Settings Anyone

Started by MattDaleEvans, June 24, 2016, 02:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattDaleEvans

Hi - does anyone know what the tuning settings/specs are for a standard 2006 Tiger 955i bike - running the correct 10172 map as per my VIN no.- ie Idle Fuel Trim, IVAC, Long Term Fuel Trim, etc

I dont want to muck about with maps (not confident) but would like to know the standard settings with the standard map 10172.  I had what I could smell was a rich idle and 40/45 MPG on an average run (not too bad). 

I've changed the coils (all even), spark plugs (ok), tested all air tubes (ok), checked wiring (ok) and then done a TPS reset which has certainly dropped my idle revs instantly and I think has done the trick.  However what are the correct settings please anyone to be sure.

My current stats from TuneEcu are;

No error codes
Battery 13.2v
Throttle 2.9 / 0.57v
O2 sensor 0.470v / 0.4
Idle 000 / 3 & 0.0% / 78
Long Term Fuel Trim 4.1%
Temperature 51c / 1.55v / 0.69v
Barometric 1013hpa
Idle Fuel Trim 0.0
Adjust IACV 3
Long Term Fuel Trim 4.1
TPS goes from 0 to 79

On a run now I get good drive but a slight popping back on the over run / down shift from high revs to low revs - sounds quite good actually!

Could it be better though? Or more correct? Does reducing/increasing these stats help?

Thanks in advance...................

ATB, Matt

MattDaleEvans

This is the TUNE ECU programme running on my bike as stated.............

Bixxer Bob

Matt, they all look good excecpt the IACV steps. They should be around 35.  3 is going to make it rich.

The problem is it's probably trimmed itself to run at that so you need to take it gradually.  Change the steps a couple of steps at  time until you get on or near 35.  Warm the engine up first, then start the changes (don't change anything else while you're doing this - first rule, only change one thing at a time).  After each change blip the throttle a few times.  You are looking for a clean pick up without bogging and a run back to tickover with minimal popping and without any undue delay.  IF you find after a few steps
it's geting unhappy with what you're doing, stop then do an "adaptation" as described in the Girly Wisdom.  You should get it there without too many issues.

Your 45 mpg is what I was getting before I serviced my binding brake.  I now get 50 -55 mpg depending on whether its motorway or A roads.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

I think there is more to this IACV setting than meets the eye.  Out of interest I went and put my tiger on me laptop last night. My IACV setting was 7. Now, my bike is running a custom map and its the earlier vin, but anyhow my bike has been running really well, but again out of interest I adjusted the IACV up to 10. Blimey, nearly didnt run and the fumes were like neat petrol. Not only that,  I then tried to knock it back to 7 and it wouldnt?? I could change it to 7 in the adjustment, but on the front screen it was still registering 10??. Anyhow, I knew the fix and just blew the map back in again, and yep its running well again, but guess what, the IACV setting has now gone to 9?? I love these bikes :wings
2016 Tiger Sport

JayDub

Quote from: Timbox2 on June 25, 2016, 11:58:25 AM
I love these bikes :wings
It sounds even more stressful than steamer ownership  :icon_eek:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Timbox2

Quote from: JayDub on June 25, 2016, 05:32:47 PM
It sounds even more stressful than steamer ownership  :icon_eek:

Not stressful, just, eh, challenging sometimes.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

A notional value of 35 is just the factory setting.  Did you reset the trims via adaptation when changing the steps Tim?

I'll have a look at what mine is set to as it was running really well other than the steam before i took it apart.  Of course one never knows how its going to run until you turn the key though  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 25, 2016, 11:08:36 PM
A notional value of 35 is just the factory setting.  Did you reset the trims via adaptation when changing the steps Tim?

I'll have a look at what mine is set to as it was running really well other than the steam before i took it apart.  Of course one never knows how its going to run until you turn the key though  :icon_rolleyes:

Ah, no I didnt, and anyhow, Ive just realised I broke the golden rule of F..... with it when there is nothing wrong, Im going to the corner of the garage with the D hat on :icon_lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

MattDaleEvans

Thanks for the advice gang. I'll see if a raising of the IACV helps the running. Step by step............ Why does this sit where it does then - 3 in my case - when an adaptation should bring it into 'spec' of 35. Seems quite a jump? What's it doing exactly please? Is 0 the lowest and 100 the highest? Keen to learn from you masters............ - many thanks, Matt ;0)

Bixxer Bob

Matt, I'm eating humble pie here because although the factory setting is 35, mine is 5 and running well. 

If you want to change them, click on the text where it says "Adjust IACV" and the up / down arrows will appear.

MattDaleEvans

Cool Bob - thats great news - I'll have a plug & play at some point and get back to you with my findings for the forum.  Where can you get the 'normal factory settings specification information' please to view?  Is it listed on here somewhere?  If so I'd like to have a look thanks...........

MattDaleEvans

Hiya All,

As an information point for others to all see and check I've copied and pasted the ECU TUNE information for our 955i engines with a SAGEM ECU from the ECU TUNE website; info is follows (read it loads & it'll soon make sense upon use of your diagnostics tool - look and dont change anything unless you are 100% sure you know what it is you're doing or at least can change back again!) - how officially TRIUMPH or not it is I dont know (I think it might be elsewhere on this forum too but I think its suitable for this thread as well for reference);

'Reset Adaption Triumph-Sagem-Lambda-models only (thats an oxygen sensor plugged on the exhaust pipe).

The manufacturer of Triumph motorcycles describes this process as follows:
Fuel System Adaption — e.g. Daytona 955i, Sprint ST, Sprint RS, Tiger, TT600 and Speed Triple
(only Sagem models with Lambda)

The fuel system fitted to the above models is adaptive. This means that the engine management system will
self-adjust air fuel ratio (i.e. the mixture setting) to its optimum level in order to ensure differing running conditions do not result in poor running.

During an adaption, the engine management system examines the air--fuel ratio as measured by the oxygen sensor in the exhaust system and, if necessary, makes an adjustment. In some cases, a single adaption may
be sufficient but in others, more adaptions will be necessary.

An adaption take place when all the following conditions are met:

Gearbox in neutral, clutch engaged.
Coolant temperature 80 -- 100 °C
Airbox temperature 21°C minimum
Engine idling for 10 -- 30 seconds
Once adaption has taken place, the settings are retained ensuring that adaption is not necessary every time
the engine is started.

Particularly for new bikes, where the engine has not been run-in, it may be necessary for dealers to ensure adaption has taken place before handing the motorcycle over to the customer. This can, of course, apply at
any other times as well.

To force adaption to take place, start the engine and warm it up until the above conditions aremet, adaption
takes place automatically. Blip the throttle every 30 seconds to start another adaption cycle. When coolant or
airbox temperatures are above or below adaption thresholds, allow the engine to cool or warm-up before
continuing.

To check that adaption has been completed, scroll the Triumph diagnostic tool to DIAGNOSTICS--CURRENT
DATA--LAMBDA FUEL. in a correctly adapted bike, the lambda fuel reading should show 0.0% (though
operators should note that the figure will continue to change during engine operation but will settle at 0%
briefly but regularly.

If reading higher than +3% or -3% are seen continuously, adaption is necessary and can be brought about
in the conditions mentioned earlier (remembering that more than one adaption will be needed on occasions).

If a stationary LAMBDA FUEL figure of -19.6% is seen, download the correct tune for the model in question
and begin the adaption process as described.

Finally, use of the SET LONG TERM FUEL TRIM adjustment in the Triumph diagnostic tool should be reserved
solely for when replacement ECMs are newly fitted (or are transferred from another bike).
In clarification, the following described process should be not so correct.

1. Ensure bike is seeing a closed throttle position (CTP),
     if not, then perform TPS reset.
2. Bike in Neutral
3. Coolant temperature between 80-96°C
4. Minimum air box temperature of 21°C
5. Now with clutch pulled, blip the throttle to 3000 RPM and let it drop back to idle for at least 30 seconds,
    all with the clutch lever pulled in.

Check bike is adapted by viewing Lambda Fuel.
Figures should be "toggling" +4 to -4

Don't forgot to check IACV steps are 20 - 35' END

I guess the 'forced adaptation' could take place randomly upon a ride and maybe settings could go out of specification (like mine have for some reason and until your re-spec them back with an ECU TUNE or diagnostic tool again or back to the dealers........).

Perhaps its therefore a good idea to get your bike to have a standing idle mid-ride and see if it changes its behaviour............

I will as ever keep you informed............

ATB, Matt

Timbox2

That is actually word for word copied from the official Triumph Service manual up to the last bit about,  "In clarification", and that bits wrong as it says pull the clutch, you dont.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Thanks Matt, but it's already in the Girly Wisdom sticky.....

The sticky is worth a read.  Pretty much everything that goes wrong with Girlies has been written up by their owners over the years; it's a great bank of knowledge.

Chris Canning

The bottom line!!!!

The 955 was built when Triumph were on a very steep learning curve in their early days of fuel injected motors,just as they ditched the 595 engine which appeared in 885i Tiger they also ditched the Sagem system in the end that tells you lots :icon_biggrin: and have run Jap fuel injection on everything else for the last 10 years.