News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advice please

Started by GavD, June 26, 2016, 02:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Looking for a bit of advice chaps.
I'm looking at buying a 2010 XR that is just coming to its 24000 mile service. Its got hard and soft luggage, beak, alloy sumpguard, centre stand, heated grips, standard and arrow can., so it's quite well loaded. He's asking £5k, but i've already got him down to £4750. I've done a quick google on service prices and some internet posts suggest I'm looking at £500-£600 for this service.

From what I can gather, its oil & filter. air filter, brake fluid and maybe pads, chain adjust and a valve check. That seems alot of money for not alot of work (which I am capable of doing myself).

Q1. Is that price normal?

Q2. If I did it myself, and valve clearances are out,how simple is it to adjust/reshim?

Thanks
Gav
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

That looks like a good deal, can't advise on the servicing items unfortunately but how hard can it be, other than resetting the service code of course.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

Got the bike for £4500 in the end on the basis it may cost a bomb for a service. It is currently on 24300 miles, but the spanner is not lit.
Do I wait for the spanner to appear or just chuck it in anyway?

That'll give me 6000 miles which'd prob be about 3 years riding, and it may have been traded in by then.

Timbox2

If you have a look on Advrider com, many 800's, but not all,  seem to need a few exhaust shims on the first biggie(12k) but then settle down. Its definitely cams out on them as the shims are under bucket, and by all accounts Tank off is a similar ball ache to Girlies, but not difficult. Any history for the 12k service?
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Wait for the spanner. They can sound a bit "tickky tikky" from the top end when hot, even from quite low mileages but all the guys I knew with them reported it didn't change right up to the second service. I knew one guy who put 60k kms on his in a tad over 2 years in the tropics, even with iffy fuel in done paves and high ethanol fuel in Thailand it never missed a beast other than regular services and later maps.

I stopped frequenting the 800 forum as I couldn't put up with the immature nonsense being knocked about so I can't comment from that angle.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

Quote from: Timbox2 on June 29, 2016, 10:33:32 AM
If you have a look on Advrider com, many 800's, but not all,  seem to need a few exhaust shims on the first biggie(12k) but then settle down. Its definitely cams out on them as the shims are under bucket, and by all accounts Tank off is a similar ball ache to Girlies, but not difficult. Any history for the 12k service?

No shims needed at 12k.

fingers crossed 24 will be ok or I'll be up in front of er indoors explaining why some of the new window money is missing!! :cp

blacktiger

I'm afraid it is normal for a 12K service to cost over £500. There's a lot of labour involved doing everything that they do. The only slight reduction is that it can save 1&1/2 hours labour if they don't have to change any shims.
A good deal of the cost is for all the bits that are supposed to be replaced every 12K like all the rubber gaskets and O rings around the rocker cover. TOP TIP:- ask them to save the ones they take off so that you have a set for when you want to tackle a service yourself. In my experience with my 72K Girly, they'll last at least 24K a set.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

GavD

Thanks H,

Firstly, apologies for being a bit tetchy on the saturday, I think it was lack of sleep thanks to the herd of sealions that were singing in the bunkhouse most of the night!!

Had a look at the steamer tonight, got it up on the rear paddock stand, made sure it was level then looked at the forks with a plumb bob. That looked ok. Laid down on the ground front and back, and could see what you were saying the other day. Took a closer look at the rear, and once I'd found the alignment marks on the swing arm, it was obviously out of line at the back. Had a little tweak and have got the rear lined up on the marks now, and it looks a lot better lined up now.

I had noticed that the bike would drift slowly to the right if I took my hands off the bars. Need to get out now and see if that has changed. Trouble is I've been stripping it down to give it a good clean up, so it may be a week or 2. Plus I'm desperate to get out for a ride on the 800.

blacktiger

Quote from: GavD on July 05, 2016, 09:44:25 PM
Thanks H,

Firstly, apologies for being a bit tetchy on the saturday, I think it was lack of sleep thanks to the herd of sealions that were singing in the bunkhouse most of the night!!

Had a look at the steamer tonight, got it up on the rear paddock stand, made sure it was level then looked at the forks with a plumb bob. That looked ok. Laid down on the ground front and back, and could see what you were saying the other day. Took a closer look at the rear, and once I'd found the alignment marks on the swing arm, it was obviously out of line at the back. Had a little tweak and have got the rear lined up on the marks now, and it looks a lot better lined up now.

I had noticed that the bike would drift slowly to the right if I took my hands off the bars. Need to get out now and see if that has changed. Trouble is I've been stripping it down to give it a good clean up, so it may be a week or 2. Plus I'm desperate to get out for a ride on the 800.

Just glad I wasn't going mad when I noticed the alignment. And glad you sorted it for free.

I can fully understand the sleep problem. I'm a light sleeper, that's why I chose my tent. :icon_scratch:
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

vince

firstly my apologies  :violent1

just noticed this post 

<<<<:bug_eye

if you've  already had your service keep this in mind for next time  :thumbsup

I have mine serviced by david AKA muddy sump
http://www.muddysump.com/main/mobile-mechanic/
triumph trained and highly thought of on the tiger800 forum
he is mobile and comes to you
check his prices and see for yourself

cheers vince
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

GavD

Update;

24000 mile service and MOT cost me £520, no shims changed but 1 of the intakes was very close to the limit so I can see the 36000m one being more expensive if I've still got it then.

London_Phil

The Xc I just got has 12132 miles on, and came with the 12K service done at Rosners, so I suspect in 10 years, I'll be looking to book it in for the 24K..... :bad