News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Calling 800XC / 800XCX Owners

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 28, 2016, 09:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

If you've had both versions, how big a step up is the XCX from the old XC?  Bear in mind I don't rag around, and am unlikely to do much in the way of rough terrain....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Mat-tiger`s got the xcx...had a go shortly after he got it...lovely bike :)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

Had a run on MT's X. There is a perceptible diffirence with the engine delivery, noticeably smoother and perhaps a little more punch in the mid range.

If I owned an XC already I probably wouldn't change up until it was time to get something newer. If I was changing up from an older bike or it was going to be my only or main bike I wouldn't hesitate.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Funny that. The 800XC actually was the driver for me to get my Steamer. I did a test ride and fell in love with the engine. The 900 is very different, but I still like it. And it was considerably cheaper. ;) Guess the XCX is a step up, but the best way to find out how much is a case of talking your dealer into lending it to you for a day. Right?
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

threepot

I rode one a few months ago. Really impressed me.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

PeteH

Quote from: ghulst on June 29, 2016, 03:58:08 PMbut the best way to find out how much is a case of talking your dealer into lending it to you for a day. Right?

We now have to pay £10 for a test ride at the dealer, still a cheap mornings entertainment tho with juice thrown in for good measure.

Bixxer, If you ask mat-tiger nicely he may just let you have a go on his...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: PeteH on June 30, 2016, 12:42:19 AM
Bixxer, If you ask mat-tiger nicely he may just let you have a go on his...

The only downside is you have to take me pillion  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Quote from: PeteH on June 30, 2016, 12:42:19 AM
We now have to pay £10 for a test ride at the dealer,
That's weird... Doesn't he want to sell the machine? I mean, we sign for liability to the tune of €1000, but they don't charge us to ride...
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

PeteH

Quote from: ghulst on June 30, 2016, 07:18:22 AM
That's weird... Doesn't he want to sell the machine? I mean, we sign for liability to the tune of €1000, but they don't charge us to ride...

The £10 covers insurance and reduces your liability from a £1000 to £250 so I reckon it may well be worth it.

Bixxer Bob

I had a look round the dealers in Peterborough  today.

The NTX is a nice bike and has a very good riding position but build quality isn't a patch on Triumph.  The Yamaha is well made for the price, but it's just a bike.  I was surprised by the big Kwak, it ticks most boxes; lighter, powerful, a bit of character and a comfy pillion seat.  Comes with luggage too. Then I was drawn to the dark side....

http://www.bmwapprovedusedbikes.co.uk/bmwuk/aub/bike_details/0,,1260___,00.html?currentCh=_V0IxMDQ1MDA3Q1pYNDI1MTA=#

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

If you were going to be seduced, that'd be the one to do it  :blah

nickjtc

Pay for a test ride....??? Hmmm. Isn't all this semantics, because we love the ride we are on.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Chris Canning

Could almost be a separate thread but I'd have no problem paying for a test ride in fact when I went out on a demo XR last year and they explained there wasn't any fuel in it they were shocked when I said that's fine.

There are hoards of wannabe professional test riders have a look at U Tube it's become a cult,I've no doubt if you buy the bike they won't charge you if it was me I'd make it £25 and then that would sort out the time wasters.

Admittedly I've been riding bikes a long time so I know what I want but even when i've been seriously interested in a bike never needed to ride one for more than an hour to know if it works for me/us.

nickjtc

My main riding buddy has landed the dream job of driving the Ducati test fleet all over Canada. When the demo day at each dealership across the country is over he gets to pick any bike and thrash the nuts off it. Demos here are n/c if part of the fleet demo day. It's up to the individual dealer after that what rules they apply with their own inventory.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 01, 2016, 09:56:22 AM
Could almost be a separate thread but I'd have no problem paying for a test ride in fact when I went out on a demo XR last year and they explained there wasn't any fuel in it they were shocked when I said that's fine.

There are hoards of wannabe professional test riders have a look at U Tube it's become a cult,I've no doubt if you buy the bike they won't charge you if it was me I'd make it £25 and then that would sort out the time wasters.

Admittedly I've been riding bikes a long time so I know what I want but even when i've been seriously interested in a bike never needed to ride one for more than an hour to know if it works for me/us.

Same here.  It's superglue; sort of an instant bond thing.  We were thinking of trading the Blackbird one time and test rode a 1200RT and knew before we got to the end of the road that it wasn't for us, rode an FJR1300 which took 10 miles to sasy it does nearly everything the Blackbird does only worse, went home and spend £500 quid on the 'Bird.  The Tiger took a run to the petrol station and back to know it was right.  If it doesn't grab us instantly, it's a no.

Having said that, I can think of one time where it wasn't; I had an 1100GS for three days. Irode it home, chucked iton the drive and thought "bloody tractor, why would anyone...."  but fter using it for work for three days I sort of "got" it.   didn't buy it though  :*&*