News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Calling 800XC / 800XCX Owners

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 28, 2016, 09:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat-tiger1

Bixxer, I know you didn't get chance last weekend but you're more than welcome to take my beloved XCX out for a test ride anytime!  :thumbsup
For my two-penneth worth, having owned the Girly for over five years, (with only the usual charging system issue during all that time  :icon_sad:) It was quite a departure for me to go for the Xcx. I originally test rode an Xc at my local dealership (no charge  :m) and took a liking to it instantly. With the NEC bike show just around the corner (at the time) I waited to see what the new Xc & Xr models would have to offer before making a decision.
For me the Xcx gives me just what I need, it eats up road miles with good economy, it's comfortable, (although the sheepskin does come out if I'm riding for more than 3 hours straight, but that might be just a personal thing.  :icon_redface:) there's no question that it's a lighter, more agile bike than the 955i, which is useful when commuting in town's & cities, with it's selectable (& tuneable) abs & traction control, it brings technology into the mix in line with other manufacturers. The guys have previously mentioned the gearbox which has a smoothness which is a definite joy compared to the clunckyness of the 955i. And for me (which is why I went for the Xcx version) is the WP suspension. I do some off-road & trail riding from time to time and it's nice to have the ability to tune the suspension to my riding style. This feature is also very attractive for those who use the Xcx purely on road as well!  :icon_biggrin:
All in all (for me at least) this adds up to just what I need from my bike. But we are all different, so give it a test ride along with the Xr variant, which if off road isn't going to be your thing, may offer a more viable solution.  :thumbsup
Hey, but as long as you stick with Triumph, whatever decision you make will be fine with the members of this forum!  :icon_salut:
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Chris Canning

Quote from: nickjtc on July 04, 2016, 01:13:08 AM
My main riding buddy has landed the dream job of driving the Ducati test fleet all over Canada. When the demo day at each dealership across the country is over he gets to pick any bike and thrash the nuts off it. Demos here are n/c if part of the fleet demo day. It's up to the individual dealer after that what rules they apply with their own inventory.

That's what I did for 3 years in the UK!! and even now could have bought a Multistrada at a errrr discount and bought the XR instead to say it registered about 9.9 on the Richter scale would be an understatement but it's a better bike simple as that,and why I have become increasingly frustrated with Triumph because their becoming copiers and hence always a couple years behind the game,with possibly the exception of the 675 triple.

Bixxer Bob

True Chris, but then again (as I understand it), they're just trying to keep the UK adventure market happy whilst putting their main effort into the cruiser/retro range as that's where they see the money being.

It would be interesting their income broken down by bike category I think.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Well, I now have a plan in place which includes letting the old Girl go.  The deliberation starts;  a low miles XCX or an 09 GS with around 12k on it....

The GS is cheaper by a good margin....  I need to do a couple of decent test rides I think.

The GS gets me more or less what I have now, but a bit less power (not that I use anywhere near all of the Tiger's most of the time) and electric suspension (I know, more to go wrong...) but most importntly  comfy pillion set.  Having said that she's having trouble coming to terms with actually sitting on one in the first place.

The XCX ticks most boxes but I KNOW I'll get grief every time she swings a leg over it because the pillion just isn't up to it.  But there again, she almost never comes out anymore so.....

This'll run and run.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Bix mate you've lost the plot mate Buy a GS  by all means but With ESA  :bug_eye are you mad,a stock genuine replacement shock is 1800 quid fitting is extra sir that's just the rear although Wilbers do do a replacement  :icon_wink: but they don't come at Hagon prices.

Ask Tim he's been all around the houses and ended back up with a 955 if your looking at a GS buy basic not a case of more to go wrong it's about avoiding a money pit and why I had to go to the hassle of ordering my XR as almost a one off because BM are hell bent on selling their bikes with all the bells and whistles and bugger the poor sods 3/4/5 years down the food chain.

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 25, 2016, 10:12:23 PM
.......but most importntly  comfy pillion set.  Having said that she's having trouble coming to terms with actually sitting on one in the first place.

....... But there again, she almost never comes out anymore so.....

I feel your pain here, Bob. Choices, choices. However (and this is easy for me to say having become newly single again, and not being in a long term relationship) if you make profound choices on the basis of what might happen, and what might suit your partner, instead of what BOB wants, you face the possibility of regretting it.

I put up with the foibles of the Triumphs because frankly I have zero interest in riding one of the most common bikes out there. Which is why I would never buy another BMW, no matter how 'good' they are.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Timbox2

I cant really comment objectively, its a bit personal with me and I would rather ride an Enfield than a Bavarian Massey Werguson. I do see the attraction though, and to be fair a 2009 GS should be relatively safe, apart from the ESA issue which Chris has mentioned, I too would seek out a non-esa version, maybe even a non-ABS version if such a thing exists on that year, but then again I would probably go for a Stelvio instead anyway
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

A friend took an RT out for a test recently. A few issues with it,which would of cost quite a bit to sort. He bought a Kawasaki GTR1400.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Chris Canning

Quote from: nickjtc on July 26, 2016, 05:18:34 AM

if you make profound choices on the basis of what might happen, and what might suit your partner, instead of what BOB wants, you face the possibility of regretting it.

And untill you work out that's not the way to go you'll always be on your own,my other half is my best biking mate,as she stepped off the back of the XR on Sunday 'You've got to get an Ohlins on this bike this stock stuff is rubbish and we need to go back to the stock screen ' no mention that I'd had the bike on the stop at one stage which I can assure you even two up is nothing short of warp speed,having already ridden 250 miles on the Tiger the day before with both of us on it,I've ridden many a bike that worked for me and didn't for her top of the heap was the 105p Sprint  :icon_frown:

Bixxer Bob

Thanks guys, well thought out answers as usual.

When the dust settles it'll almost certainly be the 800.  We can explore aftermarket pillion seats if she needs me to, but another point came up which is definitely in the 800's favour and that is length.  Ideally it should go in my box trailer; if it does (the 955 does but only just and its a heavy pig to load and unload) that's a big tick because it can go on holiday with us  :nod

It's going to take a bit of work to put the Girly back to more or less standard before I sell her but the extras, like the Hagon, will bring sensible money later on, but I'll probably leave the crash bars on because they are  big selling point on  top heavy bike.

GavD

I've just got an 800 and already find the seat less comfortable than the steamer, been looking at sending it to this fella in the winter when it's tucked up tight in the garage.
http://www.elsemade.com/page16.html

Wisbech ........... not far for you.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Chris Canning

Bix

You haven't thought about or ridden a new 1050 Sport then.

Nick Calne

The 1050 sport does look like a finalised and fully developed version of that bike at last.  How about the other 800 variants like the XRT etc?

I saw an article in Bike magazine a month or so ago that had a showdown between all the adventure bikes and the tiger didn't do badly on pillion score from memory.  Unfortunately my copy got soaked on the Northumberland trip, but it might be worth a look if you can find another.

GavD - Did you see that you can get you saddle finished in glitter-metallic pink / purple from that website you posted...   :love10 :love10 :love10
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

GavD

Quote from: Nick Calne on July 26, 2016, 05:44:18 PM

GavD - Did you see that you can get you saddle finished in glitter-metallic pink / purple from that website you posted...   :love10 :love10 :love10

Which should match my new leathers
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?