News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Calling 800XC / 800XCX Owners

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 28, 2016, 09:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

:augie Don't tell anyone, but when I had a YZF750 that had a dream machine Marlboro paint job, and the red was more like dynarod orange, I had a set of leathers like these only the colours were orange/black/gunmetal.

Sorry Bixxer, hijacked your thread .............. I don't have a two peneth to put into the BMW/Triumph debate so I'll shut up. Never ridden a Beemer.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

fraserdog

Quote from: Nick Calne on July 26, 2016, 05:44:18 PM
The 1050 sport does look like a finalised and fully developed version of that bike at last.  How about the other 800 variants like the XRT etc?

I saw an article in Bike magazine a month or so ago that had a showdown between all the adventure bikes and the tiger didn't do badly on pillion score from memory.  Unfortunately my copy got soaked on the Northumberland trip, but it might be worth a look if you can find another.

GavD - Did you see that you can get you saddle finished in glitter-metallic pink / purple from that website you posted...   :love10 :love10 :love10

The Tiger came top in the pillion ride followed by the XT1200 in that shootout in the Bike mag
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Nick Calne

So there you go Bixxer. An 800 in pink/purple/dynarod orange is our collective advice.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

My money would be on a low mileage model XC with ABS and pre locked down ECU. Fully adjustable and rebuildable suspension.

Low centre of gravity guff aside, you'll soon get tired of shoving a 1200 GS around and having tried a range of ages, the gearchange is still a bit Massey Ferguson even on the newer ones.

The 800 by contrast is a very sweet and slick unit. I'm not sure if it's the same mag Nick's talking about but the Aug Bike rates the 800 pillion as the best overall and being separate the rear pad is easy to swap / rebuild.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 26, 2016, 04:48:02 PM
Bix

You haven't thought about or ridden a new 1050 Sport then.

No, I hadn't Chris.  I'd thought it was just a re-warm of the old one and is just as tall, big and heavy as the Girly.  Is it worth a shot then?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Must be two years ago(probably longer)when I started looking for some thing to not exactly replace our 955 but certainly to run along side as the Tiger was starting to show its age and I saw no point in getting rid because value wise I doubt if it would buy me a bus ticket on the outer circle if I sold it 😀

We had ridden various Multistrada's and they just didn't work for us,the 1050 most certainly got the job done,I remember posting before saying if the old 955 had thrown a rod I'd have no problem buying one because it worked from the off.

But that was the first 1050 sport the latest is a different ball game with various engine maps etc,to be honest I should have bought one it's the sensible option but just couldn't turn down the option of the XR with heaps of HP and even though I own one I could well imagine plenty of folk would be horrified with the new BM because its gung ho and in your face.

What I noticed or didn't  :icon_redface: did the old 1050 sport Rev to 10,000? Because looking at the new one which while in a straight race over a few miles the XR would no doubt blow its doors off in the real world of ownership and travel etc I'd be amazed if there was much in it.

The 1050 would be my first port of call before doing anything,sorry this 800 thing doesn't do a dam thing for me it's neither fish nor fowl ok for the kids who are doing the sensible thing on the way up,but two up with some gear!! We came across such on Friday on the out skirts of Newtown couldn't hold a candle to my old 955 although I admit mine ain't stock.

I'd also ride that Yamaha Triple its a bit Christmas cracker quality but Jeeze it's good money and there's no smoke without fire because so many folk talk well of it.

Re the GS even though I own a boxer I just don't get the GS thing,yea I know their practical and effiecent but Jeeze their as bland as dishwater,regardless I look forward to your buying journey :icon_biggrin:

Sin_Tiger

If you want that performance edge  :iagree with Chris on the the latest 1050 Sport, they've really taken all the comments to heart and its now a well refined and dare I say it quite an attractive looking bike, I was never in  :love10 with the looks of mine to be honest.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Been to Lings and looked at one Chris.  It's a nice bike so am likely to test ride one.  Looks good in matt black with the flurescent green highlights.  That's a small front wheel though????

Going back later this afternoon with the good lady so we'll see.

Wish I'd gone in yesterday though. IT wasn't on the list till I saw this one and bloke in front of me had just bought it. White Exploder with panniers, 5k miles, £8,300 and it was mint.  I'd have probably chucked my whole tick list in the bin and bought it.

Edit:  that front wheel is 17", just looks a lot smaller on the bike in the showroom.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

We normally have a tech debrief a couple of days after when we have both had time to stew!!! Normally concluded as we are about to no off in bed  :icon_biggrin:

What I have found its never the seat that's the issue that can be fixed its 'Does madam get her head ripped off when I'm bollocking along' the stock screen on the XR works really well but dip stick here !!!! couldn't resist trying another clang  :icon_redface:

The XR is the first bike were my other half sits higher than me but the aerodynamics work really well so looks can be deceiving,and ironically after 40,000 miles on the 955 we still use the stock screen.

Bixxer Bob

Good point Chris.

So, after trying a few in the showroom, and a stroke of luck,  we've got test rides booked for Friday afternoon on the 1050 Sport (she loves the black one btw so it's eff all to do with the seat after all.....) and an Explorer.

The one I mentioned earlier, that was sold, apparently isn't.  I chatted to the buyer in the shop this afternoon as he was trading his 15 plate V4 Crossdresser.  He was about my age but nevertheless, when he got home his wife ripped him a new areshole so he had to withdraw.

It's white, factory panniers, 5k miles, mint condition and £8.5k.  (got the price wrong earlier)

What was I saying about chucking my tick list in the bin.....  :icon_rolleyes:

nickjtc

You boys are just SO thoughtful to be thinking of your so's with regard to a bike purchase. Can't say that I have ever made pillion issues part of my bike choosing list. I know, I am just a thoughtless bastard. :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on July 27, 2016, 08:26:04 PM
New 1050 is nice.

Nice single sided swingarm. (Thinks: I wonder it you could fit that to my model?) Isn't the pillion going to be way up there in the windblast, though? And, of course, it does not have chrome handlebars. :*&*
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Chris Canning

Quote from: nickjtc on July 27, 2016, 07:46:26 PM
You boys are just SO thoughtful to be thinking of your so's with regard to a bike purchase. Can't say that I have ever made pillion issues part of my bike choosing list. I know, I am just a thoughtless bastard. :augie

Blimey for a minute I thought you were going to tell us something we didn't already know  :icon_wink:

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 27, 2016, 06:46:12 PM
Good point Chris.

So, after trying a few in the showroom, and a stroke of luck,  we've got test rides booked for Friday afternoon on the 1050 Sport (she loves the black one btw so it's eff all to do with the seat after all.....) and an Explorer.

The one I mentioned earlier, that was sold, apparently isn't.  I chatted to the buyer in the shop this afternoon as he was trading his 15 plate V4 Crossdresser.  He was about my age but nevertheless, when he got home his wife ripped him a new areshole so he had to withdraw.

It's white, factory panniers, 5k miles, mint condition and £8.5k.  (got the price wrong earlier)

What was I saying about chucking my tick list in the bin.....  :icon_rolleyes:

I'm enjoying this  :icon_biggrin: