News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speeding up 06 955i idle?

Started by SteveFord, July 01, 2016, 11:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveFord

With tune ECU, what is the correct way to increase the idle speed?

The bike has 14,500 miles on it and it has a Staintune canister, K&N, TOR map, silicone vacuum hoses, a new IACV gasket and the throttle bodies have been synched.
At cold start it zips up to about 1500 and then settles down to around 800 RPM which is too low.  The idle speed stays at around 800 RPM hot or cold.

So, exactly what do I have to do to set my idle to around 1100-1200 RPM?
Thanks in advance,
Steve Ford
Pennsyltucky, USA

JoeDirt

Steve,

Are TuneECU and your bike's tachometer both showing 800 rpm? I just want to make sure they are in sync before proceeding.

Before doing any map changes. Use TuneECU to reset the TPS. Since the throttle is computer controlled or fly by wire... "technically" there is no mechanical idle adjustment. The adjustment on the throttle bodies is just to bottom the cable out. Also, before editing any maps check TuneECU for actual idle settings.

If you are willing and able to make map changes... start here: http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/mapedit.html

~JD

Timbox2

Out of interest, have you had the low tick over since replacing with silicone vac pipes? Any kinks will restrict air flow and could lead to those symptoms
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

How many times have Tim and I had the same conversation about such,I wasn't too impressed with the price of the original replacements but with all the heat under the tank with a hot motor those pipes ain't ribbed for support for no good reason.

SteveFord

They may be ribbed for my Tiger's pleasure but those rubber ends sure suck.
Problem solved - I pulled the tank, installed new NGK plugs which were overdue, replaced the K&N with a new stock filter, hooked up Tune ECU and did the IACV test, got maximum slop in the throttle cable and reset the TPS and now it idles around 1100-1200 RPM so who knows.

Yes, the idle was low after I replaced the stock vacuum lines which had totally come adrift and the IACV gasket was broken in several places. 

I can't imagine either the K&N or the old spark plugs being the problem so I'm guessing either the TPS reset or the IACV test is what did the trick.
At any rate, thank you for your replies.  A Palmer bracket and windscreen are up next and then it's good to go aside from new paint over the Winter.

JoeDirt

Quote from: SteveFord on July 02, 2016, 05:24:02 PM
I can't imagine either the K&N or the old spark plugs being the problem so I'm guessing either the TPS reset or the IACV test is what did the trick.

I am glad you got it sorted. I personally do not care for the stock "ribbed" vacuum hoses. I use 6mm fuel line on mine. :thumbsup