News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Knocking noise (2005 955i)

Started by Revilo, July 20, 2016, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilo

Hi all,

Got a 2005 Tiger 955i with 40k miles on the clock. I've not had it long and love it but I've noticed a noise from *down below*!

The noise is a sort of rumbling knocking vibration that begins around 45mph and worsens till 55mph when it either levels off or drops a bit (I can't tell as wind and road noise also drowns it out over 60mph).

It seems to be coming from the left hand side, maybe the chain drive sprocket area.

I wondered at first if it was my luggage knocking (I usually have a fly fishing rod in a tube strapped to that side) as that what it sounds like: a rather random knocking noise. But it's still there with the flapping baggage gone.

The only thing that worries me is that I accidentally over-tightened the chain (did it while off the bike and forgot to factor in any slack for my 285lbs weight and suspension travel :-( ). I ride it for a couple of days like that with a v tight chain and hope I haven't done any damage.

The noise is speed not revs related and is worrying me.

Any ideas? Or is this normal? Performance, handing, fuel use etc all seem unaffected and its riding fine. But I know knocking noises can be bad news -- and expensive

Thanks

Bixxer Bob

Hard to say without hearing it, but for what it's worth, mine is coming up to 37k, started getting noisy around 35k and the noise it makes now is driving me nuts.

If it's speed related it can only be output shaft or bearings thereof but first, you have checked the sprocket nut hasn't come loose haven't you?  It does happen.....  :icon_rolleyes:

Also check that the sprocket isn't loose on the shaft despite the nut being tight and properly locked.  Again, I've seen this.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

285lbs  :bug_eye blimey with a stock shock and the early Tigers had no rising rate linkage system so you are into the realms of everything and anything.

Re the tight chain!! A couple of days reads a week!!! So you'll have done the output bearing no good what so ever but at one time or another we have all done it but the vibes through the bars told me things were wrong after just a few minutes.

I'd start with checking the chain run are both the chain guides in good nick and where they are supposed to be Timboxs top guide turned over.

I'd have the bike on the center stand and have it gear and running and see what noise shows up

How many miles has the bike done? Even with the shock setting maxed out the way the bike will be sitting would not be ideal particularly if the shock is high miles and knackered.
If all of the above fails,I'd find somewhere out in the sticks with a hill take you helmet off and roll the bike with your helmet off so you can listen.

Timbox2

As Chris says above, though it was the lower guide that turned over on mine, hidden behind the footpeg, the chain had worn through the guide and was hitting the engine mount spacer .  Yep, 40K miles and 130Kg plus on a stock shock is pushing it, It must be dragging its arse somewhat.
2016 Tiger Sport

nickjtc

On both my Steamer and the Roadie funny sounds from below, like the bike was sawing itself in half, were totally due to either an incorrectly tensioned chain (too tight) or a totally shagged chain and sprockets.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"