News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front Mudguard removal

Started by orange99, July 27, 2016, 06:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange99

I'm sure I had seen a post covering this but my search has not pulled anything yet;

I decided to removed the front mudguard but the  rear two bolts are just turning in their rubber wellnuts - it appears that the metal sleeve has become detached from the rubber nut. Has anyone discovered a way of getting these off in a case like this?
2011 Yamaha TDM900                                                   2018 Tiger Sport
2008 Yamaha XJR1300

Bixxer Bob

I guess you'll have given them a WD40 soaking by now.  The issue isn't corrosion in the nut because, if I remember rightly, they're brass.  It's the bit of thread that protrudes beyond the nut that gets rusty then drags that rust into the nut as you try to undo it and then it jams.  I seem to remember, but it's a long time ago, that I just cut the rubber away and got the boss in a pair of mole grips.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 27, 2016, 11:49:52 PM
they're brass.  It's the bit of thread that protrudes beyond the nut that gets rusty then drags that rust into the nut .......... I just cut the rubber away and got the boss in a pair of mole grips.

:nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

orange99

Thanks for the responses - I thought that may be the answer but was worried if the remaining sleeve would be substantial enough to get a mole grip on.
2011 Yamaha TDM900                                                   2018 Tiger Sport
2008 Yamaha XJR1300

Bixxer Bob

I seem to remember that if it isn't (substantial enough)  the Mole grips rip it away until the problem solves itself anyway....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 28, 2016, 11:03:18 PM
I seem to remember that if it isn't (substantial enough)  the Mole grips rip it away until the problem solves itself anyway....
:nod thats wot mine did... and don't forget the copper grease on re-assembly
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

orange99

I've left them soaking with penetrating fluid for another attack tomorrow - I'm replacing the bolts with Stainless and I'll probably use ACF 50 grease on the bit of the bolt that protrudes.

Thanks again for the help!
2008 Yamaha XJR1300

PeteH

Had to cut the ones off mine, replaced with nylock ...
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour