News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dropping the front forks a bit...................................

Started by thebiglad, August 27, 2016, 09:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

Quote from: Timbox2 on September 29, 2016, 02:47:08 PM
But, he hasnt got concentric adjusters, its the cast wheel Tiger, so only way to lower rear is with a different shock Im afraid.
Erm... I should have read the rest of the post  :icon_redface: I'll get me coat.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

thebiglad

Hi guys, I get the fact that you feel I might have done something awful to my bike and made it into a widow-maker, but honestly I haven't.

If you think about it logically for a second you'll see that dropping the clamps through the forks 15mm has only a tiny effect on the steering angle.

I did a similar thing when I changed the rear shocks on my T100 for longer versions - that also if you think about it, changes the steering angle but only a tiny amount.

Surely you are prepared to accept that the 'proof of the pudding is in the eating' in other words how does the bike feel post surgery? Well I can tell you having been out on her for about 5 hours today that she feels just fine, as she is.

Just because they came out of the factory a certain way, does not mean they can't be improved to suit an owners requirements.
2006 Tiger 955i

trophydave

I have an 02 wire wheel tiger.The front end has been lowered by 10mm,the rear left as standard.I only have stumpy 28 inch inseam legs but usually wear British Army assault boots that have a fairly thick sole.As long as I am careful at very low speed I find the bike rides fine.

thebiglad

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 27, 2016, 01:58:11 PM
What Tim said,I get away with mine because I have a fat 17" tyre to lean on get doing the same on a bicycle 19" and your asking for trouble,plus the side stand will be difficult.

Start at 5mm and see how you go.

Hi Chris, my 15mm mod doesn't seem to have had any negative effects on the working of the side or centre stands.

Cheers
Dave
2006 Tiger 955i

JayDub

Quote from: thebiglad on September 29, 2016, 08:43:38 PM
Hi guys, I get the fact that you feel I might have done something awful to my bike and made it into a widow-maker, but honestly I haven't.

If you think about it logically for a second you'll see that dropping the clamps through the forks 15mm has only a tiny effect on the steering angle.

I did a similar thing when I changed the rear shocks on my T100 for longer versions - that also if you think about it, changes the steering angle but only a tiny amount.

Surely you are prepared to accept that the 'proof of the pudding is in the eating' in other words how does the bike feel post surgery? Well I can tell you having been out on her for about 5 hours today that she feels just fine, as she is.

Just because they came out of the factory a certain way, does not mean they can't be improved to suit an owners requirements.
I think you misunderstood - I was merely passing on my own experience... as we do  :icon_lol:

thebiglad

Quote from: JayDub on September 30, 2016, 11:32:18 PM
I think you misunderstood - I was merely passing on my own experience... as we do  :icon_lol:
Hi JayDub, honestly I don't think I did misunderstand. Every time I post something on here I feel like I get pounced on, and often it feels like by peeps who haven't actually done the job in question. If you have changed your front forks in the manner I'm outlining then good on you - but rather too often it feels like I'm being criticised/warned off, by folks who are espousing "accepted wisdom" rather than recounting their own experience.

I believe I posted a reasonable, clear "how to" with pics on a job that helps with the Tiger achilles heel - namely high seat height -

It feels like an odd forum this, can't quite get to the bottom of it.
2006 Tiger 955i

JayDub

Quote from: thebiglad on October 01, 2016, 12:36:59 AM
Hi JayDub, honestly I don't think I did misunderstand. Every time I post something on here I feel like I get pounced on, and often it feels like by peeps who haven't actually done the job in question. If you have changed your front forks in the manner I'm outlining then good on you - but rather too often it feels like I'm being criticised/warned off, by folks who are espousing "accepted wisdom" rather than recounting their own experience.

I believe I posted a reasonable, clear "how to" with pics on a job that helps with the Tiger achilles heel - namely high seat height -

It feels like an odd forum this, can't quite get to the bottom of it.
Sounding slightly paranoid there Biglad  :tin hat you WON'T find a friendlier bunch anywhere on the net mate, everyone here just wants to be helpful, you must spend too much time on ABR  :icon_wink:
I asked a question once and got b*llocked - and I only wanted an opinion  :icon_eek:  no-one is out to get you, just trying to help and sometimes with a sense of humour which isn't always understood.  - from a genuine scouser... calm down, calm down!  :icon_biggrin:

thebiglad

Hi JD, maybe I am over-reacting a bit but I come from long history of Land Rover and Triumph forums that have much more traffic on here and the atmosphere is different.

You mention ABR ? What's that then ?

Cheers
Dave
2006 Tiger 955i

Chris Canning

I'll stick to the technical stuff although I've no idea why because it's all on the search button as for the website thats Attila's problem :icon_wink: who must have his finger over the bin section  :icon_lol:

On a visit to the factory in 2000 with other 885i owners in a meeting with the design team the slow steering problem was raised and in hushed tones they said drop the forks 5mm in technical terms its a lot,I tried such and from there went in 1mm changes if your not too technical may not sound much but in motorcycle geometry terms its a lot at 8mm I was unhappy the front end had a tendency to fold when pushed and thst was in the dry.

After the 2 855's bought my 955 in 2001 slightly stiffer suspension but still the same old slow steering and set it up the same as the 885 but became increasing concerned with the front end when pressing on and then went with a 17" front and all the hassle that involved but should point out this is all about speeding up the front end steering this is not what you do to get your feet on the floor if thst is your priority.

Triumph introduced the mag wheeled 955 with the steeper head stock and different forks so it has little in common with the earlier version and hence geometry threads on such are all but not existent.

For those short in the leg there are plenty of threads on here about such that range from turning the rear ajuster over at the rear on the earlier 885/955 too fitting a shorter shock to match lowering the front end on the mag wheeled version.

thebiglad

Obviously my approaches don't seem to suit here, so I'm out.

Thanks to all the contributors who very kindly replied to my questions with information, rather than condescending attitude.

This is a very small pool....................................

Cheers and good luck
Dave
2006 Tiger 955i

Mustang

Ossian

Well, I dropped the front on my wire wheel machine by 15mm and I've been running it this way for a few weeks now. The head shake tendency has totally disappeared, I think this must be because of the small transfer of weight to the front.
Handling is just a tad sharper, which is welcome as I found the comparison with my hack bike a bit sad. The hack is a CB500 twin which has delightful handling and alongside that I had found the Girly rather ponderous.
The legroom aspect is not of any concern to me as I have the seat at max height anyway. Oh, I didn't have any side or main stand issues either.

Chris Canning

First things first 15 mm on a wire wheel ain't the same as 15mm on a mag wheel because Triumph steepend the head angle on the latter because of the slower steering of the former.

Plus it's all relative its OK putting up the front setting but what is the rear? And how bad is the rear shock because the chances are its knackered and sitting low so all you have done is lowered the front to match it and you are back to square one.

What I am sure about there's no such thing as a free lunch!! Drop the front end and when that next corner is greasy or has gravel on it make sure you have you dancing shoes on you'll need e'm hence my crash bar thread a few years ago.

Ossian

Quote from: Chris Canning on November 06, 2016, 05:45:52 PM
Plus it's all relative its OK putting up the front setting but what is the rear? And how bad is the rear shock because the chances are its knackered and sitting low so all you have done is lowered the front to match it and you are back to square one.
Umm. No. The rear shock is nearly new. Just 3000 road miles on it.

benebob

Quote from: thebiglad on October 01, 2016, 10:10:08 AM
Obviously my approaches don't seem to suit here, so I'm out.

Thanks to all the contributors who very kindly replied to my questions with information, rather than condescending attitude.

This is a very small pool....................................

Cheers and good luck
Dave

I think I need to drink more as Dave, I'm simply shocked, I don't see where anyone was being condescending to you, your changes or anything.   Best of luck but just because it is a small group simply means there isnt' a Land Rover (this coming from a guy who owns 3 Jags and a freaking TVR).  LOL  No need to run off!
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800