News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tuneecu not connecting

Started by cladoo, August 29, 2016, 12:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cladoo

Hi I am new to this site and I have a 2005 955i with a Quill exhaust and I am getting lots of backfiring on deceleration, also my plugs show it running very lean.
I tried to hook up to change the mapping but it won't connect! Any suggestions? Thanks, Claude

Timbox2

Could be any number of things Im afraid, bad cable or driver are the most obvious. The Tune ECU site has most of the trouble shooting options although I should say that I too had a nightmare getting it to work on an XP and a Win 7 laptop but  got it to work first time on a Win 10 laptop. Im positive it was a driver issue, the first 2 laptops were ex work laptops and had lots of spurious drivers related to other USB-Serial connections.
2016 Tiger Sport

thebiglad

Quote from: cladoo on August 29, 2016, 12:01:43 AM
Hi I am new to this site and I have a 2005 955i with a Quill exhaust and I am getting lots of backfiring on deceleration, also my plugs show it running very lean.
I tried to hook up to change the mapping but it won't connect! Any suggestions? Thanks, Claude

Hi Claude, not strictly an answer to your question, but might be an answer to your problem.

There are 2 elements that interract to inform the ECU about fuelling, that might be causing the issues you are experiencing.

1. The AI (Air Injection) system and the O² sensor. The first is a system to reduce unburnt fuel in the downpipes. It 'injects' a small amount of air aft of the exhaust valve in the head, at low or 0% throttle openings. This ignites any unburnt fuel and therefore gives popping on over-run. It's all about manufacturer pollution targets.

2. The O² sensor measures the fuel/air ratio and sends the info to the ECU, so the fuelling can be optimised to meet pollution targets.

Both of this systems only work on part of the throttle range, normally 0% to about 10%.

Many peeps block off or remove the AI system to stop the popping on over-run which is does very successfully. HOWEVER, the O² sensor is still reading the exhaust gases and now see less air passing by, so it gives an over-rich value to the ECU, which in turn reduces the fuel/air ratio so the bike runs lean.

My belief is that IF you are going to remove the AI system then you should remove the O² sensor as well, replacing it with a 'dummy load' so the ECU gets the info it needs. THIS DOES NOT REQUIRE THE INSTALLATION OF A NEW FUELLING MAP.

I did this on my 2010 Bonny and the changes were really big. No more popping on over-run; much smoother throttle response from 0% upwards.

Hope this goes some way to helping you?

Cheers
Dave
2006 Tiger 955i

Chris Canning

Tim and Bixxer' know far more than me when it comes to Tune ECU,but what I can tell you there's no AI on out Stone Age 955's that a modern day thing(came in around 08)as for the 02 plug there's loads on here about my love/hate affair with such.

If Bix doesn't turn up PM him.

Sin_Tiger

:iagree Think you might be getting mixed up with the Bonnies on the AI issue.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

cladoo

I have a feeling it is my laptop. It is old but has windows 10 on it. I'll have to see if I could find a newer laptop.

Bixxer Bob

Everyone is right to a degree.  The AI system works as described, but Tigers don't have it.  Tim is almost certainly right about the driver issue.

Your cable should have come with a driver disk.  You'll have to connect the cable to your laptop, go into device management, find the cable in the USB area and delete the drivers.  Unplug the cable.  Disable the auto install of drivers so that Windows is forced to ask you if it can search the internet.  REconnect the cable, when Windows asks, say no and install from your disk.  It should then recognise the cable and TuneECU should connect.

Another thing that stops it connecting is low battery voltage so make sure it's healthy.

Once you are connected I'd do nothing other than copy your map to your computer then load the standard 10173 map from the TuneECU archive.  That'll reset everything and should sort it out.  You might have to change the number of IACV steps too but we'll get to that.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 30, 2016, 11:43:36 AM
Your cable should have come with a driver disk.  You'll have to connect the cable to your laptop, go into device management, find the cable in the USB area and delete the drivers.  Unplug the cable.  Disable the auto install of drivers so that Windows is forced to ask you if it can search the internet.  REconnect the cable, when Windows asks, say no and install from your disk.  It should then recognise the cable and TuneECU should connect.

Almost right John. Correct about not letting windows do the driver install. But......

There's actually a link on the Tuneecu site that'll direct you to the driver they recommend. They do say NOT to use the drivers supplied with the cable.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Timbox2

Well, I'll tell you this. On my new Win10 laptop I just plugged the cable in and it did the rest, and works fine.
2016 Tiger Sport

cladoo

This really frustrating. I cannot connect with my cable. I don't see where you can manually install the drivers with windows 10. I did borrow another cable from a buddy that works for him. It still won't connect to my bike. I don't have a manual so I'm not sure if I'm removing the proper fuse also.

JoeDirt

Quote from: cladoo on October 10, 2016, 09:18:20 PM
I don't have a manual so I'm not sure if I'm removing the proper fuse also.

To my knowledge... (which isn't much), the only fuse you remove is the one to kill the front headlights. So, you won't kill the battery. Pulling a fuse has nothing to do with connecting to TuneEcu. I purposely use an old XP laptop just because it works. :^_^

<added 15 minutes later>
I took my TuneECU cable and pluged into my Windows 10 computer and it loaded the driver automatically. If you go to the device manager on you computer it should look like below with a similar USB port (highlight'ed in yelllow). When you pull the cable out of your computer it should go away. Also, when you plug it into the motorcycle port make sure the key is on and the red switch on the throttle is on.

BTW... every time I put the USB into a different USB port... Windows 10 should automatically load the driver as picture in 2nd image.

Bixxer Bob

Like Joe says, if you get to device manager and find the yellow USB connection (with the cable connected but not working) you can click on it and uninstall the driver.

However, I have had loads of issues connecting a TomTom with an ordinary usb cable.  the setup fails and then it doesn't show up in the device manager so you can fix it.  I hate Windows 10.

As the geek said,  "MY girlfriend whispered in my ear the other night 'I've been a naughty girl and must be punished' so I loaded Windows 10 on the laptop"....

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...