News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear shock for 885i '99. Stock vs tuning

Started by Vampyre, August 29, 2016, 02:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vampyre

Hi gurus.
Could anyone ensure me that Wilbers shock will never allow my center stand touch the ground?

Now I'm riding on the stock shock and that is OK, until I fill all three cases with stuff and take my wife with me to a run. In this case I'm loosing all clearance and sometimes on bad roads I'm starting to scratch the ground.

I already replaced original stock for the same reason for a new one (almost not used from Ebay) and it seems that it's simply too weak for our roads.

Is anyone had this problem already?
885i T709 1999

thebiglad

Quote from: Vampyre on August 29, 2016, 02:05:37 PM
Hi gurus.
Could anyone ensure me that Wilbers shock will never allow my center stand touch the ground?

Now I'm riding on the stock shock and that is OK, until I fill all three cases with stuff and take my wife with me to a run. In this case I'm loosing all clearance and sometimes on bad roads I'm starting to scratch the ground.

I already replaced original stock for the same reason for a new one (almost not used from Ebay) and it seems that it's simply too weak for our roads.

I had a similar problem with some aftermarket shocks on my Bonny. It's not the shock absorber I found was the issue but the spring. When I replaced it with a stronger spring had no more troubles.
2006 Tiger 955i

Chris Canning

Quote from: Vampyre on August 29, 2016, 02:05:37 PM
Hi gurus.

Contact Wilbers(or others) with your weight in your riding gear and the same for your passenger and estimate the weight of the luggage it will transform the bike.

Timbox2

Yep, my Tiger came with a Hagon on it and was regularly bottoming out and grinding the centre stand, not even leaned over much. Since I put the Wilbers on its never got close even well loaded up and as far over as my skill allows.
2016 Tiger Sport

Vampyre

Quote from: Timbox2 on August 29, 2016, 05:50:54 PM
Yep, my Tiger came with a Hagon on it and was regularly bottoming out and grinding the centre stand, not even leaned over much. Since I put the Wilbers on its never got close even well loaded up and as far over as my skill allows.
what was your Wilbers setup? Did you order hydraylic preload or height adjustment? I really don't want to pay 800-1000 Eur for a full setup because it will be half of my Tiger's price:)
885i T709 1999

Timbox2

Quote from: Vampyre on August 29, 2016, 08:38:31 PM
what was your Wilbers setup? Did you order hydraylic preload or height adjustment? I really don't want to pay 800-1000 Eur for a full setup because it will be half of my Tiger's price:)

Hydraulic preload yes,(Almost obligitory on a Tiger) but nothing else ,  £620 from memory. Forget about what your bikes worth, with decent suspension it will handle better and feel more comfortable than most new bikes, and after 2 or 3 years you wont loose that much if you flog it on.

I blame that Canning bloke, ruined me for ever having a stock suspension bike again :icon_lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Look at the Dutch Hyperpro as well assuming you can handle the purple spring!! I've just checked the listing and it's not there American suspension end Sas maybe along with more info I'm sure he still supplies them.

Vampyre

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 29, 2016, 10:02:35 PM
I've just checked the listing and it's not there American suspension end Sas maybe along with more info I'm sure he still supplies them.
Sorry, my English is not so good so I completely don't understand this passage:)

Btw, I checked Hyperpro official site and they don't make shock absorbers for my 885i:(
885i T709 1999

Vampyre

Quote from: Timbox2 on August 29, 2016, 09:57:07 PM
Hydraulic preload yes,(Almost obligitory on a Tiger) but nothing else ,  £620 from memory. Forget about what your bikes worth, with decent suspension it will handle better and feel more comfortable than most new bikes, and after 2 or 3 years you wont loose that much if you flog it on.

I blame that Canning bloke, ruined me for ever having a stock suspension bike again :icon_lol:
was it type 640 or 641 with remote adjustment?
885i T709 1999

Chris Canning

Quote from: Vampyre on August 29, 2016, 11:11:39 PM
Sorry, my English is not so good so I completely don't understand this passage:)

Btw, I checked Hyperpro official site and they don't make shock absorbers for my 885i:(

There is a guy on here(this site)that sells Hyperpro an American but as I said and so have you its not listed on the official site.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Vampyre on August 29, 2016, 11:19:12 PM
was it type 640 or 641 with remote adjustment?

The 640 will do it doesn't have the remote reservoir but all depends on how bad your roads are and how far you travel two up.

Chris Canning

I had a clear out of my photobucket  account a few weeks back so this is mine with Ohlins but Wilbers are just as good if not better.

This will give you some idea with us two up in full kit and that Givi that I can hardly pick up my center stand has never been on the floor and that's with sticky tyres and a smaller front wheel.

Vampyre

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 30, 2016, 05:17:46 PM
I had a clear out of my photobucket  account a few weeks back so this is mine with Ohlins but Wilbers are just as good if not better.

This will give you some idea with us two up in full kit and that Givi that I can hardly pick up my center stand has never been on the floor and that's with sticky tyres and a smaller front wheel.

Well, I often travel like this:) in the speedbag my wife's equipment and all three cases packed so full so I had to jump on them to close

885i T709 1999

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

Vampyre

885i T709 1999