News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam Chain/Chain Adjuster

Started by nickjtc, September 23, 2016, 07:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

All righty, I'm hoping to glean some info here from all of you knowledgeable chaps.

What are the indicators for when it is time to change the cam chain and/or cam chain tensioner?

Mileage covered?
Unusual noises in the engine?

Should it be considered a 'wear item' and replaced as a routine?

And since we always change the drive chain and sprockets as a set, should the sprockets on the camshafts be changed at the same time as the chain?

Although there is no routine adjustment for the cam chain tensioner in a 1050 should it be stripped and inspected as routine maintenance?

The season is fast coming to an end and I have to dive into the top end to check the valve clearances, so while everything is exposed..... :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Not 1050 specific but as for any engine, if its not been replaced since new then its worth doing Nick, or if its noisy.  Unless the sprockets are damaged or obviously worn then they don't usually need replacing, maybe also the tensioner blade/guides, as for the tensioner - while you're in there its worth an inspection (there's usually a service limit length in the manual). - If only for peace of mind, especially if you're planning any more long trips like the last one. :icon_salut:

threepot

How far the plunger is out on the adjuster is a good indicator? Mine was hardly under any tension when I changed it(spring) and the chain recently. And as JD says,a good excuse also to check guides etc.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

According to Clive Woods... "If the timing mark is correct on the crank, but the arrows won't line up on the camsprockets, it means the chain is worn.  The worse the misalignment, the worse the wear.  The Haynes gives the wear limit for a 955 so I imagine the 1050 willl be the same.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 25, 2016, 05:23:57 PM
According to Clive Woods... "If the timing mark is correct on the crank, but the arrows won't line up on the camsprockets, it means the chain is worn.  The worse the misalignment, the worse the wear.  The Haynes gives the wear limit for a 955 so I imagine the 1050 willl be the same.

OK. Thanks
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"