News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel bungs issue, really confused.

Started by Dustykatt, September 29, 2016, 07:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustykatt

Ok, I had a nylon fuel bungs leaking issue after I took the tank off to do the coolant. They would NOT stop leaking even with the bike off, so I got a new set, THOSE leaked too. I took the tank to my dealer who had it a week. They put another set in and said id don't leak anymore. BULL! I put the tank on the bike and as soon as I started it, it leaked. AND KEPT LEAKING! So screw this!

I ordered the metal bungs as I found here on the site. It took a week for them to get here. I put the bottom one on no problem.

I put the top on in and it felt funny so I took it back out, sure enough the first thread is gauled. I check the threads in the tank and the look ok, O tried to thread it in by hand and it went right in. So I put tape on it and screwed it in. Its a little deeper than the bottom one but they both open the same distance, and yes I checked.

I put the tank on and hooked up all the wires and hoses, put the battery in just check it, and as soon as I started the bike it pissed gas all over the ground. Shut it off, take the battery out and pop the top male elbow and I get a face pull of pressurized gas! I don' think thats right. I took the plate out of the tank but I can't see anything wrong. All I can think of is the bunged up threads on the new bung. I think the threads in the plate are toast and letting pressurized fuel past them. If I need a new plate I don't even want to know what thats gonna cost.

Anyone have any other hypothesis? I'm at a loss here. At this point I have a giant boat anchor that was running fine 3 weeks ago until I wanted to do some basic maintenance.

:BangHead

Chris Canning

Saw the heading and thought Jeeze what's a fuel bung :icon_lol: untill I realised you meant female fuel connector!!,the threads on the metal females are tight when you screw them in and don't screw in as far as the plastic version it's a tapered thread.

Almost certainly you have cross threaded them so it'll be a new secondhand plate must be the first post on here with this problem.

Dustykatt

Before I go find a used plate, I have a tap on the way to see if I can fix this one. I already have like 150 bucks in this repair in parts so far. I love this bike but that love is being strained

New plate is 250 bucks, used plates with fuel pump and filter are 215 on eBay or like 100 if it comes from the UK.

Sin_Tiger

Tapered thread, a thread tap isn't likely to fix it. What thread is it BSPT or NPT?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 29, 2016, 07:42:49 PM
Tapered thread, a thread tap isn't likely to fix it. What thread is it BSPT or NPT?

From memory BSPT
2016 Tiger Sport

GasDepot

Could be the rubber gasket on the hose fittings
My local dealer stocks them so I'm not the first person to need them
Good luck
GD
2000 Tiger
1998 KLR
A cheep bastard with a large tank

Dustykatt

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 29, 2016, 07:42:49 PM

I actually bought the correct tapered thread tap to just clean up the threads a bit. Just waiting on the new parts so I can test it. If it doesn't work then it was a 10 dollar gamble beforeI drop 250 on a new plate.

Dustykatt

Quote from: GasDepot on September 29, 2016, 10:35:07 PM
Could be the rubber gasket on the hose fittings
My local dealer stocks them so I'm not the first person to need them
Good luck
GD

New rubber ring on the male ends, New threaded insets in the tank. One gaulded so trying to save the plate before having to buy a new one

Sin_Tiger

Taper threads are tricky to clean up without over doing it but  :iagree 10 bucks on black is worth a shot, hope it does the job  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Quote from: Dustykatt on October 02, 2016, 06:02:38 PM
I actually bought the correct tapered thread tap to just clean up the threads a bit. Just waiting on the new parts so I can test it. If it doesn't work then it was a 10 dollar gamble beforeI drop 250 on a new plate.

I'd be tipping the world upside down for a secondhand one before paying that kind of money  :bug_eye

Dustykatt

Just an update, I got the tap and did the deed.Using the one good brass insert (bung) I gently threaded it into the repaired hole. It went in easily and seemed to torque down correctly. Once pulling it out there was no damage to the threads on the bung. So I'm hopeful once the new bungs arrive that I can put this together and be done with it. I'll keep you all updated.

Now, where is that fuel filter part number, might as well while I'm in here
:friday

Dustykatt

Update!

I received the new fuel tank inserts (with Viton brings this time) and installed them with some Anti-Seize and they went in smooth as budda. SO I installed the tank and hooked it up, put the battery in just to test it and just enough gas to get it to pump and run.

Sure enough, the threads in the plate have sealed nicely and I won't have to screw with that anymore.

Sadly now the return line is pissing fuel out the center where the connection is. At this point all I can think of is the pressure regulator is screwed up and not allowing enough relief causing the pressure to back up and spit out the fitting. I DID take the regulator out when I had the tank on the bench. Cleaned out a little bit of trash and re installed it, but its still backing up and leaking. And YES, the male ends have new O-rings on them so I can eliminate that. Here is to pissing away ANOTHER 70 bucks on a part that I HOPE fixes the problem.

Dustykatt

Not to leave you guys hanging, but I've fixed the issue.

As soon as I installed the new pressure regulator, the leaking stopped. So all I can figure is it was backed up or just failed. Now I'm out riding the bike and the temperature goes into the half range during city riding and it's not even really that hot out. So I'm thinking it has an air bubble in the system. So the tank has to come BACK OFF to bleed the air.....again......

:cp