News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch

Started by HockleyBoy, October 17, 2016, 01:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

So, on Thursday night I left work on the Tiger and noticed that the clutch cable was a bit slack, adjusted up on the lever adjuster and carried on. A few junctions later I noticed it was slack again so tried to adjust further but had run out of adjustment. Just managed to get home but by the time I hit my road I effectively had no clutch.

The clutch cable was replaced less that 12 months ago (with an OEM from Triumph) so I don't think the cable has broken but I have ordered a new one to be on the safe side. I can adjust the cable on the lower adjuster so that it just about works but it means the arm is pointing forwards and has almost no movement.

Any ideas anyone? am wondering if it is likely the rod from the clutch to the cable is shearing or whether its just time for a new clutch (she's an 06 with just under 90k on the clock)

Would appreciate your opinions on this.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

What does your oil look like? Rapid deterioration like that is unusual  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Although 90k aint bad from clutch, as Sin says, to go all of a sudden is odd. I cant remember which way round the clutch wears on these. On my GS the cable went tighter as the clutch wore, does it normally go slacker on the Tigers? Dont know. Although rare, I have heard of the lifter arm itself wearing where it operates on the pull rod in the centre of the clutch. Whatever I think you aint got no choice but to pull the covers, if you can get the operating arm facing forward something definitely aint right.
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 17, 2016, 02:09:05 PM
What does your oil look like? Rapid deterioration like that is unusual  :icon_scratch:

Oil should be ok (changed less than 2k ago with my usual grade of Motul) but I will check tonight.

Havent looked at anything properly yet, was a bit p**ed off as am having an expensive month on all things mechanical (Landrover Defender headgasket and transmission as well as the clutch on my wife's Citroen) so I just stuck the bike in the garage and got the train to work the next day.

Definitely don't like the train so I need to fix the bike asap!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Timbox2 on October 17, 2016, 02:16:03 PM
Whatever I think you aint got no choice but to pull the covers, if you can get the operating arm facing forward something definitely aint right.

Oh well, might as well order some gaskets and take a look!

Chris Canning

When Tim sends me texts about 955 Tigers on ebay with 4800 miles at £2750 makes any serious repairs highly dubious.

At 90k gotta be plates at the very least.

Sin_Tiger

My Spidey senses tell me 200 TDI  :augie

My oil question was more about quality rather than amount or last change, more to put your mind at ease than anything else. Having said that I think TB2 is right, no point trying to second guess it and the suddenness also made me wonder about the mechanism.

Not my part of ship so I'll step back and let the more savvy guide you.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

See on ebay that a plate kit is 60 quid so cheap enough.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 17, 2016, 04:17:31 PM
My Spidey senses tell me 200 TDI  :augie

First of the 300tdis 1994, fixed now. Working my way through the transmission now, I have had her since 3 years old and she has 180k on the clock, unfortunately as soon as I fix one thing the problem moves onto the next weak link!

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 17, 2016, 04:51:47 PM
See on ebay that a plate kit is 60 quid so cheap enough.

From what I have read I suspect the clutch lifter has failed in some way as it was sudden but will definitely put a new set of plates and springs in while I am in there, at 90k they have done well and £60 isn't bad for the kit.

Bixxer Bob

If its going as you say, my guess is either the weld round the top of the lifter arm is failing or the bottom of the lifter arm itself. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 17, 2016, 09:28:28 PM
If its going as you say, my guess is either the weld round the top of the lifter arm is failing or the bottom of the lifter arm itself.

There seem to have been a few failures around this on other Triumphs, haven't seen any on Tigers though.

Just in the process of ordering the bits so I can have a look at the weekend.

HockleyBoy

Anyone know how many plates there should be in an EBC clutch kit?, I actually ordered the Ferodo kit but was sent an EBC which I will be complaining about. However I need the bike so Having soaked the plates overnight I find there are only 9 opposed to 10 in the bike when I opened her up this morning

Chris Canning

Honest answer is I don't know but if you go into the World of Triumph site and look at the parts fiche their are two different clutches for the mag wheeled tiger depending on the engine number can't be any more help than that sorry.

Timbox2

If I was asked on the spot I would have said 9,  7 of one type and 2 of the other, but that is a guess.

Just checked my OE manual, and it does state 9 Friction plates and doesnt say any different for early or late type??

Outer and inner plates 3.80mm (service limit 3.60)

All others 3.30mm ( Service limit 3.10)
2016 Tiger Sport