News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch

Started by HockleyBoy, October 17, 2016, 01:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Thanks Tim, not sure I have the right plates as it's not very clear mine is the 955 with the 1050 casings. The existing plates aren't terrible so have cleaned them up and oiled them before putting them back. Have changed the springs, lifter arm and dust seal and am in the process of sealing her back up. Clutch feels ok now but I won't know until I have finished and can test ride which is about an hour away.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Timbox2

Quote from: HockleyBoy on October 23, 2016, 03:22:58 PM
Thanks Tim, not sure I have the right plates as it's not very clear mine is the 955 with the 1050 casings. The existing plates aren't terrible so have cleaned them up and oiled them before putting them back. Have changed the springs, lifter arm and dust seal and am in the process of sealing her back up. Clutch feels ok now but I won't know until I have finished and can test ride which is about an hour away.

Im not sure EBC are listing the kits correctly, they seem to list the same clutch for all 955 Tigers, CK5589.  On the Triumph parts fiche they show that from Engine no 232539 onwards its the same plates as a 1050 Tiger, which is I assume the engines with the 1050 casings. EBC list a CK5599 for 1050 Tigers, which is probably what you need, but Im not sure.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Can't offer any more than a complication because the silencer that fits 855 also fits the 955 but has a totally different number so untill someone tries different plates who knows what fits what but clearly their are 3 different numbers,one for the spoke wheel 955 and two for the mag wheel version depending on the vin number.

HockleyBoy

Thanks Tim, have spent several hours on the net only to come to the same conclusion as you that it's ck5599 I need (at least it has 10 plates!). Haven't refilled the oil so will order this one and try again.

Looks like I have a spare ck5589 set if anyone is interested.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 23, 2016, 07:07:02 PM
Can't offer any more than a complication because the silencer that fits 855 also fits the 955 but has a totally different number so untill someone tries different plates who knows what fits what but clearly their are 3 different numbers,one for the spoke wheel 955 and two for the mag wheel version depending on the vin number.

It is a bit of a nightmare on the 06 bikes because even the parts shops aren't clear what fits what as the model was in transition. Looks like mine has the 1050 clutch as it's the only one with the same number of plates.

Timbox2

Quote from: HockleyBoy on October 23, 2016, 07:14:39 PM
It is a bit of a nightmare on the 06 bikes because even the parts shops aren't clear what fits what as the model was in transition. Looks like mine has the 1050 clutch as it's the only one with the same number of plates.

Sounds good mate, just realised my Triumph Workshop manual is a 2005 edition so doesnt know about the later clutch either. So, one for the memory banks, later engine covers equals 10 plates.
2016 Tiger Sport

benebob

Sorry I'm late to the game, yes you have the 1050 clutch if you got 1050 cases.  I replaced mine about a year ago (plates look fine,cleaned and scored 'em and new discs and seal.  Didn't stop my drag problem though.  Good luck!
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Timbox2

Quote from: benebob on October 26, 2016, 01:42:48 PM
Sorry I'm late to the game, yes you have the 1050 clutch if you got 1050 cases.  I replaced mine about a year ago (plates look fine,cleaned and scored 'em and new discs and seal.  Didn't stop my drag problem though.  Good luck!

Ah, Ive seen a few posts about clutch drag on the 1050's on other forums, some blame oil specs, others say its not fixable apart from changing oil sooner. Im sure I came across one post that hinted at Triumph having some sort of mod that involved getting more oil onto the plates. Its interesting that if you check parts fiche for later Tiger Sports and speed Triples it would appear that Triumph have modified the plates a few times, they even do a "Clutch Pack" for the very latest bikes, friction plates and discs all together.

This sounds uncannily like a certain BMW K bike clutch issue, though to a lesser degree I think, eh Chris??
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Quote from: benebob on October 26, 2016, 01:42:48 PM

Thanks, we got there in the end, have had an EBC CK5599 kit delivered today which is specified as the 1050 clutch and has the right number of plates. My plates looked ok but when I measured them they are worn which I think has contributed to the problem with the problem/wear on the lifter arm.

Plates will be in the oil tonight and all being well fitted tomorrow. Hopefully I will be back in business by this time tomorrow!

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Timbox2 on October 26, 2016, 03:55:13 PM
Ah, Ive seen a few posts about clutch drag on the 1050's on other forums, some blame oil specs, others say its not fixable apart from changing oil sooner. Im sure I came across one post that hinted at Triumph having some sort of mod that involved getting more oil onto the plates. Its interesting that if you check parts fiche for later Tiger Sports and speed Triples it would appear that Triumph have modified the plates a few times, they even do a "Clutch Pack" for the very latest bikes, friction plates and discs all together.

This sounds uncannily like a certain BMW K bike clutch issue, though to a lesser degree I think, eh Chris??

Havent had too much in the way of clutch drag on the old clutch although I have experienced the problem of finding neutral when the bike is hot on a couple of occasions which may be related. I do change my oil every 5k though.

With a bit of luck the new plates will be fine for the rest of the life of the bike.

benebob

Don't foget to clean your steels with some brake cleaner then scuff 'em up to keep the sticking down.  I also change my oil at 5k or less but even after an oil change can pull up to a light when the oil is up to temp and in first I can feel the bike want to move forward if I blip the throttle. 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

HockleyBoy

So plates replaced, lifter arm replaced, springs replaced and all back together. No better than when I started!

Looks like it may be the pressure plate bearing as there is a fair amount of free play in and out on the lifter rod. Just bought a second hand pressure plate on eBay, hopefully that will be it as am running out of things to replace.

HockleyBoy

Have now replaced the pressure plate (and bearing), and lifter rod with parts from eBay. Clutch is now in adjustment and seems to be working well which is just as well as there isn't much more to replace!

Have been for a 50 mile test ride and other than needing a little more adjustment it was fine. Hopefully this is the end of my clutch problem, it hasn't been fun but at least I have learnt a lot about Triumph clutches😀

'Triumph, turning riders into mechanics since.........'

HockleyBoy

Update on this

Clutch problem has returned and I have lived with it for quite a while but it isn't ideal so I thought I would have another crack at it.

I purchased a surflex clutch kit (£160) which included friction discs and steel a while ago but hadn't fitted it.  As I had an hour or so free on Friday I thought I would fit it and hopefully see some improvement.

One hour and 10 minutes all fitted and ready to go (I am getting pretty quick at this now!), test ride and all seems ok. Ride to work this morning and exactly the same as before, engine warm in traffic and the plates start sticking, By the time I get to work, no chance of finding neutral without adjusting loads of slack out of the cable!

Getting a bit p1%^ed off with the whole thing now  :BangHead

mark4

My experience of bike clutches is not on the Tiger, but may still apply..

Bikes can be VERY fussy about the stack height (total thickness of plates and steels). If this is thicker than factory (and aftermarket often are) then you can get problems with either not disengaging properly or the plates could stick together as there is no clearance for them to be lubed by the oil properly. This could also lead to difficulty changing gear or finding neutral. (my Tiger is very fussy over oil and gets sticky shift if I don't put synthetic oil in there...but that's another story..).

My other bike is an FJ1200 and I had problems with the stack height. In the end after trying EBC plates I bought some factory fibre plates and new steels which brought the stack back to factory specs. Since then I've had no problems. So my advice would be to buy the Triumph plates and steels according to your engine number (from Fowlers or WorldofTriumph). IF you do this, measure the full stack before fitting to compare with the ones you have in already and maybe the EBC's if you still have them. If they are the same then that is likely not your problem, but if they are markedly different (more than 1 or 2 mm for the stack) then that could be your issue...

It's just my thoughts from my own expensive experience!  :BangHead  :icon_lol: