News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gaining a motorcycle licence in the UK

Started by Bixxer Bob, October 20, 2016, 11:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Here's a bit of a paradox.  I just read that the Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA) is lobbying the Govt to simplify the process for gaining a motorcycle licence, argueing that:

1. The current three tier licence is offputting for young people.
2. You can drive a 300bhp tractor on the road at 16 so why limit motorcyclist unfairly.
3. What is the point in sitting exactly the same test three times?

Don't see anything wrong with any of that, except maybe number two is a bit unbalanced.  I live in Norfolk, the tractor capital.  You can't move round here for the damn things.  And yes, I have seen them driven by what looks like children.  I also have access to the most up-to-date road accident stats through my road safety work with the Council and Police.  The young -driver-on-a-tractor doesn't feature anywhere in the accident stats.

The conundrum is that these self-same manufacturers have, in recent years, invested millions in developing mid range motorcycles to suit the regulations.  I don't see that as a problem - licencing aside I've thought for a long time that there's a dirth of choice for anyone that doesn't want 140-plus BHP.  It looked like an untapped market.   But it just strikes me as odd.... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

I'm as guilty as the next man by the fact modern day tests don't effect me so I've taken no notice untill recent,I thought the Direct Access was boardering on the criminal by the fact you could all but buy yourself a big bike license,and the current state of play must be really off putting to young kids.

At the same time things have changed,we live in a 'I want it now society' along with all my mates I went 200/250/350/500/500/750/750/1000 and that was self imposed and took 6 years I knew I was in it for the long haul and treated it like a job.

The 33hp is a ball ache but the previous direct access produced a grand supply of organ donors so maybe it's time to let kids ride a 250 for a set amount of time.

ghulst

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 20, 2016, 11:46:17 AM
I also have access to the most up-to-date road accident stats through my road safety work with the Council and Police.  The young -driver-on-a-tractor doesn't feature anywhere in the accident stats.
Might that also be because they are a slightly different beast to drive than say a 200hp superbike or 200hp drift car? ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

Guys BB's talking about the UK system, it could get a bit confusing if other country systems are tossed into the mix.

Chris, I understand what you're saying but there is the 21 year old limit as well for the younger ones. Older guys can do as you say and there's a much danger in that as testosterone doesn't seem to diminish much with age, I'm as guilty as anyone. I think there has to be a means for older guys to progress a bit quicker on at least the basis that they should have learned something by then.

I've not had to go through this 3 tier system myself but if there is not an increasing level of ability testing at each level and its just a repeat, then it can't have been properly thought out.

The system engine size, power, weight and relationship to age is not something I fully understand but I have no doubt it's been worked out based on statistics furnished by actuaries and I have an innate distrust of that profession from personal experience.

While I don't agree with a system that allows a new car driver to jump into a high powered vehicle as soon as the ink is dry on the paper, if you can afford one and it's insurance. Consider this, you can't spend an afternoon driving around a car park followed by an hours observed drive and then go out on your own without supervision in any size of car. You can on a bike.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

All I can say on such I ride a bike on gut instinct it's what has keep't me alive over the years but it's something I aquired between the age of 16 and 30 helped with 8 years racing off-road,because I quickly realised that I could ride a bike on the road for a 100 years I'd learn to survive but not learn to ride a bike,I did that on an enduro bike from the Welsh 2 day to the Weston beach race when the front is going one way the rear the other.

The current law over here problably keeps the statistics down and not a lot else.

Bixxer Bob

All good stuff guys; I didn't expand enough, but my comment on the tractor drivers and stats meant kids on tractors tend not to crash, kids on bikes do some sort of regulation is needed if we are, as Chris says, to keep the stats down.  My raising the topic was more about me not understanding why the MCIA are asking for something that, if they win (which they wont) makes their mid range bikes redundant in the future.  If I was a cynical person I'd say they're making a noise to be on side with riders while knowing their money is safe.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

BTW, the MCIA are already behind a scheme that I support. It's a well known fact that the DSA are under resourced and so if you run a cowboy CBT organisation there's little chance of getting caught.  Some Council road safety partnerships tried, with good intent,  to do some inspecting themselves but we're told by the DSA to push off, inspecting is our job.  Faced with this issue and realising dead kids are bad press and not good for the sales figures the manufacturers got together, formed the MCIA and introduced a registration scheme.  To qualify you must be inspected regularly and teach to an approved format ( which complies with the CBT requirement).  Main dealers will only recommend registered schools so in time, as a CBT school, you'll only get work if you're registered. It'll become like a Kite Mark.  The DSA are on board with this approach so hopefully we'll see improvememt in instruction in the future as the cowboys drop out.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 21, 2016, 10:05:42 AM
I quickly realised that I could ride a bike on the road for a 100 years I'd learn to survive but not learn to ride a bike

You've said it before Chris and I have to agree, I hear those words in the back of my skull on those days when it's not quite coming together.

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 21, 2016, 12:37:13 PM
Main dealers will only recommend registered schools so in time, as a CBT school, you'll only get work if you're registered. It'll become like a Kite Mark.  The DSA are on board with this approach so hopefully we'll see improvememt in instruction in the future as the cowboys drop out.

Sadly so many of these bodies are form filling themselves into oblivion. There is at least two of the larger bike sales groups in central Scotland that have training arms loosely attached, speaking to them on the subject I think they are of the same frame of mind when it comes to knowing where your potential vegetables are coming from.

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 21, 2016, 12:27:21 PM
I didn't expand enough, but my comment on the tractor drivers and stats meant kids on tractors tend not to crash, kids on bikes do

Thanks for clarifying, puts a different slant on it.  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint