News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I love my Steamer, BUT....

Started by London_Phil, November 21, 2016, 11:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Little Rant

After stripping, cleaning and rejetting the Keihins a few months ago. I drained the carbs fully, and left the bike dry.
Going to use it today for a friends Funeral (Biker), and guess what, yep,  those carbs are misbehaving.
Cant use my car, so Tiggers gotta be ridden...
I'm going to leave in about 30 mins, and hope they clear, as the carbs were clean just a short while ago.
I love my Steamer, But I ride infrequently now, and I can't afford to spend time trying to get the thing to run every time I want to ride.
Thinks its time to start looking....I know the 1050 is a great bike, but I'm having feelings about the 800 range....

Ride safe all...

Phil

Mustang

this stuff wo r k s ...........................
it keeps ethanol from going off bad even after all winter ................and I find it prefers if you leave the carbs wet .(leave the gas on)

threepot

Or,have you got a Shell garage nearby?? Try running with VPower?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

vince

I found with my 93 trident similar bike
fuel stabiliser and decent fuel no probs in 19 years
use v power in my 955i better fuel economy
and now v power  in my 800

800 is the way to go  :wheel
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

threepot

I've tried VPower in both my bikes. Not much difference in my Tiger,but noticeable in my super3. I think its got 5% ethanol,but its got the additives you don't get in cheaper fuel? Worth a shot?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on November 21, 2016, 11:44:13 AM

this stuff wo r k s ...........................
it keeps ethanol from going off bad even after all winter ................and I find it prefers if you leave the carbs wet .(leave the gas on)
:nod And this is also good... I use it in the tank in Autumn/Winter when the bike isn't used as much. So then if I don't intend riding it for a while I drain the tank, run the engine til it cuts out, then using the bowl screws I drain the carbs of any remaining fuel.  This always works for me, and on recommissioning, with fresh fuel she fires straight up. :icon_biggrin:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

London_Phil

Thanks Guys, will look into the UK available conditioners.
As mostly happens, after 20 miles the bike cleared and purred the rest of the way, but it's those first few miles, in suburban traffic with a bike that only runs at 3K.
In the cortege there was my Steamer, a Girly, an Explorer and a 1050, but no 800's
I have to look at the longer term with a 21 year old bike, a potential London charge of 12.50 per day when travelling in the low emission zone with a carburetor, and my low use riding.
I can just about stretch to £5K which gets me a fairly decent 800 with ABS, and I think that's where I'm going to be looking for the longer term.
I have to be carefull with the financial controller at home, as the phrase " do you really need a bike anymore" has been uttered..........
Difficult decision, I really do love that bastard Steamer.....

threepot

Women :icon_rolleyes:
Couldn't you slip some of that Lucas stuff in her Horlicks? It might condition,and stable-ize her? :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

Mate, your poking a nest of snakes with that remark........ :bad

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on November 22, 2016, 09:00:45 PM
I can just about stretch to £5K which gets me a fairly decent 800 with ABS, and I think that's where I'm going to be looking for the longer term.

Difficult decision, I really do love that bastard Steamer.....

I think you're on the money there mate, personally I'd go for an XC with the better suspension, won't get under your skin like a Steamer but you won't be disappointed.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on November 22, 2016, 09:11:35 PM
Couldn't you slip some of that Lucas stuff in her Horlicks? It might condition,and stable-ize her? :icon_wink:
:*&*
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Timbox2

3K gets you the best Girly ever, £2.5K for the bike and another £600 or so on a Wilbers. Just saying.  £5K is knocking on the door of a 1050 Sport ????
2016 Tiger Sport

Ossian

Quote from: London_Phil on November 22, 2016, 09:00:45 PM
I have to be carefull with the financial controller at home, as the phrase " do you really need a bike anymore" has been uttered..........
Reminds me of
"Darling, I don't think that you really need that motorcycle any more"
"You're beginning to sound like my ex-wife..."
"I didn't know you'd been married before?"
"I haven't"

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Ossian on November 23, 2016, 05:43:37 PM
Reminds me of
"Darling, I don't think that you really need that motorcycle any more"
"You're beginning to sound like my ex-wife..."
"I didn't know you'd been married before?"
"I haven't"

:rfl  :*&*
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Each to his own but I just don't get the 800 in fact looking at the stand at the NEC I don't get Triumph either God knows where they think they are going they are we'll on the way from mainstream to oddball.