News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I love my Steamer, BUT....

Started by London_Phil, November 21, 2016, 11:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Quote from: Timbox2 on November 23, 2016, 05:36:09 PM
3K gets you the best Girly ever, £2.5K for the bike and another £600 or so on a Wilbers. Just saying.  £5K is knocking on the door of a 1050 Sport ????

5k is two excellent steamers. One will usually be working. You know it makes sense.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

Quote from: Chris Canning on November 24, 2016, 11:00:49 PM
Each to his own but I just don't get the 800 in fact looking at the stand at the NEC I don't get Triumph either God knows where they think they are going they are we'll on the way from mainstream to oddball.

The 800 is lovely but lots of things are making it look old. Triumph have lost there way a little of late. Good bikes, not class leading bikes.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

Lots of food for thought.
I agree with most of the comments, but, not sure I could live with another Steamer, pleasure pain ratio is now rather unbalanced.
Just don't like the Girly look, (probably alienated half the forum...sorry)
1050 is the head choice, and cheaper, but heart prefers the 800 look
Probably ought to try a 1050 though.
I know there are other offerings out there, but I do like the Triumph brand.
The 800 XC just looks right to me, I sat on a couple of 800 versions at Laguna in Maidstone, and I liked them.
I've seen an 800XC abs with all the extras I could possibly want in lovely condition which I'm hoping to get to see in the flesh on Saturday.
With the lower miles I now do, I think the bike, if serviced at the correct interval will give me 2 years before major service required, and no accessories to buy will mean I can just ride the thing when I get the chance.
Hope those 21" front wheels are not like my old choppers when it comes to roadholding, but again I ride conservatively and occasionally, so we'll see.

Choices Choices.....

Sin_Tiger

I doubt you'll notice a big difference with the 21" the better forks deal with it well. Just my opinion but I've found the 800 a bit easier to handle in traffic, there seems to be a wider sweet spot at slow speed of you know what I mean. The 1050 just begs to be thrashed, even the pre sport model.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

If I was looking to change,it would definitely be another Tiger. Which one?? I've ridden the 1200..nice. The engine :nod
Two friends of mine have it. One traded his 2014 one in for 'new',and these guy's have lots of miles with various types,and makes. Before buying the new one,he took a GS 1200 out,and took it back after a half hr,and told them it wasn't as good as his Tex :icon_smile:
I've also ridden the 'new' 800 with the WP suspension. I was 'really' impressed with that! But I really like the look of the 'new' 1050 :nod
But,for now,my Steamer still ticks the boxes :thumbsup

Think you need to try both types Phil?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

I appreciate there are lots of good bikes out there.
I Chose the Tiger 16 years ago, and I just like them.
I dont have the finances to stretch much further than 5K, and the 1200s are not cheap, I know the 1050 is a great bike, but it just doesn't move me like the Xc.
As Sin says, it may not move me like the Steamer, but given I went from a 1979 1340 Shovelhead Harley to the Steamer, it wont take much to impress me...

Timbox2

Quote from: London_Phil on November 25, 2016, 09:23:46 AM
Just don't like the Girly look, (probably alienated half the forum...sorry)

No worries mate, Im on my second and looks havent come into the equation on either really, they are a Head buy, not heart. Though there is something endearing about Fugly bikes, and women come to that, they are always really grateful when ridden, oops,  :bug_eye. Did I say that out loud.
2016 Tiger Sport

London_Phil

Quote from: Timbox2 on November 25, 2016, 04:29:32 PM
Though there is something endearing about Fugly bikes, and women come to that, they are always really grateful when ridden, oops,  :bug_eye. Did I say that out loud.

We're heading for dangerous waters here, Pirate Captain........

Chris Canning

Always fun reading threads like this and Tim and I have have had many recently along the same lines and when I was looking to run something else along side my 955 and the other bikes we test rode several the only one I didn't was the 1200 Explorer because that's not were I am going but the only solution is riding them and I've found my best train of thought is just as I'm nodding off in bed :icon_lol: many days after each test ride.

I still think the sensible option is the very latest 1050 sport and wait till the price drops,as it happens sensible didn't come into it in the end  :icon_rolleyes: and I went away from Triumph but Jeeze you ride some of the latest wiz bang stuff you realise how the game has moved on and thats from a bike owner who likes to upgrade his bikes as they start to show their age.

London_Phil

Fate intervenes.
Got a call at 4.55, "sorry we just took a deposit".
Looks like I'm going to get some reflection time, and maybe try a 1050....
Rats.....

Chris Canning

I've only ridden one steamer and being used to fuel injection it was like Pony Express compared to email with the exception of the very last carbed Yamaha R6's I'd never go back to such in a million years as letting the bike stand I've left my 1100s for 12 months and even with old fuel it will fire bang on the button.

London_Phil

Quote from: Chris Canning on November 25, 2016, 07:50:28 PM
I've only ridden one steamer and being used to fuel injection it was like Pony Express compared to email with the exception of the very last carbed Yamaha R6's I'd never go back to such in a million years as letting the bike stand I've left my 1100s for 12 months and even with old fuel it will fire bang on the button.

Yep, I think for me the issue of the carbs has become a game changer.
I know some guys have no problems, and some seem to spend masses of time and effort on keeping them clean.
For me, the cold wet garage, and low use make it an uphill struggle, regardless of what fuel additives are used.
Now both the kids are living away means I can hopefully ride more, but these last few seasons have been a mixed bunch, and almost always fuel/carb related.
I've got a tatty Mercedes C124 from 1995 that sits for weeks, but that baby fires up and runs every time.....Fuel injection.......

Timbox2

I know its above the budget, but another test in Ride Magazine sees the latest Tiger Sport get a very good review against the Tracer and Versys 1000.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

And AGV do a matt black / green helmet to match it  :*&*
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

London_Phil

Quote from: Timbox2 on November 25, 2016, 09:28:22 PM
I know its above the budget, but another test in Ride Magazine sees the latest Tiger Sport get a very good review against the Tracer and Versys 1000.

It may be a super beast, but its at least double my budget, and my daughter now tells me shes got her driving test in the new year, so looks like i'll be buying

IF I can afford It.....

May come down to price at end of the day, so 1050 may still be an option, as they seem generally a few grand less, ie the cost of a small car difference...
I'm all confused again....