News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

will Tiger 800 or Explorer front wheel fit on 05 Girly?

Started by haggis95, December 04, 2016, 06:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haggis95

I've been searching ebay for a spoked Girly front wheel, but to no avail. Plenty of 800 spoked wheels though.

My question is whether the front wheel off a spoked Tiger 800 would fit the 05 955i? If not would it be a big job to make it fit.
There's a Tiger in my garage

Timbox2

Quote from: haggis95 on December 04, 2016, 06:04:02 PM
I've been searching ebay for a spoked Girly front wheel, but to no avail. Plenty of 800 spoked wheels though.

My question is whether the front wheel off a spoked Tiger 800 would fit the 05 955i? If not would it be a big job to make it fit.

Confident it wont go straight in, you do realise  the 800 spoke Frt wheel is a 21" and not a 19" and I think it would take a fair bit of modification, axle type and diameter is different, bottom of forks etc. No doubt it can be done, think Ive seen a Girly with a 21". Oh, and then there is the speedo drive which you will loose
2016 Tiger Sport

haggis95

OK - didn't realize that - so maybe the 1200 xc, that has a 19" front wheel.

haggis95

I just took a chance on ebay and bought a new unopened 1200xc front wheel for $400!
19" by 3" and rotors from a whole slew of Triumphs fit it.

Now to see if it fits!  :rfl

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

haggis95

Timbox2

Quote from: haggis95 on December 05, 2016, 02:16:10 AM
It's only a bargain if it works!

Think your biggest problem will be getting the speedo to work
2016 Tiger Sport

haggis95

Timbox2

Quote from: haggis95 on December 05, 2016, 09:14:45 PM
Hadn't thought of that yet. What makes you say that?

The speedo drive/sensor fits into a recess in the front wheel hub on the 955 Tiger and is driven directly by wheel rotation. No such thing on the later bikes, totally electronic
2016 Tiger Sport

haggis95

Hmm - I hear the electronic speedo aftermarket calling my name  :sign13

Sin_Tiger

If you can get the wheel to fit, a cheap bI cycle speedo will do the job until you figure something out.

Was there a reason you didn't consider a Steamer wheel?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 06, 2016, 11:14:01 AM
If you can get the wheel to fit, a cheap bI cycle speedo will do the job until you figure something out.

Good point, that would go straight in wouldnt it?  Or not, speedo drive  oil seal is very different size.
2016 Tiger Sport

JayDub

that shouldn't be a big problem, a bearing & seal supplier would just need I.D. x O.D. x thickness, and whether single or double lip... wouldn't they?  :icon_smile:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

haggis95

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 06, 2016, 11:14:01 AM

I considered it, looked for one but couldn't find one.

Timbox2

Quote from: haggis95 on April 30, 2017, 06:28:19 PM
I considered it, looked for one but couldn't find one.

So, 4 months later, did it fit?
2016 Tiger Sport