News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Black Tiger's South American adventure.

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 20, 2016, 01:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Not seen anything else on here recently about Howie and his trip so I thought I'd put a couple of lines.

It was going well with lots of photos on Facebook till last week.  First he had an off at about 60mph.  Surface damage to the bike and clothing but nothing serious.  I think he broke a handguard and the headlight lens came off, maybe a few of plastics.

A couple of days later he had another, rather minor off in deep sand.  9 time out of 10 it would have been nothing, but he fell awkwardly adn broke his left leg just above the ankle.  He ended up in hospital while his mates recovered his bike.  He's now up and about after having a cast fitted and his mate buying him a set of crutches so he's in the midst of arranging to get home.  Healing then continuing with the trip was considered but he wants to get home so tht he can have the leg checked properly.

No doubt he'll be back giving a full write up in due course but it just goes to show;  even though Howie is one of - if not THE - most experienced on/off road rider on the forum this side of the pond, it only takes a split second to go wrong so be careful out there.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

On the same theme of "it only takes a split second.." yesterday I attended the funeral of one of the best blokes I ever had the pleasure of calling Boss and who was an all round top bloke.  Gp Capt Chris Armstrong was a very active chap; classic cars, off shore sailing, skiing, snowboarding,  you name it he'd done it.  In recent years he'd taken up gliding and had progressed through basic pilot, cross country pilot, mountain soaring and powered glider pilot to full on instructor. Last summer he celebrated his 70th birthday and was in the process of buying an electrically powered glider to replace the one he shared in a syndicate  but, sadly, while flying over Leicestershire on the 4th Dec he was involved in a mid-air collision with a light aircraft.  The light aircraft landed safely but Chris was killed.

You just don't know what's round the corner.  Like Howie, and Chris, we all know the risks but still do what we love.  You just have to be mindful of the possible consequences.  And check your Will is up to date....

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Apparently H is now back in the UK safe and well (ish).  I'll post more when I get it.

Sin_Tiger

Your a cheery soul but you're right  :icon_wink:

Looking forward to reading about his exploits, I'm sure he'll have some interesting anecdotes and insights. Just because the trip has been cut short and possibly on hold doesn't mean it wasn't an adventure  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Judging by what he posted on facebook he was having a great time riding and had discovered lots of new beers.

So in summary...

:rrr :occasion14 :rrr :occasion14 :rrr :occasion14 :nap
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 23, 2016, 02:01:11 PM
Just because the trip has been cut short and possibly on hold doesn't mean it wasn't an adventure  :thumbsup

+1. Been there, done that  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"