News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Correct Valve shims

Started by bemusedinsojo, January 11, 2017, 02:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Here I am again asking advice. I checked my valve clearances today (using the RHS motor crank method, thanks to all who helped and castigated me so I'd see the error of my ways). Anyway, these are the results:

intake       .05-2.75   .05-2.75   NC-2.75      NC-2.6   .08-2.75   NC-2.5

tentative      2.65         2.65          2.6        2.50        2.65       2.35

NC is no clearance. That being said my smallest feeler gauge is .05 or .002. All the NCs have a movable shim bucket except for the last one. That is why I went three sizes smaller as I think Mustang said to do in the Steamer valve how to section.

Can I have an amen? Or did I misunderstand the valve chart?

Thanks.

PS the last two shims would not break free so I got a can of canned air as suggested by someone on the forum and put the nozzle in the slot (ha ha I'm like 12 right?) blasted air and those suckers popped up and out of the bucket.

Mustang

you are doing well grasshopper  :bowdown

threepot

Any update? I'm in the process of resolving a 'no clearance' issue on my Super3,. Hope to have the head off tomorrow? And hopefully just put in a replacement set of inlet valves.
I've heard of 2 possible causes..'soft' valves, or a 'soft' head,where the valve seats 'sink' into? Modern fuel may also cause the inlets to 'soften'??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: threepot on January 15, 2017, 12:20:27 AM
Any update? I'm in the process of resolving a 'no clearance' issue on my Super3,. Hope to have the head off tomorrow? And hopefully just put in a replacement set of inlet valves.

I ordered 2 shims from the Triumph dealer so I haven't finished it yet. I don't think you need to remove the head do you? Just the valve cover, or cam cover as it is called in the manual. Unless your NC issue means you need to redo the head. Have you run out of shim sizes to get proper clearance?

In my case I still have some time before I need a head refresh (in terms of valve room). How close is your super 3?

PS I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence.