News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Future for Batteries?

Started by Timbox2, January 13, 2017, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Quote from: Chris Canning on January 24, 2017, 10:29:10 AM
It's all relative as they say  :icon_biggrin:

My days of wanting or having to ride during the winter are long gone,my garage is exactly the same temperature as my living room I walk straight out of one into the other,but the carpet isn't as good in the garage  :icon_redface:

In 47 years of biking I have never been stuck in traffic that's why I ride a bike us Europeans filter.

The Lithium on my SuperMoto is just running into its 4th year and been on a charger twice(out of curiosity),now I do not suppose for the majority neither of the above are the norm but if nothing else gives folks a cross reference  :icon_lol:

I guess you also never had the pleasure of riding thru the painted desert.  It failed there as well.  Nothing crazy temp wise but luckily it had enough power in it that I could push start it.  If not it was a freaking desert and would not have been a nice place to stay.  It was all of 2 weeks old at that point with a better regulator rectifier then Triumph put on the bike.  If you used your bike all year round in the US a lithium battery is not for you.  Oh and you are right, I never had to charge the thing either but if it doesn't do its job and start the bike that really doesn't matter does it.  :) 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Chris Canning

I had my Armageddon with a motorcycle battery a few years ago having ridden 175 miles stopped for fuel before having to catch a ferry to leave the country only to find it stone dead and 30 minutes to work out what the hell we were going to do and it wasn't a Lithium.

For some reason the relative part seems to have missed you if I lived in a desert maybe I wouldn't use one or a K&N filter for that matter but the majority do not!!,just like the majority don't walk out of their living room into the garage which currently is 17c  :icon_biggrin:

John Stenhouse

Stop making me jealous Canning, Ive got a bit of exhaust fettling to do and it's pigging freezing in my garage.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

benebob

Quote from: Chris Canning on January 24, 2017, 04:15:58 PM
I had my Armageddon with a motorcycle battery a few years ago having ridden 175 miles stopped for fuel before having to catch a ferry to leave the country only to find it stone dead and 30 minutes to work out what the hell we were going to do and it wasn't a Lithium.

For some reason the relative part seems to have missed you if I lived in a desert maybe I wouldn't use one or a K&N filter for that matter but the majority do not!!,just like the majority don't walk out of their living room into the garage which currently is 17c  :icon_biggrin:

Nor do I but when I want to ride I want to ride and with a Lithium battery that has parameters that send it into safe mode so that it doesn't BLOW UP you are stuck with what it wants to do that day.    As I said 6 times living in a very nomal climate my bike was useless last year (and it would have been 60 times if I didn't remove the  pos and run with a winter battery).   Hell I think a Harley would start more than that but i guess if you'd rather ride in a cage then that explains it.  :) 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Timbox2

So, what have we learnt?.

Lithium may not be for everyone. Certainly not Benebob, very possibly not for me, but I never did pin all my hopes on it anyway, my Yuasa is still there as back-up. It was more curiosity than anything else and its stuff like this that we learn from and maybe pass on, and since leaving BMW behind I have more money for product testing anyway.  :icon_lol:

Oh, and lets not forget the other thing weve learnt, that Canning bloke has a Garage many of us would be happy to live in, Bastard :icon_wink:
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: Timbox2 on January 24, 2017, 09:52:06 PM

but I never did pin all my hopes on it anyway, my Yuasa is still there as back-up. It was more curiosity than anything else

Oh, and lets not forget the other thing weve learnt, that Canning bloke has a Garage many of us would be happy to live in, Bastard :icon_wink:

Hence why I dipped my toe in the water 3 years ago with my SM and then my 955 last year,40 years ago the cold may have been an issue but those days are long gone apart from the odd trip to Le-Mans as is freezing my balls off while working in a garage.  :icon_biggrin:

Mustang

Quote from: Chris Canning on January 24, 2017, 04:15:58 PM
:blah :blah :blah
,just like the majority don't walk out of their living room into the garage which currently is 17c  :icon_biggrin:
is that anything like this ...................... :mut

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Timbox2

Is that a set of scales :icon_wink:
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Glad I'm not the only lunatic on here :icon_wink:

Mustang

Quote from: Timbox2 on January 25, 2017, 06:49:28 PM
Is that a set of scales :icon_wink:
thermostat in the garage ........... :*

JayDub

What is this 'garage' they all speak of? :icon_frown:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Timbox2

Quote from: JayDub on January 25, 2017, 08:40:45 PM
What is this 'garage' they all speak of? :icon_frown:

Its a bit like Hip Hop, in it, West Side :*&*
2016 Tiger Sport

benebob

Quote from: Timbox2 on January 24, 2017, 09:52:06 PM
So, what have we learnt?.

Lithium may not be for everyone. Certainly not Benebob, very possibly not for me, but I never did pin all my hopes on it anyway, my Yuasa is still there as back-up. It was more curiosity than anything else and its stuff like this that we learn from and maybe pass on, and since leaving BMW behind I have more money for product testing anyway.  :icon_lol:

Haha, to each his/her own.  I was all for the idea (plus it got me back on the road immediately rather than waiting for a lead to get charged when my 7 year old battery failed in Iowa 2 summers ago.  Only to realize the $160 I paid only gave me that blissful ignorance for less than 2 weeks and 8 states before it started acting like a lithium battery does.  BTW Chris, you're garage is 6 degrees warmer then my house thermostat.  If I turned it up that high, I'd never wanna go out skiing.   lol
13 Tiger 800