News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

threepots head job

Started by bemusedinsojo, January 15, 2017, 12:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Also threepot what do you mean soft? Is it running funny? Ethanol is bad juju.

threepot

No need to remove head to change shims,but,yes you're right, 3 of my shims are down to the 'minimum',so the valves  need changing. I'm hoping it's just the valves,and not a 'seating' problem!
Fuel softening the valves ..It's just something I've read. Who knows??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: threepot on January 15, 2017, 12:33:35 PM
No need to remove head to change shims,but,yes you're right, 3 of my shims are down to the 'minimum',so the valves  need changing. I'm hoping it's just the valves,and not a 'seating' problem!
Fuel softening the valves ..It's just something I've read. Who knows??
In the US the Feds subsidize  corn. So farmers farm corn. Lots of corn but not enough demand to use all the corn. What to do? Make it into alcohol and put it in gas! Plus there is some form of corn in most of our food including genetically modified corn. Anyway, the damage done by ethanol is profound and IMHO the government should have warned us of the deleterious affects. I'm trying not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but corn subsidies are having a negative effect on us in the US. All that being said, I love me some corn on the cob! :mut

When is the head coming off?

threepot

Managed to undo 7 of the bolts,then my torx bit give up on the last one! Damaged the bolt! So I need to buy a new one,and hope? Also,the 2 stupid little screws at the front of the head didn't want to play game also,rusted,and seized! So ?? Maybe a sharp,cold chisel is my only hope?
Triumph 'f####d' up big time in some of the fasteners they used IMHO! The bolts for the cams and head..the recess for the torx bit is just not deep enough! It's like you've got 1 chance to get it right,and thats it! :icon_evil:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

Spent the last day or so swearing at Triumph for much the same reason, then remembered the bike is 20 years old and it was probably fine when it left Hinckley...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

You need really good quality torx bits, Facom, Snap-On or the like. Most just flex too much.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bemusedinsojo

Maybe try to put all the bolts back in then snug them down. It should take some pressure off the bad bolt. Now go after the bad one with vise grips or an easy out/bolt extractor. Unscrew all bolts a few turns at a time in triumph's service manual suggested order. Be careful of metal fragments falling into the open engine.

That is what I would try first. After that I don't know.

Good luck.

Mustang

bwahahahahaha ........................................

threepot

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 15, 2017, 11:45:21 PM
You need really good quality torx bits, Facom, Snap-On or the like. Most just flex too much.
How do you rate GEDORE? Halfrauds used to sell Facom,not any more. Snap on,only from a van. But been to local tool shop,they can order GEDORE?? Think their German,good quality??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Timbox2

Quote from: threepot on January 16, 2017, 03:50:17 PM
How do you rate GEDORE? Halfrauds used to sell Facom,not any more. Snap on,only from a van. But been to local tool shop,they can order GEDORE?? Think their German,good quality??

GEDORE? , I thought that was the perfume advertised by Charlize Theron :icon_lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Timbox2 on January 16, 2017, 06:16:24 PM
GEDORE? , I thought that was the perfume advertised by Charlize Theron :icon_lol:

Is that not GEORDIE  :*&*

GEDORE = GEbrüder DOwidat REmscheid". The Dowidat brothers from Remscheid have been around for a long time and for good reason  :thumbsup

They also make big hammers  :cp
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Seriously now, for anything Torx above say Tx30 I tend to buy either Teng or Beta
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

Called into a motor factors opposite one of my drops earlier,would you believe it..they were Teng agents! So took your advice Tim,and bought one for the princely sum of £8.50 :thumbsup
So I called down to the garage after work,eager to try my 'new' tool! I've been thinking   over a day or so ,what  if??
But thankfully,it came out with no problem :icon_biggrin: But I still had those two little @#$`&*@ at the front!! But with a little persuasion from a nice , sharp cold chisel,the heads sheared off nicely. Took a while to release the head though. Some gentle persuasion with a lump hammer,and a block of wood did the trick! Think it was stuck on whats left in of the front screws.
Haven't inspected the head yet,but the bores look good, with no lip,and plenty of croosshatch(thats good yeah)?
Gasket was in a state! All the black coating had started to separate. But the metal sealing edges looked good.

Header pipes need a refurb,and oil cooler an pipes are in a state! New beckons? The joys of winter motoring in the UK! SALT!! :icon_mad:   This job is going to cost more than the price of a head gasket :icon_rolleyes:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

Holy cow those pipes are in bad shape!

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger