News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

threepots head job

Started by bemusedinsojo, January 15, 2017, 12:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

The ones on the radiator. Did you lose any coolant out of them? After I saw yours I went out and checked mine to see if I have that epic rust.

What were the screws to that you had to cut on the head?

threepot

That's the oil cooler. Not fitted to the Tiger. The oil pipes were on the verge of blowing,due to rust! One broke as soon as I pulled away from its mounting!The metal water pipe to the pump is also badly corroded.
The remainder of the front screws can be seen in the photo. I'm hoping I can screw them out?
I'm going to have to spend a bit to get it back,more than I thought. But it's been a good bike in the 18yrs I've had it,only needing a crank sensor,and just basic maintenance,so I can't complain. It is 21 yrs old after all.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

My answer to the sctew removal is WD-40 and vise grips.  :new_popcornsmiley Tell me how the head job goes. Are you refurbishing it yourself or taking it to a machine shop?

threepot

I'll make a start on the head later. A friend has got a set of inlet valves for me. Just hope the 'seats' are OK?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

I snapped more than one torx when doing the Girly head (three I think).  I was talking about it to Clive Woods and he said it happens all the time so don't feel you are alone mate.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 18, 2017, 10:47:12 AM
I snapped more than one torx when doing the Girly head (three I think).  I was talking about it to Clive Woods and he said it happens all the time so don't feel you are alone mate.
Cheers Bob. A lesson learned I think! The torx set a friend loaned looked nice,but unbranded! Obviously not up to the job. Just spending a small amount on quality tools ,and doing it right first time,can save you long term

Bob,what kind of valve compressor did you use? There are a few types?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Seeing as I've got to take the cylinder liners out to reseal with Hylomar,I thought about cleaning the pistons? They can be cleaned by soda or vapour blasting.

Theres a company near to me that can do it. Not sure of cost,but they can clean the head also?

Should be able to get pistons off easily,and new gudgeon pins are cheap to replace.
What do you think?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup leave the baking soda in the packet.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Pistons cleaned up really well with wd40,and a bit of elbow grease. But,liners won't budge! Tried gently tapping around edges to try and break seal ,and wd40 between them  :^_^
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

I forget who it was here that came up with the idea but you might want to try an expanding drain pipe plug with a longer handle and rocking it in a circular motion, some heart from a convection heater on the outside of the casing won't do any harm.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Worth a try ST? Their so 'snug',I'm sure I could've left them? But after trying to get them out,got my doubts now? Not sure how much movement breaks the seal?     Also,Didn't expect the pistons to clean up so well in situ.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Timbox2

Once youve gone that far you might as well reseal em, you wouldnt half kick yourself if you put it back together and had a leak. Hylomar is such a lovely shade of blue anyway, you might come over all Van Gogh :icon_lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Bugger but like you say, too risky. Try the plug with the piston low and gently bump it.

Sparky

Quote from: threepot on January 19, 2017, 05:50:38 PM
Pistons cleaned up really well with wd40,and a bit of elbow grease. But,liners won't budge! Tried gently tapping around edges to try and break seal ,and wd40 between them  :^_^

As opposed to mine with no sealant the pistons pushed the liners up when the engine was turned over  :^_^
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

threepot

Apparently 2 screwdriver handles or similar either side as levers might do it? Can't see how Hylomar can bond that much? And liners and bolts are very clean..no rust.
95 Super111
96 Tiger