News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

threepots head job

Started by bemusedinsojo, January 15, 2017, 12:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on February 14, 2017, 10:53:23 PM
Almost done. Lot of work you did.
The hard part is buying the parts to put it all back..New oil cooler,and pipes,New valve stem seals,head gskt,New cam cover cap screws,I'd recently changed the cam chain,tensioner,top and tensioner blade,and I was given a new front chain blade,so that's saved a bit.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Well,I was finally at a stage earlier ,when I could 'fire' the bike up...or at least try! :icon_wink:
A last minute hitch connecting the metal coolant pipe to the pump. I'd noticed quite a bit of corrosion where the pipe fits. So I thought I'd do a proper clean and inspection. I removed the 3 screws holding the top plate of the pump to the body,but the whole assembly came away,not the plate. I'd fitted a new seal a few yrs back after experiencing a leak,but it seems that the pump body had been removed previously ,and resealed with gasket compound! The rubber seal was still insitu. So I cleaned it off,and smeared a small amount of blue hylomar,and re assembled.
I'd bought a remote fuel reservoir to balance the carbs. So I connected that up to the 2 fuel feed pipes to the carbs,using a Y shaped adapter. Fresh oil,and water,I cranked it over a few times with no choke to pump the oil into the cooler. And surprisingly,it tried to fire! So on the 4th attempt,I gave it a little choke,and yippee..it burst into life!
I let it idle low to make sure the oil had a chance to pump around. Checked everything for leaks etc,and sods law..a drip from the pump! :icon_frown:  So It seems there was a leak previously from all that gasket compound?
But I'm happy that the bike runs,and it sounds good after giving it a few revs. Luckily,a new pump seal is available separately :icon_smile:

Just realised,that seal at the back of pump is an oil seal. Cant figure out why its suddenly started leaking? I've just bought a good 'used' one on fleabay quite cheaply..just incase?

95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Took it out for it's first run earlier. Glad to say..all good! Haven't ridden it for several months,and I realised what an awesome bike this is!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: threepot on March 18, 2017, 11:35:32 PM
Took it out for it's first run earlier. Glad to say..all good! Haven't ridden it for several months,and I realised what an awesome bike this is!
It looks good. I like the color.

Timbox2

well done mate, fair amount of work you did there. What happened to the lower fairings?
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

I'll put the fairing panels on next. Left them off to check for leaks etc. You'd be surprised how much cooler the engine runs With them off.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Spud Murphy

Quote from: threepot on March 18, 2017, 11:35:32 PM

GIS IT  :cp

Cheers Spud  :icon_wink:
WTF am I doing ?

London_Phil

Most impressed with your efforts mr 3P, well done.
Damn fine looking beast too.

threepot

Quote from: Spud Murphy on March 19, 2017, 09:48:38 AM
GIS IT  :cp

Cheers Spud  :icon_wink:

I know Spuds itching to have a go :icon_wink:
I could bring it on the next meet?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: threepot on March 19, 2017, 12:47:29 PM
I know Spuds itching to have a go :icon_wink:
I could bring it on the next meet?

Queue forming as we speak  :wheel
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Update. I've been using,and enjoying riding the Super3 for the past several weeks . Compared to the tiger,you feel like a jockey on a race horse,with the higher footrest position(or lower seat) Generally,the bike has been running really well. Starts ok with full choke,seems generally smoother than before,cruises nicer at a higher speed,and pulls really strong above 3.5k revs. But..below that,if the engine is under load,say on a gradient,it seems to 'bog down',and I have to go down a couple of gears to pull through it? Also there seems to be 'valve clatter'? This soon clears above 3.5k. I've suspected a faulty fuel tap recently? When the tank was off,I couldn't get fuel to empty on 'prime'. And the bike has 'cut out' on three occasions. Seems like fuel starvation? Bike restarts after a couple of minutes. Any thoughts?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

I say look for vacuum leaks. One of my carb intake rubbers had a split and when I went up a hill it stumbled and acted like it was out of gas.

threepot

It's been a while but...
Not done much with My Super3 since My trip down to Cornwall for the 50th anniversary Daytona meet. I experienced a few issues,as mentioned above. Bought a rebuild kit for the fuel tap,and removed carbs for inspection . Guess what I found? A missing diaphragm spring spacer!! 😕Without that,the needle is free to do what it wants basically? So I'm guessing it was travelling up into the spring,and allowing too much fuel in,hence the 'bogging down' at low revs? Anyway,all seems well. No fuel starvation,and bike running really well! ☺
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Hi all. Just thought I'd update you on an issue I've had with the bike recently. Apart from the issue with the fuel tap,and carb,the bike has run faultlessly,and I've covered a few thousand miles. But about 6 weeks ago,I noticed the expansion tank pressurising,and filling with coolant. I purchased a new radiator cap,but no difference. Checked thermostat,that was ok. I even tried a spare water pump,but still the same! Then I noticed small traces of white sludge on the dipstick.So a couple of weeks ago I lifted the head off. I can only say i was quite gobsmacked what I discovered! All the cylinder liners,and the block cavity were covered in a red film,and one corner of the block cavity was full of residue? But the biggest shock was the condition of the gasket! It had literally started to break up,as if it was de-laminating? Now it looks like corrosion,but I definitely had a sufficient mix of coolant,and water.  I'd refilled with red OAT coolant,and I'm wondering if it's had some reaction with the gasket?
I have phoned Triumph,and not had a good experience with them! They asked me to forward photos,and assured me that the gasket is compatible with modern coolants? They didn't respond for nearly 2 weeks until I chased it up yesterday. I spoke to a guy in their tech dept,and he told me it's unlikely they'll take any action as their parts have a 2 yr warranty,and it's over this since I replaced the gasket!! Even though he agreed a gasket should last considerably longer than that. He told me he'd make enquiries about supplying a replacement,and phone me back. He hasnt!
I'll try and post some photos
The guy at Triumph told me the company that produced the original gasket had gone bust,and they are now manufactured apparently to the same spec elsewhere? Note the difference from original on page 1?
95 Super111
96 Tiger