News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Alternator cover bolt torque and other questions

Started by Linux_Tyro, January 28, 2017, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linux_Tyro

Hello Gents,

Having to replace the alternator cover as I crashed my '06 Tiger in Arkansas in November.  Just now getting around to fixing her up. I noticed the bolts were only finger tight and there was no thread locker.

Can someone recommend a proper torque for these bolts and would you use a small dab of blue, medium thread locker? Just picked up some high temp rtf silicone for the wiring as it leaves the cover.

My plan is to just use wheel bearing grease on both sides of the gasket and then torque it up based on your recommendation.

Thanks guys.

Timbox2

The actual Torque setting is 9Nm, no threadlock of any type, I did this last year, you just need to make sure the mating surfaces are nice and clean. I also just put a smear of grease on the gasket, thats all. 

Im guessing yours is the later engine without the breather in that cover?( No breather pipe coming off it).  If its the early engine you have to take certain careful steps regarding the seal for the centrifugal breather.
2016 Tiger Sport

Linux_Tyro

Thanks for the help. I'll skip the thread locker then. Correct. No breather that I can see.

Quote from: Timbox2 on January 28, 2017, 09:42:29 PM
The actual Torque setting is 9Nm, no threadlock of any type, I did this last year, you just need to make sure the mating surfaces are nice and clean. I also just put a smear of grease on the gasket, thats all. 

Im guessing yours is the later engine without the breather in that cover?( No breather pipe coming off it).  If its the early engine you have to take certain careful steps regarding the seal for the centrifugal breather.