News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another Stator Failure

Started by HockleyBoy, February 16, 2017, 12:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Riding to work Friday morning, things started to shut down starting with the tacho. Barely made it into the garage before it cut out altogether. Took a new battery to work the next day which got me the 40 miles home.

Tested the stator yesterday and when revved I get 20ish volts across two of the phases but only about 9 across the third. So ordered a new one from M&P and a new regrec as well just to be on the safe side. Combined with the battery and a new cable that was about £200  :icon_cry: Will fit them Friday and hopefully be back in business.

Only replaced the stator about 18 months back but have done over 30k miles in that time so maybe it isn't as bad as it seems.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Timbox2

Out of interest what's the state of the plugs from stator to reg/rec etc?  How many miles your bike done now total then?

I feel its only time before this gets me, 2 Girlies and 50k between the 2 and so far, touching lots of wood,  Ive escaped. I was thinking of investing in one of the electrex rec/regs  that go straight to battery, bit like a sasquatch mod.
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Plug from Stator to reg/rec ok, I replaced them about a year ago as I noticed they were looking a bit off. Bike has 92K miles on it now and this will only be the second stator (I think). I have a shindegen regrec which has been pretty good, replacing it with another to be on the safe side.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Ossian

What type of reg/rec are you using?
For some time now, it has been reckoned that changing from the old Shunt type (which is the standard one) to a Series type results in cooler running of the stator and as a result it will last much longer.

Timbox2

Quote from: HockleyBoy on February 16, 2017, 07:15:19 PM
Plug from Stator to reg/rec ok, I replaced them about a year ago as I noticed they were looking a bit off. Bike has 92K miles on it now and this will only be the second stator (I think). I have a shindegen regrec which has been pretty good, replacing it with another to be on the safe side.

92K  :icon_biggrin:  Thats brill, and yeah, for the mileage that aint bad at all really, good on ya :thumbsup
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Ossian on February 16, 2017, 07:33:30 PM
What type of reg/rec are you using?
For some time now, it has been reckoned that changing from the old Shunt type (which is the standard one) to a Series type results in cooler running of the stator and as a result it will last much longer.

Am using a FH012AA reg rec which is a mofset? I think its a shunt type but not sure

HockleyBoy

Excellent service form M&P so I installed the stator last night, changed the wiring and the reg rec, all back in business today. 13.9v on tickover. Rode the 40 miles to work and all seems good.

Will have a look at series RegRec as a possible future mod

Ossian

Quote from: HockleyBoy on February 17, 2017, 09:49:40 AM
Am using a FH012AA reg rec which is a mofset? I think its a shunt type but not sure
I think you are correct.
If you haven't already seen it, this thread on the Rat site is worth reading. Though it is quite long.
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade-2.html