News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

No start, briefly

Started by Timbox2, February 18, 2017, 06:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

I wasnt worried honestly, but odd thing happened briefly at Telford.

I turn up at Bike show and security guy points at a bit of Lawn to the side to go and park on, I pull onto said lawn, turn bike off,  then realise ground is very soft, cheers Security man, side stand sinks very quickly and I cant find me puck, so I go to pull her forward a bit, switch on, clutch in and prod starter button, all I hear is a feint click from somewhere, try again and same thing. Ignition off and on, and then she starts no problem, and the issue didnt return for rest of day?? Any ideas? Sounded like a relay, but I know there isnt a starter relay as such, load relief relay maybe?? Or solenoid itself?

All ideas gratefully received
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Mine used to do this periodically Tim.  It got so bad on one of the France trips that I bought some breakdown insurance on-line just incase (just as well I did because 2 days later I picked upan 8mm drill in the back tyre).   I never realy got to the bottom of it;I stripped and cleaned the solenoid connections and the engine earth connection which seemed to improve it but it still did it occasionally.  My suspicions after that leant toward the clutch switch because if it "clicked" instead of starting, flexing the clutch a couple of times usually got it going but I never got round to changing it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Cheers BB, yeah Ive got Breakdown cover anyway. I was thinking clutch switch as a possible culprit, Im guessing shorting the contacts further back down the loom would work as a get me home if necessary?

Yep, even more convinced now, just went and disconnected the clutch switch and I got the exact symptoms, relay clicking in the cowl area when I try to start, so Ive given the clutch switch a spray of contact cleaner, at least I know how to bypass now if needed :thumbsup
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

If need be just disconnect the switch and short the two connectors.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...