News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant type

Started by threepot, April 05, 2017, 11:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Put some red/pink coolant in my Daytona. It's G12 spec,that my daughter uses in her VW. Apparently it phosphate and silicate free? Is this OK to use in the t3,t4 engines,or should I confirm with Triumph?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

I think you need to do a bit more digging on this, the 1st article that came up when I googled G12 was an article saying it should never be mixed with other types, and that systems must be completely flushed if mixed.
It could cause no problems at all, but I use the Blue one and change it every few years on the Steamer, ( or after two weeks, when you have to remove the rad to fit the correct fan!!!)
Most testing shows there is so little difference in thermal efficiency, its probably easier to use the blue, and replace it regularly.
I wouldn't have used G12, if it were me.
YMMV

Chris Canning

Two separate issues going on,when it comes to my Tiger I put Silkolene Pro Cool in used for years and  for the extra few pennies it costs saves all the issues of pink or blue.

I inherited an old turbo diesel car some years ago and that recently needed the coolant topping up what was in the header was neither  then found out you can buy coolant that mix's with both and it's been fine.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Chris Canning on April 06, 2017, 09:33:53 AM
then found out you can buy coolant that mix's with both and it's been fine.

That'll be water then  :mut
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Produced by Opticare but it is clear  :icon_biggrin:

threepot

Hi. Phil,System was flushed before filling. I think this stuff should be ok?
Chris,I think Prestone is the 'mix with all type's?
Thanks
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Timbox2

I normally have used Pro-Cool like Chris. Last time I wanted to do a complete flush couldnt get any and bought a 2 Liter Can of Granville Coolant which has to be diluted 50/50, so got a couple of litres of Distilled water. Cost in total was about £6 for 4 litres.
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

Yes,I've read never use de-mineralised water? Apparently,in Wales,tap water is OK to use,due to it's low mineral content? I used it the last time I changed the coolant on the Daytona. And when I did the valves recently,there was absolutely no corrosion on any part!
95 Super111
96 Tiger