News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

starting issues

Started by bigcountry, April 17, 2017, 02:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcountry

I took delivery of my 2006 955 on Friday.   It took numerous attempts to start the bike finally; at the end of the day it started.   Saturday, same thing and finally cranked over in two hours.  I went to the gas station to fill it up.  Again, after I filled it up - no start, finally an hour later it cranked over.   The power seems to be fine.  I rode it for about two hours/with out turning it off.   I got back home and turned it off and poured some K100 in it and when I attempted to start it again--no luck.   28 hours later still no luck. 

Any history, similar issues with you gents?
Thanks BC
2006 Tiger 955i (new to me 2017), 2014 Trophy SE

JoeDirt

Fuel, Air, Spark...

The Girlies are infamous for charging issues which comes under the "spark" category. These bikes need 12+ volts to run and it is very easy to check prior to starting with a voltmeter. I am guessing you had the battery on a charger doing all that starting... you got 12+ volts.

Good fuel is a smaller issue. It is hard to get bad fuel in the United States, unless it is old fuel with a lot of water in it from sitting.

Air... only an issue when it is running and you are getting poor running issues.

I personally would focus on charging: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/board,58.0.html

Timbox2

When you say "No Start", do you mean not turning over at all? Do you get a feint clicking from cockpit area when you push start button? If so try bypassing clutch lever switch
2016 Tiger Sport

oldboybob

I had this exact same issue with my 2006/7 girly just after taking delivery. Back to dealers and loads of messing around but eventually after advice received on this very helpful forum I put on a new battery sorted it straight out (the dealers paid for the battery), the old battery was turning it over ok but not firing it up. Oh and don't give it any throttle on start up.

Hope this helps
2007 Tiger 955i

oldboybob

Quote from: bigcountry on April 17, 2017, 02:27:00 AM
I took delivery of my 2006 955 on Friday.   It took numerous attempts to start the bike finally; at the end of the day it started.   Saturday, same thing and finally cranked over in two hours.  I went to the gas station to fill it up.  Again, after I filled it up - no start, finally an hour later it cranked over.   The power seems to be fine.  I rode it for about two hours/with out turning it off.   I got back home and turned it off and poured some K100 in it and when I attempted to start it again--no luck.   28 hours later still no luck. 

Any history, similar issues with you gents?

See this attached thread ;-)

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,15932.0.html
2007 Tiger 955i

bigcountry

Thanks guys,
They changed the fuel pump, lines, vacuum lines, spark plugs/wires, compression on all three cylinders was 225.   I will check the battery tomorrow.   I've had it on the charger for two days.  It did crank when my buddy came to get me when I got stranded--we jumped it.  I am thinking it might be battery. 

Thoughts on YUSA or one from batteries plus. 
Thanks BC

JoeDirt

Quote from: bigcountry on April 18, 2017, 03:16:34 AM

Thoughts on YUSA or one from batteries plus.

I went through two of the lead acid YUSA batteries and I have currently been using an AGM battery with success. AGM stands for Absorbed Glass Mat...

After doing a lot of research I ended up with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YMRH70/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice article on GEL vs AGM at:

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/gel-vs-agm.html

PeteH

Quote from: Timbox2 on April 17, 2017, 06:35:15 AM
When you say "No Start", do you mean not turning over at all? Do you get a feint clicking from cockpit area when you push start button? If so try bypassing clutch lever switch

My problem was the cable further down from the clutch switch, a duff wire in the crimp push connector on the loom, seem to recall it ties in the horn etc
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

bigcountry

I just changed the battery and still have no luck.   I am thinking it's a fuel problem.  I will look at the clutch cable as well. 
Thanks BC

bigcountry

:occasion14 :>< :* Success!

No just a wet dream.   I let it run for 1/2 hour.  I turned it off and the bike just went dead.   When I tried to restart it it just went click, click, click....  So, I am going to let it sit on the trickle charge over night and see what it is. 

Oh, I listen for the fuel pump and it pumped up...  Still no luck. 

If it's a stator/regulator issue any suggestions on good after market products?  And, where can I get a good voltage meter to hang on the bike.   Cheers Bill
Frustrated, but I still love my bike:)
Thanks BC

bigcountry

ok, all is good.  I  bought a voltage meter.   She measured 12.9 before start/no trickle charge.  It started and hovered around 12.88 all night and after 7 stop starts over a 4 hour period.      I am away on business so I will have to see what she does when I return.    I left it on the trickle charge. 
Thanks BC

rcgomes

Hello I also come here to say that in my motorcycle what I noticed is something I never saw !!

If I try to start the bike with the trottle on  it does not start !! If I do not put my hand on the accelerator and only the finger in the start button she start no problem!!! very strange this bike have soul i dont know i need to post a video about this

SteveFord

Let the IACV handle the starting duties - no throttle needed.

Timbox2

Quote from: rcgomes on May 02, 2017, 10:41:14 PM
Hello I also come here to say that in my motorcycle what I noticed is something I never saw !!

If I try to start the bike with the trottle on  it does not start !! If I do not put my hand on the accelerator and only the finger in the start button she start no problem!!! very strange this bike have soul i dont know i need to post a video about this

As Steve says, "Dont Touch Throttle" when starting. It even tells you this in the owners manual, and its pretty standard for any Fuel Injected bike, opening the TB's just confuses the ECU
2016 Tiger Sport

bigcountry

Yep, since I stopped hitting the throttle -no issues.   Cheers
Thanks BC