News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

cant open radiator cap

Started by rcgomes, April 30, 2017, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcgomes

hi hope all pple well. in 02/2017 i visit UK and was beautifull good weather all green and drink good cider beer never drink before!! i buy also 2 oil filter for bring back to my bike because here is hard to find (only d€aler)

now i have a problem

i remove the thank because i need to clean the air filter, change spark plugs and change radiator coolant!!

the problem is the cap dont come off.... have secret? i change in my cars and remove veary easy here dont understand!! first time i do this miself in the bike

i show a video here for see the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekK10g3rOcs&feature=youtu.be

thank you

John Stenhouse

There is a security screw in the edge of the fitting, remove that first
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Timbox2

No, after the first 1/4 turn you have to then push down on the cap as you twist
2016 Tiger Sport

rcgomes

good morning. i will try this  :occasion14

rcgomes

Hello, I got the radiator open and I changed the coolant.

I noticed that I have to add on two sides, the radiator and the plastic tank! If the liquid that I put in the radiator  lower the level i can add in the  plastic reservoir? They do not seem to be connected ... because I flush the radiator and the liquid in the plastic tank did not go out !!! thank you

Timbox2

Quote from: rcgomes on May 02, 2017, 10:31:14 PM
Hello, I got the radiator open and I changed the coolant.

I noticed that I have to add on two sides, the radiator and the plastic tank! If the liquid that I put in the radiator  lower the level i can add in the  plastic reservoir? They do not seem to be connected ... because I flush the radiator and the liquid in the plastic tank did not go out !!! thank you

The plastic tank is called an expansion tank, and thats the clue. You have to remove the tank from the bike if you want to drain and clean it properly. Then refill the expansion tank to the min mark and refit to the bike, then what you should be doing is filling the radiator/engine VERY slowly until you get coolant coming out of the little bleed screw on top of the thermostat housing, squeeze the hoses every now and then to push any air pockets out. You then close the bleed screw put the rad cap back on and the fuel tank etc start the bike up and let it warm up. Then let the engine cool down totally then adjust the level in the expansion tank, I would say never go above half way between min and max.

DO NOT Mix the 2 hoses up going to the expansion tank, the one on the side is an overflow, the one going in from the top is the one that goes to the radiator neck.
2016 Tiger Sport

rcgomes

after remove the thank and install i think all ok and now the fuel line leaks the top one!! i think i connect good the red down and white up!! the white leak from the side metal. is the rubber problem? not broken yet

:BangHead

Timbox2

OK, some will chime in and say it doesnt matter which way round they go, but, white is feed and red is return and they are different bore sizes on the hoses, 8mm for feed and 10mm for return. The lower union on the tank is the feed, so as far as Im concerned you've got them the wrong way round, sorry. Your leak could be the O ring, but more worryingly they look like the original plastic male fittings which should have been replaced years ago on a recall, difficult to see really though but the females look as though one is metal (Top) and one plastic(Bottom). For peace of mind I would replace them all with new metal ones, there is loads of info in the forum on doing this
2016 Tiger Sport

rcgomes

ah maby you right tehn!! i conenct maby the small on on the top!!! tomorrow i will see!!! where i can buy the metal ones? thank you

rcgomes

hi i try conect diferent but leak bottom now. i think white conector problem!!! and they have the same diameter 11mm

Timbox2

Quote from: rcgomes on May 29, 2017, 10:59:09 PM

hi i try conect diferent but leak bottom now. i think white conector problem!!! and they have the same diameter 11mm

Not that end mate, its the hose inner diameter thats different
2016 Tiger Sport

PeteH

One of my new fittings was occasionally leaking, replaced the O ring eventually replaced the pressure switch doins, then I found the problem.....the hose was leaking  :icon_redface: cut it back half inch and reconnected and all was fine  :wings

I got my metal tank fitting here here - https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/ the elbows were replaced under recall at my local Triumph dealer.

Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

blacktiger

Quote from: rcgomes on May 29, 2017, 10:59:09 PM

You need to buy some "Viton" O rings for the connectors. And when you push them in, it's best to push on the latches so that the O ring doesn't have to push past it which can damage the O ring.
And it doesn't matter which one goes where. I found that the pipes are under less strain when they're in the wrong holes. So my bike has been run like that for about 14 years.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

rcgomes

hi i use some teflon tape and for now worked!! the interior oring rubber have a crack i think the leak comes from there