News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical Gremlins

Started by VABird, May 18, 2017, 10:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VABird

Out for a short ride today and the gremlins showed up!
Battery is 14 series AGM, about 6 months old.

(In order of being noticed)
1. After quick shutdown (less than a minute-bike @ operating temp) it would not restart. Luckily on a hill, so bump-started.
2. Tach went to "zero" during shifts, back up under load. Eventually stayed at zero.
3. Neutral light VERY dim. barely noticeable.
4. Speedo quit. (tach also)
5. Headlights pulsating and very dim (LED bulbs; normally bright)
No testing done yet. I got it home and put the bike on charger.

What are the most common causes of these symptoms? Regulator? Alternator?

The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Bixxer Bob

Symptoms are for a flat battery. since its only 6 months old it's probably good so either regulator or generator.

If you look in the how to section there's a link to a good test procedure written by Electrexworld
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

As BB says sounds like battery, but also just check the main fuse and holder  (On side of battery), and both multi plugs from the Reg/Rec.
2016 Tiger Sport

VABird

Thanks to both. Will start there.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.

VABird

Quote from: Timbox2 on May 18, 2017, 11:08:52 PM
As BB says sounds like battery, but also just check the main fuse and holder  (On side of battery), and both multi plugs from the Reg/Rec.

Battery load tested good, main fuse looks fine too. A bit of corrosion in the connector from the RR to stator, but not that much.will continue testing when I get back from my trip.

VABird

OK, I had the bike off the road since last posting doing a lot of detailing, paint, maintenance....
Finally got it back on the road today and had forgotten all about my "gremlins" which are still there. Same symptoms as before.
Following the troubleshooting guide in the "How to" section, I believe the issue is the Reg/Rec, so the questions are ....

There seem to be a bunch of different writeups and opinions on the best replacement R/R.
What is the best solution?
Prices vary widely for the SH775AA from $55 to $265 (USD). Is that the way to go?
Will this replacement require a different connector setup?
Also reading about relocating for better cooling. Recommended?
Also overheating & melted wires with these?
Is there a good chance that the stator is bad as well?

Timbox2

Pop the cover off the generator housing and have a look at the stator,  its normally quite obvious if the stator has suffered, but be aware that if your bike has the breather hose coming off the gen cover you must not leave the cover off for any length of time without putting a sleeve of some sort( Same dia as end of balancer shaft that seal sits on) in the seal to stop it deforming. There are many newer reg/recs available the SH775AA being one, and the FH020AA being another, the FH020 is the one Triumph now fit to later bikes like my 2016 Tiger Sport,  have a look at Joe Dirts sticky at the top of "Girly Charging Woes" section, its all there, he went for the 775AA in the end

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14996.0.html
2016 Tiger Sport

Ossian

I've been running a Shindengen SH775AA for a while now. I got it from a Polaris dealer for about £80 and the connecting link lead from Triumph (it's cheap)
It all seems good, and was a straightforward install.
If you want to read up on the reasoning for the use of this reg-rec, there is a lot of information here
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html
from the triumph.rat site

VABird

Can I presume that this is bad?
Also, RoadsterCycle.com is showing Shindengen SH847 Series R/Rs superceding SH775AA.
Any input on this?
Is RoadsterCycle the place to go?
Is there a preferred (upgraded) stator to replace stock?

Ossian

Quote from: VABird on July 02, 2017, 11:13:21 PM
Also, RoadsterCycle.com is showing Shindengen SH847 Series R/Rs superceding SH775AA.
Any input on this?
The link I referred to mentions that the SH847 is the new preferred choice for engines spending their time above 10,000rpms. ie. not necessary on Girlies. It also seems to be about 50% more expensive.

VABird

Can't say I've ever done 10K. No plans to start.

Timbox2

Just curious, if the Generator cover was a clock face was the burnt section at about 7 O'clock?
2016 Tiger Sport

VABird

Quote from: Timbox2 on July 03, 2017, 07:58:17 AM
Just curious, if the Generator cover was a clock face was the burnt section at about 7 O'clock?

No burn marks on the cover.
Stator shows no resistance across 3 connector prongs or prongs to ground. It appears dead.
Is there a preferred replacement?

Timbox2

Quote from: VABird on July 03, 2017, 01:43:49 PM
No burn marks on the cover.
Stator shows no resistance across 3 connector prongs or prongs to ground. It appears dead.

I didnt mean on the cover, just in relation to it. Dunno your side of the pond as regards replacement, Ive never had to replace one on either of my Girlies
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Quote from: VABird on July 03, 2017, 01:43:49 PM

Electrosport seem pretty well made
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport