News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlight wiring

Started by Misterplant, May 29, 2017, 06:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misterplant

Hello again chaps.i have a headlight wiring conundrum.i have mashed wires to the headlight assembly following theft/accident damage and I'm trying to solve the wiring jigsaw to connect new headlight connectors.hopefully I'm just being thick,so help appreciated.
I have two separate groups of wires,I'm taking to be one each per headlight.
No 1 is black-earth
Blue/pink live dip
Blue pink not live but circuit tests to hi
Purple/white nothing

No2 is black earth
Blue/white live hi beam
Blue/white not live but circuit tests to dip
Purple/pink nothing.
Sidelight yellow live,earth black works fine.
The wiring diagram shows both purples should be live?
Fuses are good,switch gear seems ok.what am I missing?

Misterplant

......I should add that I've tried the obvious solution of combining the two wire groups and interconnecting the lives to give me twin dip and twin hi beam with the extra blue/white running to hi beam indicator idiot light..but that doesn't feel right AND I've still got the purple/white and purple/pink wires unconnected and without power.
I is flummoxed !! :BangHead

Timbox2

Electrics aint my strong point really, only thing my diagram points at is both the purple wires are relay controlled, purple/white from the main beam relay, and purple/red(Pink) from dip beam relay. Has your bike got a lighting switch on the handlebar or are they on with ignition?
2016 Tiger Sport

Misterplant

Hi timbox,it's an 04 wire wheel jobby-I'm not sure if the later cast wheelers vary in electrics.the light switch is dip/main only,no on/off.
I also traced the purples connection to the relays,but can't suss what they connect to the headlight end!

Timbox2

Quote from: Misterplant on May 29, 2017, 11:38:11 PM
Hi timbox,it's an 04 wire wheel jobby-I'm not sure if the later cast wheelers vary in electrics.the light switch is dip/main only,no on/off.
I also traced the purples connection to the relays,but can't suss what they connect to the headlight end!

According to my diagram purple/white is feed for main beam on one headlight along with the blue/red for dip and the  purple/red(Pink) is dip beam for other headlight along with Blue/white for main. And all these wires are part of a sub-harness with a connector block that plugs in somewhere in the cowl area
2016 Tiger Sport

Misterplant

I havnt had time to investigate fully,but it looks like the headlight wiring comes straight out the main loom-no sub loom,and connecting in the purple/red to my joined together headlights make them stay on when the ignition is turned off,lol.
I've found a couple of looms up on eBay,with reasonable pics that seems to be without sub looms for headlight so I'm guessing pre cast wheels were different? Il keep you posted next forage.

Misterplant

Well,pretty sure I'm almost there,courtesy of this useful little schematic..and timbox of course  :notworthy.
Knowing that one headlight runs through a relay and the other doesn't helped a lot,the Haynes manual diagram is harder to make sense of! The other tricky bit as the original bulb connectors had gone,was establishing which connections were 1,2&3,easy when you've got there,lol.
Nothing's ever that simple though,and the passing switch isn't doing anything,though high beam is fine and all the switch contacts are cleaned and working.not the end of the world,but I hate it when things don't work and you don't know why!
Electrics-don't you just love em  :icon_scratch:

John Stenhouse

My passing light switch took two goes to get it to function, second time it all came apart and was cleaned and greased with a dab of silicon grease.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Misterplant

Yep,had all the switch apart,contacts cleaned and greased,no joy.i then had the headlights and relays disconnected while checking the speedo operation,reassembled and lo,the flasher now works,lol.
I've wiggled all the wires,road tested etc and still working,so I'm leaving it there. :augie