News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly vs Roadie vs Beakers vs Explorer - Forum participation

Started by atokad, July 03, 2017, 04:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atokad

I know that the 855i/955i have been around a long time, and the Roadies were only produced for a few years, but when you look at the number of posts/knowledge in the sub forums for each model, it appears to me Triumph had a really winner with the Girlies, but no so much with the other models.

What say you?

Timbox2

I know I will be shunned for blasphemy, but maybe there are other forums out there  :^_^
2016 Tiger Sport

Mustang

:ImaPoser
Quote from: Timbox2 on July 03, 2017, 08:39:18 AM
I know I will be shunned for blasphemy, but maybe there are other forums out there  :^_^
:cp :rfl :mut

Misterplant

Could it be that us owners of earlier models avail ourselves of the wisdom and technical knowledge collected over the years by this forums stalwart members?
In other words steamers and girlies are getting long in the tooth and needing more attention..and advice on problems,and these newer model owners are too busy riding them than talking about them  :bad

Ossian

It's all to do with aesthetics, you see. People tend to care more for stuff which is good to look upon. I like the look of my Girly and I think that the Steamer is rather fine to behold. However when it first came out and I went to McCallen's to see it, one look at the 800 and I was appalled how something so tacky could come from Triumph (sorry guys) and since then the adventure bikes to my eyes have continued to have looks only their mother could love. OK if you like 'Transformers' I guess.
So....   :^_^

London_Phil

As I've said before, if they did a FI conversion for the Steamer, I would have never changed it, BUT, now I have an XC, I see how things have improved technologically, but, the look of the older bike, damn.....

SteveFord

I always liked the Girlies because they're just so damned weird looking.  There's nothing else like it.
The first time I saw one it was what the hell is that thing?  That's from Triumph?!?

I've been looking at the 1050s lately, as an addition, not a replacement for my 06 955i.
It looks like a bit more power and better brakes, fuel injection and (maybe) suspension, sideways step for the luggage, backwards step for the passenger. 
MAYBE cracked pistons down the road.

Does that sound accurate?

Chris Canning

Re the other forums I alway chuckle when I see the stuff on the Rat and theirs way more info on here.

Re the girly I'll go into broken record mode and say i had 2 885i's and thought they were rubbish the 955 is another league and as I bought mine from new thats still the way I view it,if it needs money spending on then I do how much doesn't come into it,but I realise that if I'd bought one for a couple grand I'd have a different view.

Life after the 955!! I spent a lot of time deciding what to buy I'd tried various Multi's and a 1050 I've never 'Got' the Adventurer so if it didn't have 17" wheels it was never in the running the 1290 KTM's were also looked but Jeeze their salty price wise.

If my 955 had chucked a rod I'd have bought a 1050 without any bother but this Fly by wire lark is a game changer and I know Tim loves his 1050,but the only complaint I've ever had with my Tiger is lack of HP as the years have gone on the BM XR is just another league all the HP you'll ever need and some and a Quick shifter to back it up.

Down side!! It's bonkers and not everyone wants or needs thats.

My 955 still has its uses but mainly one up I have to say,but even with everything I've done to mine it's from another era,when I bought the XR I expected a bike another 3 steps up the ladder I got 10 which wasn't what I really wanted but I've ajusted now to the comfort of my 955 and the performance of my K1200.

Chris Canning

Quote from: SteveFord on July 06, 2017, 01:14:09 PM
I always liked the Girlies because they're just so damned weird looking.  There's nothing else like it.
The first time I saw one it was what the hell is that thing?  That's from Triumph?!?

I've been looking at the 1050s lately, as an addition, not a replacement for my 06 955i.
It looks like a bit more power and better brakes, fuel injection and (maybe) suspension, sideways step for the luggage, backwards step for the passenger. 

The 1050 I/we ride was Ok slightly quicker but not by much turned and stopped well and my other half was happy sat on the back,didn't like how my legs were all cramped up and the thought of a 5/600 mile didn't fill me with joy.

No good me comparing suspension cuz of having Ohlins on my 955 but when we rode home on the old girl from the Triumph dealer didn't have me rushing back to buy one,but of course that's comparing my much modded bike.

For me the big question is Tims 1050 flybywire I've not ridden it but for you guys looking for another option I wouldn't do anything till I had and make sure it's the latest Tim had a dealer try to fob him off with the old model  :icon_lol:

Timbox2

Quote from: SteveFord on July 06, 2017, 01:14:09 PM

From reading stuff on 1050 forum the piston issue was mainly early (07/08) bikes and pretty much USA  specific because of Ethanol
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

My 09 was remapped at the first service and that had already gone up three steps from when it left the factory, give them their due they were reacting.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HockleyBoy

Still on my second Girly and no plans to change, clock ticked over 98k miles this morning and she's still running fine! May look at an Explorer at some time but hopefully there are plenty of miles left in the Girly yet.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bigfeesh

I have a few bikes in my stable, one being a 07 Speed Triple but I always look forward to a spin out on me Girly, I delibarately look for rough roads and was well happy on the backroads of Eire and the minor roads around the Schwarzwald, mine is going nowhere soon, she's a keeper!  :bad
Tiptop