News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel pump (sometimes) Tiger 885i

Started by TR5TRIDER, July 03, 2017, 11:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

Recently my 2000 Tiger 885i has left me on the side of the road 2 times. After roadside exam of electrical connectors and fuses in order, to determine why I could not hear the fuel pump run after switching on ignition the problem still existed, no fuel pump prime/pressurization. Called for help to transport bike and upon arrival of transporter tried the ignition and did hear the pump so hit starter and bike fired and was able to ride back to base. Today the same thing happened and I left the bike in a churchyard while I called around for backup. I estimate elapsed time at 45 min. to 1 hr. Turned on ignition and heard the familiar fuel pump sound the old girl started and I was able to ride back to home.

I have used the search feature of this forum and found no help. I believe that the electrical connections are good as I cleaned and greased them and I did not see any corrosion. That leaves the pump and possibly the pressure regulator as the next places to investigate. Anyone recognize the symptoms? Does the fuel pump have a temperature sensing feature?

John Stenhouse

The ECU will have a temperature sensor, since it uses that to decide how much fuel to put in to start, but the pump itself wont.

Only thing I can think of from the top of my head is maybe the ignition switch, Key switch. They have been known to break connections on the back of the ignition block. Check the solder joints, I guess an easy way to check is next time it does it, give the wires at the back of the switch a wiggle.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

TR5TRIDER

It seems that the problem is cured by the passage of time. After some time passes the pump will agin become functional. So I am thinking that the problem is related to temperature and after a period of time (cooling?) the fuel pump is again functional.Will try wiggling wiring at ignition switch the next time this happen.

Timbox2

What you dont say is that if any other electrical issues appear at the same time? Do all the dash/ignition lights still come on when this happens? Does the starter spin? It may help pin point. As JS says ignition switch wiring is a known weak point, but so is main EFI relay and even a weak battery can give the symptoms
2016 Tiger Sport

John Stenhouse

Tim makes a good point and one that might be heat related, that's the EFI relay, next time it does it give it a tap.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Quote from: John Stenhouse on July 04, 2017, 11:47:06 AM
Tim makes a good point and one that might be heat related, that's the EFI relay, next time it does it give it a tap.

Cost me 30 quid and solved my problem.

TR5TRIDER

Tim,
All other electrical appears to be functional, starter spins & turns over engine, lights and instruments are all operational even the clutch and side stand switches operate as normal but the fuel pump is NOT running, when this fault is present. At this moment all is fine and the bike will crank, fire and run.  I shall try the wiggling wire at ignition switch suggestion while the bike is running to see if I can replicate the fuel pump failure. I am assuming that the typical failure of a fuel pumps sudden and permanent and perhaps that is incorrect and this is a fuel pump that is giving out by way of failure followed by temporary recovery.

tankerman

Does the fuel pump have a thermal cutout? Just a thought!

TR5TRIDER

I have just started the bike and performed the wiggle the wires at ignition diagnostic ploy and the result was my attempts at wire wiggling achieved no effect on the fuel pump's operation. Could it be that my wiggle technique is inadequate or would you think that the ignition switch wiring is now eliminated as the source of all evil?

Timbox2

I had the pump go on my last Girly, but the pump still made the normal sound, just didnt supply any pressure. Have you checked the obvious, the plug that goes to the fuel pump plate
2016 Tiger Sport

TR5TRIDER

Tim,
This is a recurring and intermittent fuel problem, that so far has only happened when on the road somewhere.
I have been unable to get the fuel pump problem to occur in my shop. I have not had a multi meter with me on the 2 occasions that the pump "failed" so while I checked connections and fuses i was unable to verify power at the fuel pump connector for lack of a test light or multimeter in my pocket. 

Chris Canning

Quote from: TR5TRIDER on July 04, 2017, 05:53:43 PM
Tim,
All other electrical appears to be functional, starter spins & turns over engine, lights and instruments are all operational even the clutch and side stand switches operate as normal but the fuel pump is NOT running,

Mine was exactly the same in fact when I was pressing the starter and the motor was just turning over and not firing Tim was sat next too me in the traffic with his new 1050.

It was only when I realised that when I turned the ignition on the relay and the fuel pump chimed in together no fuel pump no click in the relay,left hand stretched to the ignition right ear too the relay  :icon_biggrin:

TR5TRIDER

Chris,
I have ordered a replacement pump from the nice oriental gentleman on eBay for $30 USD. Hoping that this will solve the problem as did yours. Did your Triumph pump quit and stay or did it recover several times and then quit forever. I am wondering if these pumps typically expire after  several temporary failures. I am recollecting that I was stranded when my Chevrolet's pump quit and I was told that I might revive it by striking the fuel tank in the location of the pump, I followed the instructions and the thing started working again.' enabling me to drive to the shop for a replacement.

Timbox2

Quote from: TR5TRIDER on July 06, 2017, 04:12:23 AM
Chris,
I have ordered a replacement pump from the nice oriental gentleman on eBay for $30 USD. Hoping that this will solve the problem as did yours. Did your Triumph pump quit and stay or did it recover several times and then quit forever. I am wondering if these pumps typically expire after  several temporary failures. I am recollecting that I was stranded when my Chevrolet's pump quit and I was told that I might revive it by striking the fuel tank in the location of the pump, I followed the instructions and the thing started working again.' enabling me to drive to the shop for a replacement.

Chris' problem was cured by a new RELAY, not pump?
2016 Tiger Sport

TR5TRIDER

Thanks for that.
When checking Triumph service manual I find a caution that bikes post vin 89737 use a different electrical schematic. So, as my bike is beyond that number I referred to the appropriate schematic only to find there is no fuel pump relay indicated. Where to go now?