News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel pump (sometimes) Tiger 885i

Started by TR5TRIDER, July 03, 2017, 11:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

Since previous post I have checked the Haynes service manual and it mentions "fuel pump relay where fitted" perhaps indicating that there may not be a relay on my bike.

Timbox2

Quote from: TR5TRIDER on July 06, 2017, 05:38:13 PM
Thanks for that.
When checking Triumph service manual I find a caution that bikes post vin 89737 use a different electrical schematic. So, as my bike is beyond that number I referred to the appropriate schematic only to find there is no fuel pump relay indicated. Where to go now?

Its not a Fuel Pump relay as such, its what Triumph call the EFI relay or even ECM relay, its one of the relays near the fusebox but not sure which
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

If you go to World of Triumph

It's EFI relay number 30

TR5TRIDER

Further study of the Fuel System / Engine Management detail schematics indicates that there is no relay for the fuel pump circuit. So now that a faulty relay is out of the mix now enters the ECM as a possible source of the problem or might also be a faulty ground if the ECM is not the ground.

Chris Canning

The relay is what I mentioned EFI relay number 30 when that didn't click I still had power for lights etc and it would even turn the motor over but it wouldn't prime the fuel pump and hence not fire.

Tim had the fuel pump go belly up mine was just above.

Sin_Tiger

The ECU controls the fuel pump operation on the Keihin ECU's, the relay Chris and Tim are referring to is the one that supplies power to the ECU I/O circuits.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 06, 2017, 11:43:55 PM
The ECU controls the fuel pump operation on the Keihin ECU's, the relay Chris and Tim are referring to is the one that supplies power to the ECU I/O circuits.

Think its similar on the Sagem too, and what can happen and think this happened to Chris's bike is that if the relay is a bit flaky it doesnt supply enough voltage to the ECM and hence ECM doesnt supply volts to pump
2016 Tiger Sport

TR5TRIDER

I'm back, lot's going on in my life, 14 year old grandson has come to live with me building a new room for him, bought a laptop Windoze computer and loaded on TuneEcu, drivers etc. bike shows 3 error codes; P0135 O2 sensor, P0463 fuel sensor and P0230 fuel pump relay default. I have ordered a new relay and trust this will put an end to the bike leaving me on the side of the road. Thank you all for the replies and help. Hoping that TuneECU is going to be a good diagnostic tool.

Bixxer Bob

If you clear the codes, just check back on the O2 sensor fault.  If it shows again and is iffy, you'll be trimming the fuelling out of range massively rich or weak depending on which way it's failed.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TR5TRIDER

Bob,
I have not cleared the O2 sensor fault code and cannot find the actual sensor which I believe Triumph refers to as a lambda sensor on the wiring diagram (from vin 89737) it is keyed as #45, nor is there the box / catalyst in the exhaust system that the sensor would be fitted to. It would seem previous owner did some mods that eliminated the sensor and box. As the O2 sensor info seems to be unavailable to the ECU I have no idea where to start, the bike runs well although fuel consumption is usually 35 / 37 mpg which may be a bit excessive.

Bixxer Bob

Ok.  Mine didn't have a catalyst, just a down pipe link pipe and can.  The O2 sensor was in the down pipe on the right hand side.  If you don't have one I suspect the previous owner will have plugged an O2 sensor eliminator into the loom under the tank on top of the cylinder head on the left hand side.  Don't worry about the other loose plug under there, it's for the California emmisions crap that most don't have.  If the owner has fitted a bypass it's just a black plastic device as shown.  If not, that would explain the error message.

Your fuel consumption is high,  55 mpg taking it easy, 45mpg otherwise.  They are English gallons.

Sooo,  if you don't have a sensor in the pipe you need to check whether you have a bypass.  If you don't have a bypass you should think about getting one.  Once you have one fitted blow in a complete fresh map and you should be good to go although you might have to play with those IACV steps some more.

Incidentally,  in thses circumstances, to make sure the whole map is re-installedand the trims reset, not just reflashing the tables, I used to load a non- tiger map, then load a clean tiger map.  It's the only was I was confident that the trim settings had been cleared and I was starting from a factory-fresh baseline.  Seemed to work.  Good luck!!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TR5TRIDER

Bob,
Thank you for the helpful info. I have looked at the downpipes and from what is visible without removing stone shield? there is no O2 sensor in the headers. I am unable to investigate further as I have just returned from hospital where I have been diagnosed as having a broken humerus (not humorous) on the right side (I am right handed) and this is seriously limiting my wrenching and riding abilities, such as they are. It may be a few weeks before I am able to ascertain sensor / bypass etc Rats, we are just coming into primo riding weather and I am going to miss my annual ride to Leeds, AL for the Vintage Fest at Barber.

Timbox2

On the 885 the O2 sensor, if fitted, was in the pipe just before the square collector/catalyst box underneath the rear of the engine
2016 Tiger Sport

TR5TRIDER

The bike is a 2000 model Tiger vin 94984, there is no collector / catalyst box and all the piping looks as if factory. What will be the advantage of omitting / bypassing this sensor? The can is the Triumph TOR version so the exhaust system has been modified but until I regain use of my arm I will not know more such as sensor bypass, wiring, etc.

Chris Canning

When the TOR was sold for the 885i it came as a kit,you had a straight through pipe that replaced the square collector.

Despite having two 885i's engine and electrics they have zero in common with the 955 and I never tried the an 02 plug on either of the 885's because no such thing was available at the time.

The discussion with or without the 02 tends go go around in circles like the plug itself  :icon_wink:

I ran my second 885i with the TOR and bypass pipe to be honest I can't even remember if it had the map to go with it but what I do remember the engine ran better with the square collector can on and it gave more bottom end torque where as with the straight through pipe it gave more top end and to try and give the motor as easy time as pos put a 19 tooth engine sprocket on.