News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Running on 2 cycliners

Started by Ron in Buffalo, July 11, 2017, 09:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron in Buffalo

Help got up this morning went to go for aride it started up normally. Got out of driveway came to the first stop when I exclarated the bike it pop and it was running on 2 cycliners. Two weeks ago I had the gas tank off and put it back on in the process I knock the radiator cap lose and it leak after I started it. I close the cap and after I started the bike the engine light came on and never went off. I rode it a 1000 miles this past week with the engine light on no problems until this morning any and all help would be appreciated.

John Stenhouse

When you say a thousand miles this week, how many times did you let the bike stop and cool right down again? The light should go off after three cold to hot cycles. If you've done more than that you have something bringing a fault code up repeatedly.

When you tightened the rad cap did you take the tank off to do that?

First guess would be a coil.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Ron in Buffalo

John I did take tank off to tighten radiator cap off. Yes I let the engine cool 3 times light stay on. Also it's running on 2 cycliners now.

John Stenhouse

So, from that, theres a code coming up repeatedly, time to take the tank off again I'm afraid.

Check all your vac lines and the IACV valve piping, then if all that's intact try swapping a coil from the working cylinder to the non working one.

Unless you have a lap top and cable for tune ecu?

Ron in Buffalo

John I have a old laptop that has Windows 7, I use it with my gs911 on my k1200rs. What cord do I need and what software do I need to download. Not affaid of take tank off again. So  I got a place to start. I appreciate you offer advise so quickly. Ron

Ron in Buffalo

John I just bought a VAG 409 KKL + Fiat ECU Scan I hope this is the right unit off of eBay. It will be Tuesday. Ron

John Stenhouse

Ron, all you need is in the sticky section at the top of the page, link here

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8852.0.html

John Stenhouse

It isn't difficult, My windows 7 laptop does it just fine so I can't see you having too many problems

Ron in Buffalo

Well got the back to the tiger. I had a coil pack torx bolt was strip. I replace it and 2 others with helicoils for a total of 3. I put it back together use the tuneecu(man that was a nightmare but I did get it working) clear all error code. Started it up it idles Very Rough.  Also the boot on #2 coil pack is torn. Guys as always I would appreciate all and any assistance on what I need to do next.

Timbox2

Quote from: Ron in Buffalo on July 31, 2017, 11:41:55 PM
Well got the back to the tiger. I had a coil pack torx bolt was strip. I replace it and 2 others with helicoils for a total of 3. I put it back together use the tuneecu(man that was a nightmare but I did get it working) clear all error code. Started it up it idles Very Rough.  Also the boot on #2 coil pack is torn. Guys as always I would appreciate all and any assistance on what I need to do next.

Slow down Ron, you cleared the error codes but what were they? They could be a clue to whats wrong
2016 Tiger Sport

Ron in Buffalo

Long story not going to bore with details. But the laptop I was using was a POS. So I  I got tried of trying to make it work so I went to Best Buy and bought an Android tablet. Then I went to Google Play Store and bought the TuneECU app. I put it on the bike and work like a charm. I know my fuel sensor is bad and has been bad for a long time. However on the ignition coil what is my next step. So here error codes that the Tuneecu app showed.

PO351
Ignition coil 1 circuit malfunction

PO462
Fuel level  sensor circuit low input

P1351
Ignition coil 1, open circuit or short circuit

Again any help is appreciated. Thanks Ron

Timbox2

So, tank off again Im afraid,  swap coil 1 with 2 or 3, all back together and try again. If fault moves its the coil, if it doesnt its the wiring
2016 Tiger Sport

Ron in Buffalo

Thanks Tim will do I will post results.

Ron in Buffalo

To those who are interested I had to reprogrammed the ecu map. Now it purs like a kitten. Thanks Ron

Ron in Buffalo

I lied still having issue with ecu map let see where Mr. Dirt moves this one.