News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Breather p/n T1100107 installation

Started by TR5TRIDER, June 01, 2017, 03:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

This post is a follow up to my prior post relative to the breather oil seal. Has anyone had experienced a problem fitting new style breather to the crankshaft? My 2000 885i Tiger has been leaking oil at the seal of the breather.  I obtained breather and seal from Triumph dealer and then attempted to fit the new and improved breather only to find that it would not fit into the crankshaft as the breather part that should enter the crankshaft is between .001" and .002' larger than the hole in crankshaft  Have requested dealer to ask Triumph for clarification but have had no satisfaction from there. The new improved breather surely not meant to be an interference fit as there is no provision for polling it once fitted.  Have you any suggestions or advice please.

Timbox2

Havent got a scooby mate, I know they modded the breather but I thought it was the seal side (Tapered and longer). You might want to go ask on the Triumph Torque site, think a few have had more experience with breather issues over there with the Daytona's etc.
2016 Tiger Sport

John Stenhouse

There are two breathers listed on the parts fiche, you know which one to fit by chassis number. Check you have the right one.

I fitted one to my 885 and was unsucessful in getting it to seal, took it to my local dealer who fitted another one which so far has worked perfectly.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Timbox2

Quote from: John Stenhouse on June 02, 2017, 12:31:34 AM
There are two breathers listed on the parts fiche, you know which one to fit by chassis number. Check you have the right one.

I fitted one to my 885 and was unsucessful in getting it to seal, took it to my local dealer who fitted another one which so far has worked perfectly.

I think your talking about the seal John, this is the rotary breather itself that bolts to the end of the crankshaft, only one listed
2016 Tiger Sport

TR5TRIDER

Yes, I am having problem with the centrifugal breather p/n T1100107. Specifically the breather has a dowel or locater pin on the face toward the crankshaft which is to be in sorted into the crank and that dowel/pin is greater in dis. than the corresponding hole in the crank therefor making it unable too fit the breather without modification. I want to know if others have had this experience.

TR5TRIDER

Triumph's answer to my problem is to try to find the discontinued part and supply that. That could take a while methinks so.....Well hope I have the bitch sorted, chucked the breather into a lathe and using various grades of emery cloth and crocus cloth polished of .001" and now the breather fits onto the crankshaft. Poor quality control? The part place of origin is Malaysia or Myopia.

TR5TRIDER

After further discussion with dealer and Triumph NA it seems that the part no T1100107 indicated in the schematic drawings is in error and the correct part number is T1100105. Triumph supplied the correct part and mystery solved. So, after 17 years the schematic is still incorrect.

Timbox2

Quote from: TR5TRIDER on July 01, 2017, 04:45:00 AM
After further discussion with dealer and Triumph NA it seems that the part no T1100107 indicated in the schematic drawings is in error and the correct part number is T1100105. Triumph supplied the correct part and mystery solved. So, after 17 years the schematic is still incorrect.

Sort of makes sense, the higher number then is the one for the later twin cylinder bikes, so anybody with a Bonneville or similar will get supplied wrong too as T1100105 is listed for them??
2016 Tiger Sport