News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 955i - Harsh shifting

Started by DavidR8, August 15, 2017, 08:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidR8

31k miles, fresh service.
Rode to work this morning all good. On the ride home, shifting went from a missed 2->3 shift to harsh shifting in all gears. When this has happened before it's been because oil level has dropped.
I just checked it and it's up to spec.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Girly, stone stock!

HockleyBoy

06 Girly, could be clutch plates sticking
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

Agree, but just look at whether the clutch is dragging and needs adjusting.  Always do the simple stuff first.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JoeDirt

My '01 is clunky through the whole spectrum... I just wear thinker boots.  :augie

Timbox2

Quote from: JoeDirt on August 17, 2017, 02:24:32 PM
My '01 is clunky through the whole spectrum... I just wear thinker boots.  :augie

Whats a Thinker Boot?  Is it like a pondering shoe :rfl
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 17, 2017, 09:55:53 AM
Agree, but just look at whether the clutch is dragging and needs adjusting.  Always do the simple stuff first.

+1. Who serviced it? Check chain too, as we know Girlies dont like it tight, oo err.
2016 Tiger Sport

DavidR8

My regular Triumph dealer serviced it.
Clutch has little to no drag and chain is slack as per common wisdom.

2006 Girly, stone stock!

Timbox2

There have been a few reported issues with some of the last of the 955's that got the 1050 clutch, but that is definitely down to sticky or dragging clutch plates caused by not enough oil getting to the plates, plenty of info about this on the Tiger 1050 Forum, Hamlin Cycles in the US is the expert over there.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: DavidR8 on August 29, 2017, 11:00:16 PM
My regular Triumph dealer serviced it.
Clutch has little to no drag and chain is slack as per common wisdom.

I guess you mean you trust your regular Triumph dealer.  Being a dealer dowsn'tmean shit anymore; a lot of dealers over here won't touchthe old Triumphs anymore because their young techs aren't trained on them.  Think on, a 5 yr apprenticeship but the bikes are 10 yrs old.  And they aren't taught to think and repair any more, they're taught to follow protocols and parts swap.

So probably the question should have been "Was it doing it before it was serviced..."?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...